• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

The only difference is that they play in such an un competitive league where their one of 3 sides that can win the league where as we have double that

But 100% it's the club id most compare us to and I used the example of Felipe Luis as an Example last night of how a manager can make a player better

Yea, totally agree. They have an easier road to the Top 4, but if you win any competition that Real Madrid and Barcelona are also in, that's a hell of an achievement.

First season, lose Modric before a ball's been kicked - lose out on a direct replacement because Levy spent four months haggling for Moutinho and ended up haggling past the deadline (something he was probably quite happy with, in the end). Figure out that Bale is ready to become a world-class CAM, play him there and finish with a record points total anyway, despite having a defense unsuited to any sort of high line or pressing game. Next season, lose Bale, lose out on multiple first-choice targets (from Villa to Willian) and get told to integrate the alternate Magnificent Seven into the side straight away, no time allowed for adjustment or adaptation.

But yes, it was *AVB* who threw his toys out of the pram in that scenario. Sigh.
great post there. ;)

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/people-used-google-pochettino-spurs-boss-responds-rose

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino concedes he was probably the subject of a few Google searches when he first arrived in the Premier League.

The 45-year-old former Argentina defender turned towards personal experience when assessing the outspoken comments by left-back Danny Rose that threaten to overshadow Spurs' 2017-18 opener at Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Sunday.

England international Rose told The Sun he wanted Tottenham to improve their squad with top class players and "not players you have to Google and say, 'Who's that?'".

Rose also suggested he does not earn his full worth under Tottenham's wage structure and questioned the depth of quality in Pochettino's squad – remarks he apologised for on Friday.

Pochettino is happy to draw a line under the controversy but pointed to the achievements of Rose' England colleagues Eric Dier and Dele Alli to underline the folly of the full-back's stance.

"When you sign players like Eric Dier, who are internationals today, nobody knew [who he was]... or Dele Alli, who was in League One," the former Southampton boss told a pre-match news conference.

"I don't think it's a matter to joke about because with some of the international players, maybe one or two years ago, none of us knew them very well.

"Also, when I first arrived here, people wanted to know, 'who is Mauricio Pochettino?' too.

"If you remember five years ago, people said 'who is Pochettino?' I'm sure they used Chrome or Google or Yahoo to find out."

Poch is very clear on his priorities, cup wise. I love that we have such an ambitious manager. More so because after the last couple of seasons it all feels achievable.
(Daily Fail link, so I've extracted the main bits)

He said: 'We need to push Tottenham. Sometimes there are a lot of comments that, "Ok, now Tottenham need a trophy". No, no, no, no. We need a big trophy. A big trophy is Premier League or Champions League.

'Because, if not, we prepare the team to win the FA Cup or League Cup and you are in the middle of the table, or sixth, or seventh. I would be disappointed.

'It would mean nothing for me to win the League Cup or the FA Cup even though they are important. For me, the principal reason I am here is to try to challenge for the Premier League and the Champions League, to compete in the best competition in the world.'

'I don't say that it's not important to win the League Cup or the FA Cup or the Europa League,' he said. 'But for me, we need to put Tottenham every season with the possibility to win the Premier League and to win the Champions League, the two most important trophies.

'If one day, I am not capable to win the Premier League here with Tottenham, or we don't have the chance to win the Premier League, I think it will be very disappointing. I want to win the Premier League. I want to win the Champions League.

'You can win the FA Cup because of the draw, or the League Cup because of the draw, or the Europa League because the big clubs are more focused on the other competitions. For me, to win a trophy means to win the Premier League or the Champions League.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hettino-says-winning-FA-Cup-mean-nothing.html

Poch is very clear on his priorities, cup wise. I love that we have such an ambitious manager. More so because after the last couple of seasons it all feels achievable.

He said: 'We need to push Tottenham. Sometimes there are a lot of comments that, "Ok, now Tottenham need a trophy". No, no, no, no. We need a big trophy. A big trophy is Premier League or Champions League.

'Because, if not, we prepare the team to win the FA Cup or League Cup and you are in the middle of the table, or sixth, or seventh. I would be disappointed.

'It would mean nothing for me to win the League Cup or the FA Cup even though they are important. For me, the principal reason I am here is to try to challenge for the Premier League and the Champions League, to compete in the best competition in the world.'

'I don't say that it's not important to win the League Cup or the FA Cup or the Europa League,' he said. 'But for me, we need to put Tottenham every season with the possibility to win the Premier League and to win the Champions League, the two most important trophies.

'If one day, I am not capable to win the Premier League here with Tottenham, or we don't have the chance to win the Premier League, I think it will be very disappointing. I want to win the Premier League. I want to win the Champions League.

'You can win the FA Cup because of the draw, or the League Cup because of the draw, or the Europa League because the big clubs are more focused on the other competitions. For me, to win a trophy means to win the Premier League or the Champions League.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hettino-says-winning-FA-Cup-mean-nothing.html

It'll be worth remembering this when the inevitable complaints come about his league cup team selections.

In other words, as the great Billy Nich once said 'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we at Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'

Poch's comments may disappoint certain posters on here who desperately hanker after ANY pot regardless. But in identifying his top priorities he is not excluding the possibility of us also winning one (or more) of the others. He is simply acknowledging that success in the minor trophies must necessarily be a secondary aspiration. That is all.

Last edited:
Also, love that he's getting digs in on rival managers. I don't know enough about media management and 'mind games' to know how well calculated this is, but Poch seems to have really ramped it up over the last year or so.
Good to see him holding his own with Mourinho, Conte, et al.

Especially love the way he manages to pull off either a tickled or bemused expression at pressers whenever interviewers ask pointed or ridiculous questions. Another of his tricks is to look at whoever is beside him as if to ask with mock surprise, did he really say that? and then combines his responses with a crafty twinkle in his eye and enigmatically condescending smile as he delivers the coup-de-grace.

Our man at pressers is an absolute genius, so much more fun than Mourinho.

Back