1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by DubaiSpur, 27 May 2014.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Terry Dyson Staff Member

So why would we settle?

Mediocrity is not an option.

2. Nigeyman

Nigeyman Dean Austin

What do you think this is fking hide and seek
    No ask away...

love puff is a discreet fart...silent but violent...a ghost/stealth fart.

3. billyiddo

billyiddo Les Howe Staff Member

I don't think we'd be settling in this instance, it's a poor season and everyone would know the need to improve on it going forwards - it's just taking a long term view rather than being a short-termist

4. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Ah HA! And to think, I am a master of said-art...or should I say, I am "full of love" :)

Nigeyman likes this.
  5. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Neil Ruddock

I’d take fifth this season, a lot of being a happy fan is watching your team winning on a regular basis. If we finished fifth our form would be pretty good from this point on.

6. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Chris Jones

Or just a couple of wins would get us there
    The table below top 4 is stupidly tight which shows how mediocre some teams are

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  7. scaramanga

I'm taking a long term view - that long term view is one that started a few years ago, was based around constant improvement and never finishing outside the top 4.

galeforce likes this.
  8. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

So simple! Have less money that our competitors and yet never finish below them. Good strategy.

Robspur12 likes this.
  9. BrainOfLevy

to offer a slightly less glib response...I think it is possible that we have the best people in position and they are doing all they can reasonably be expected to do, but external, competitive and sporting pressures and factors mean that despite the ideal being to not finish below the top 4, sometimes it can still happen. Just saying we want it doesn’t mean we will get it, and it doesn’t mean anyone is actually in the wrong jobs. Sometimes it can just happen.

Robspur12 likes this.
  10. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Chris Jones

Leicester do knock your view here

11. BrainOfLevy

they won the league once, then slipped down to mid table, and this season isn’t over yet. Once they can say they consistently ‘never finished outside the top 4’ for a sustained run I’ll accept it knocks my view.

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Chris Jones

well right now their well on course

13. billyiddo

billyiddo Les Howe Staff Member

Awesome

14. tynesidespur

tynesidespur Espen Baardsen

I decided to re-watch that game during the summer to try and reach some sort of closure.

What that showed me:

- we gave away a controversial penalty in the opening minute which kills any momentum
    - both sides were poor but actually Spurs were more progressive with the ball and had more possession
    - Liverpool could not keep possession effectively or get their front 3 into the game. FB's were also nullified.
    - Although Kane wasn't at his best he dropped deep and pulled van Dijk out on 2-3 occasions which allowed Son chances to open up their defence.
    - We were 1 good pass or shot away from scoring.
    - We were pushing harder towards the end - the 2nd goal came against the run of play

The coaching staff had managed the game effectively, nullified their threat and their practised system had created us 3 clear openings where we were 3 v 3 against their defence. At that point coaching goes out of the window, it is down to the players to make the correct decisions to create a scoring chance. I don't think the manager or his staff could do anymore than lay it on a plate for them.
    It goes back to that question that you've referred to previously...perhaps this team/squad are, when it comes down to it, just short of delivering on the big stage when it really matters.

Bullet, Pirate55, SteveAWOL and 8 others like this.
  15. Robspur12

Robspur12 Simon Davies

Incidentally a habit that only Poch has been able to maintain in the last nearly 30 years of our time in the PL. 27 years it has taken us to consistently become a top 4 club. And we want to throw away the manager who achieved it because we've not managed to transition between one team and the next smoothly when we have had so many challenges to that transition.

16. scaramanga

I think we've got the 2nd best team in the country. Some might (wrongly) argue 3rd best. I'd imagine some particularly strange people might even suggest 4th best.

Assuming even a generous 4th best as a premise, that means an entirely bang average, run of the mill, nothing special manager should have us in the top 4. That's ignoring the over achievement that Poch has shown in the past, ignoring that he's shown we can achieve a lot more than 4th. Just turning up and doing an average job would have us in 4th.

There is no excuse whatsoever for this performance over this length of time. There's no way our entire squad has deteriorated physically in this short a space of time - they're not there mentally, tactically or a mixture of both. It's on Poch to fix that, it's been deteriorating for over a year and shows no sign of improving.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2019
    Pirate55, Raziel, Nigeyman and 3 others like this.
  17. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Ramon Vega

Who did you have 1st? City? Or the current European champions and PL league leaders (by 8 points)?

18. scaramanga

City by a very long margin.

19. thfcsteff

I agree!
    Did the same and concluded that 20% more from Eriksen would’ve been the difference. I do also think Dele was just coming to life, would not have been my sub.
    But yes, overall I agree, mgmt had it set up well...

tynesidespur likes this.
  20. thfcsteff

Scara. He has been trying. Repeatedly.