• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Kyle walker reminds me a lot of Glen Johnson. Good going forwards and athletically, but not a great defender. He is still young of course, plenty of time to improve.

He has been excellent considering its his first season. Has a fair bit of improving to do though

I don't rate Johnson that highly, but to be fair to Johnson he is a better player than Walker. Johnson was better at 18 than Walker is now.

I've always thought Ekotto and Kaboul were poor. And my mind has been made up about Walker not based on the last three games, but over the course of this season.

It must fudging amaze you that we're 3rd then, considering 3/4 of our defence is so poor. Who else in our team is as poor as these deadweights?

It must fudging amaze you that we're 3rd then, considering 3/4 of our defence is so poor. Who else in our team is as poor as these deadweights?

The midfield. I think we have an outstanding fully fit midfield, and our possession play (mainly thanks to Modric and Parker) is superb. Us having more possession equates to less pressure on the defence. Less pressure on the defence means they'll make less mistakes (even though mistake vs situation will remain the same). Finally being punished for mistakes is what most fans see. But take Ekotto over the last two seasons. I just sit there counting bad mistakes, but hardly any of them were punished (mainly down to poor crossing, or finishing, from the opposition). Sooner or later was going to run out and it certainly did against Arsenal.

We need to get back to basics again, and pick the right team. Parker/Modric in the centre is our key. Due to the excellent possession they both provide it's actually more defensively solid than playing two out and out DM's.

The midfield. I think we have an outstanding fully fit midfield, and our possession play (mainly thanks to Modric and Parker) is superb. Us having more possession equates to less pressure on the defence. Less pressure on the defence means they'll make less mistakes (even though mistake vs situation will remain the same). Finally being punished for mistakes is what most fans see. But take Ekotto over the last two seasons. I just sit there counting bad mistakes, but hardly any of them were punished (mainly down to poor crossing, or finishing, from the opposition). Sooner or later was going to run out and it certainly did against Arsenal.

We need to get back to basics again, and pick the right team. Parker/Modric in the centre is our key. Due to the excellent possession they both provide it's actually more defensively solid than playing two out and out DM's.

If you're looking for it, then you'll see pretty much every player in almost every team in the league makes multiple mistakes each game - it's why players like Modric and King (before this season) stand out so much.

Different people have different opinions on the seriousness of certain types of mistakes when it's really more about whether the team is punished as a result.

That's just the style of football played in the Premier League.

I think a lot of Walker's hype comes from the fact he's the antithesis of Corluka. We've gone from a labouring right back, to a marauding one, which is inherently exciting.

However, I think he's a classic case of a player looking threatening, but more often than not, failing to be threatening. His crossing is very poor, as is his link up play and his dribbling looks uncontrolled. Saying that, he is young, his one on one defending is very good and he can learn to cross.

On balance, I still think Corluka offers more at the moment, if only because of his exceptional link up play with Lennon.

Who in their right mind would bash walker after ONE SEASON, when we put up with hutton for 3 seasons?!

It's just every time a young, promising English play comes to ythe surface we all assume he's the next Messi. I call it the Rooney syndrome (people like Beckham or Owen had it much easier). Walker is a really good defender but he's far from world class.

Name one person who has said that Walker is world class, the best RB in the PL, or even the finished article?

Rating him as a very good young player, with bags of potential doesnt mean that you think he's world class.

As the Proclaimers once said;

"And Kyle would run 500 Hundred Miles
and KYLE would run 500 hundred more,
just to be the player who runs a 1000 miles for Spurs and then he scores...
KYLE WALKER (Kyle Walker)
Runner-run-runner-run-runner-run-runner-run runner run!!"

As the Proclaimers once said;

"And Kyle would run 500 Hundred Miles
and KYLE would run 500 hundred more,
just to be the player who runs a 1000 miles for Spurs and then he scores...
Runner-run-runner-run-runner-run-runner-run runner run!!"

I like it ...maybe a few tweeks needed for line 3 but I like it.

Apart from his crossing thought he had a good game against Stoke. Praise where it's due.

I agree, apart from his marking at set plays he's been at about his best lately. Maybe not as exciting going forward as his most exciting matches, but I think that's more down to space available to him. But looking increasingly closer to solid.

Name one person who has said that Walker is world class, the best RB in the PL, or even the finished article?

Rating him as a very good young player, with bags of potential doesnt mean that you think he's world class.

Quite a few were saying that he should be starting for England earlier this season. Ahead of Richards (and Johnson). Also saw people saying that he was better or as good as Sagna. That's pretty close to the best right back in the league.

But I agree, I find the claim that he is the most overrated player in our squad very harsh. Most people rate him like you do.

typically a fast overlapping RB will need 3 things to excel:
1. a right mid to hold ground while he skips ahead
2. strikers to anticipate his runs and get into positions
3. fast organized defence to shift "one place right" when he attacks.

he's doing quite well considering that we don't really excel at all 1,2 or 3.

I reckon he plays a lot better with Lennon than most people expected he would. Whenever Azza's played with attacking right backs like Hutton or Johnson (for England), he's been poor, especially compared with how he played with Corluka or Stalteri behind him. I actually think that part of the reason why Walker's not seemed as effective recently is that he's had to do all the attacking down the right wing himself, whereas usually it's been shared with him and Lennon, and they've got something of an understanding with each other (of course not to the same level as Corluka had with him though). Once Lennon's back in the team, Walker will look better attack wise.
Most overrated player on this board? Definitely not. I reckon that goes to BAE. And I say this knowing that I probably overrate him myself, just absolutely love the way he plays, probably makes me ignore his faults.

A player that has done well in his first full season as Spurs pro and he gets slaughtered. Fantastic

Is he the complete defender? No but will he improve as time goes on? I believe so. Defending, out of all positions maybe bar keeping is a skill that you develop more as you get older. Give the lad the time or at least the chance to prove his worth rather than slaughter him.

Like I said I would rather say he has maybe a very promising start that ÔÇ£most overrated playerÔÇØ

I do think he would've been average if he wasn't so lightning fast, but you could say that about Bale and Lennon too.

His speed makes up for some of his positional errors, but he is still young and can improve defensively. He has all the attributes to be a top player, if he improves tactically, IMO. Definetely a great prospect to have at the club, and for his first full season he's done very well overall.

typically a fast overlapping RB will need 3 things to excel:
1. a right mid to hold ground while he skips ahead
2. strikers to anticipate his runs and get into positions
3. fast organized defence to shift "one place right" when he attacks.

he's doing quite well considering that we don't really excel at all 1,2 or 3.

You missed the most important attribute of all. The ability to defend.

You missed the most important attribute of all. The ability to defend.

I agree. But I believe he will improve. What worries me the most about him is his tendancy to switch off and lose the player he's supposed to be marking like he did against Emirates Marketing Project for two of their 3 goals and against United a few weeks ago.

Back