• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

For me winks is no better that Bentelab, Mason or even Stephen Clemence if you can remember back that far. He certainly isn't a bad player, but he isn't a top four player. Let's put it this way, I can't see Emirates Marketing Project, Chelski or Utd putting a bid in for him. My prediction is that he will be sold on to a Hull or a West Ham within two years.
He may end up not being quite good enough to nail down a starting spot at Spurs (although IMO he definitely will). However he will certainly do a bit better than Hull or West Ham. While he might not quite be good enough for us, he would easily be a first choice player for a club at the level of (say) Arsenal. Although I doubt he would actually want to play for them. What are your thoughts on this Simon?.... and your thoughts on Arsenal in general?

If you look at how well Tom Carroll has done for Swansea it shows some of fringe squad undoubtably has quality. The issue is if players like Mason, Carroll, Winks get enough playing time to be able to come in and do a job.

Both Trippier and Davies looked horrible when they came back into the team, but with some playing time regularly both are playing very well.

If you look at how well Tom Carroll has done for Swansea it shows some of fringe squad undoubtably has quality. The issue is if players like Mason, Carroll, Winks get enough playing time to be able to come in and do a job.

Both Trippier and Davies looked horrible when they came back into the team, but with some playing time regularly both are playing very well.

I agree but i cannot think of a single game where Winks has looked horrible and Poch has not been shy of putting him on in some really big games.

If Winks turns out to be another Mason, we should consider him a success. That would mean that he had three years of being a key, dependable squad member before being sold for a decent fee and replaced by the next player from the academy production line. If he achieves more than this then we will have done really well.

If Winks turns out to be another Mason, we should consider him a success. That would mean that he had three years of being a key, dependable squad member before being sold for a decent fee and replaced by the next player from the academy production line. If he achieves more than this then we will have done really well.
Say what you like about Mason, and I agree that he isn't the most talented midfielder ever to put on the lilywhite shirt (or yellow or Spurple or whatever), but he never gave less than 100% effort. His winner against Sunderland, where he went in hard and knackered himself, is a perfect example. The likes of him, Jake Livermore and even Jamie O'Hara would absolutely breeze into most of our '90s and '00s sides.

I just think Onomah isn't good enough, maybe not as a player, but for Poch's system.

Poch's system is tough, lot of players simply won't make the grade, part of it is physical, part of it is intelligence.
It's not just Poch's system. We are #2 in the league and still chasing for the title.

Good article on Winksy today:
http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/harry-winks-tottenham-developed-new-luka-modric/

The youngster had a match-high 114 touches, and misplayed only one of 99 passes. In fact, of 297 pass attempts in the FA Cup thus far, Winks has conceded possession just 17 times.
Basically playing almost entirely 1- and 2-touch football. Nice.

As a result, his performances have reportedly caught the eye from further afield than one might expect, with reports from Spain suggesting their FA have been investigating whether he is illegible for La Roja due to his Spanish grandparents.
At least the rest of our players can "read" his play.

I'll get me coat...

I take it you one of those people that believe a post has be positive or not worth posting. SAD

Positive or negative has little to do with the criticisms you are receiving. It is about being constructive. You have offered no constructive
criticism to support your bluntly stated opinions. All you appear to have done is repeat them. Do you have a reason for this?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I agree but i cannot think of a single game where Winks has looked horrible and Poch has not been shy of putting him on in some really big games.

Agree fully. And in a role in the team where most players take some time to mature.

Will be interesting to see how many more starts he gets this season. No cup games against lower league teams left and no lower priority games left either. I hope to see him get plenty of time on the pitch.

Agree fully. And in a role in the team where most players take some time to mature.

Will be interesting to see how many more starts he gets this season. No cup games against lower league teams left and no lower priority games left either. I hope to see him get plenty of time on the pitch.

We have at least 3 midweek games left iirc (Swansea and re-arranged games v Palace and Leicester) so I'd expect him to start a couple of those or the games sandwiching those fixtures, as Dembele doesn't seem capable of too many games that are close together.

Last edited:
We have at least 3 midweek games left iirc (Swansea and re-arranged games v Palace and Leicester) so I'd expect him to start a couple of those or the games sandwiching those fixtures, as Dembele doesn't seem capable of too mane games that are close together.

True. Mentioned somewhere that Dembele is a doubt for the Southampton game too.

@braineclipse @the dza it is getting close to the stage where i do not feel that we are weaker with Winks starting over Dembele. Certainly the drop off is not significant.
Agree, however Dembele is still needed against the big boys - his presence is a massive plus and not to be underestimated despite Winks' obvious talents....

Agree, however Dembele is still needed against the big boys - his presence is a massive plus and not to be underestimated despite Winks' obvious talents....

I'd agree with that at the moment but i would not be overly worried if Dembele was out and Winks was deputising.

I could also see us getting to the point where we decide that a passer is better than a ball holder against some of those big teams.

We have at least 3 midweek games left iirc (Swansea and re-arranged games v Palace and Leicester) so I'd expect him to start a couple of those or the games sandwiching those fixtures, as Dembele doesn't seem capable of too many games that are close together.

I'm not sure that he's not capable, but Poch certainly seems to be managing his workload, presumably because of hte couple niggles which Dembele got earlier in the season. Shame dont have able deputies in other positions such that we can do similarly for others (eg Kane v Millwall)

Back