• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

AjaxDeSuperYids

Drama queen
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino will turn his attention to signing a new attacking midfielder after securing a deal for striker Vincent Janssen with Georginio Wijnaldum among his targets.

Pochettino is hoping Spurs achieve a breakthrough in their pursuit of Janssen this week, as the club prepare to meet the £17 million asking price set by the 22-year-old’s club AZ Alkmaar.

Tottenham’s move for Janssen has been held up by ‘Moneyball’ brainchild Billy Beane, who advised AZ to hold out for £17m and reject the London club’s first two bids.

But Spurs have not been put off and Pochettino wants the Janssen deal wrapped up before moving on to his next target, which will be an attacking midfielder.

As ever, Pochettino’s team of scouts and analysts have drawn up an extensive list of potential targets in that position – one of whom is believed to be Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s Wijnaldum.

The Dutchman only joined Saudi Sportswashing Machine last summer for £14.5m, but, despite relegation to the Championship, was an instant hit as he scored 11 Premier League goals and registered five assists.

Having already signed defensive midfielder Victor Wanyama, Pochettino wants to boost his attacking options to cover for injury and suspension and allow him to change formation. The Argentine also wants players in his squad who can make an impact from the substitutes’ bench.

Janssen will predominantly join as a back-up to Harry Kane, but could also partner the England international while Wijnaldum would give Pochettino another goal threat from midfield.

Speaking about his future last month, Wijnaldum said: “Of course I want to play at as high level as possible, in the Premier League, with a beautiful club – but not everything always goes the way you want. I will see what happens.”

Tottenham are prepared to sell Ryan Mason, who has been tracked by Hull City and Bournemouth, and would listen to offers for Nacer Chadli or Son Hueng-Min.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...p-up-vincent-janssen-deal-and-target-georgin/

Chadli is a bit of an enigma because sometimes he looks ready to kick on move up a level and then other times he looks like he's going in the other direction.

Generally seemed to perform well coming of the bench so I'd be inclined to keep him along with Eriksen, Lamela and Son and send N'jie and Pritchard on prem loans where they'll play regulary.

I'd be happy with a Chadli sale if we got an upgrade ie someone like Schurrle or Draxler but personally I can't see it.

i mentioned in the Janssen thread that i've read Geordies complaining about his (Wijnaldum) attitude/work rate this season - tends to go missing away from home as well - maybe @Greg could give his view on him?

still, 11 goals and 5 assists in his first season in the Prem is a good return, especially for a relegated side - he looks a good player, has Prem experience and should be available for a decent price, sounds like a player we'd target

Isn't he on massive money at Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

If so why would he want to take a pay cut and most likely spend most of his time on the bench

He had a decent season but as has been said tended to go missing a lot and has a questionable work rate. Doesn't seem a Poch type

Id rather see Pritchard given a chance

i mentioned in the Janssen thread that i've read Geordies complaining about his (Wijnaldum) attitude/work rate this season - tends to go missing away from home as well - maybe @Greg could give his view on him?

still, 11 goals and 5 assists in his first season in the Prem is a good return, especially for a relegated side - he looks a good player, has Prem experience and should be available for a decent price, sounds like a player we'd target

I agree with this, 11 goals from M/F would be a bonus for us and aged only 25 he could be a good buy.

We'd only be in for him if Poch and co thinks he can fit into the system, whether he's been that hard working or not at Saudi Sportswashing Machine he looks athletic and I'm sure the work ethos will be drilled into him if not already there.

I'd like to see him come in as he is different to anything else we have,him or a Sissoko type would provide a good option for me....

Isn't he on massive money at Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

If so why would he want to take a pay cut and most likely spend most of his time on the bench

He had a decent season but as has been said tended to go missing a lot and has a questionable work rate. Doesn't seem a Poch type

Id rather see Pritchard given a chance

I'm not sure he'd spend most of his time on the bench.

As I've said in other threads we need to get away from this idea of a first eleven and people backing them up - we are in four competitions (2 of them of the highest level) and we will need people of similar quality to what we already have.

I believe Wanyama, Wijnaldrum and Janssen fit the bill in that respect and personally I don't see them spending their time mostly on the bench.

I'm not sure he'd spend most of his time on the bench.

As I've said in other threads we need to get away from this idea of a first eleven and people backing them up - we are in four competitions (2 of them of the highest level) and we will need people of similar quality to what we already have.

I believe Wanyama, Wijnaldrum and Janssen fit the bill in that respect and personally I don't see them spending their time mostly on the bench.

Poch likes to work with a settled 11 if it's performing well. He will rotate a little, but reluctantly imo.

Wijnaldrum's a classic MOTD player. Ineffective, but a moment or two each game for the cameras.

He's the exactly type of player we used to sign all the time between c.1994-2004, and who now ends up at Stoke.

Wijnaldrum's a classic MOTD player. Ineffective, but a moment or two each game for the cameras.

He's the exactly type of player we used to sign all the time between c.1994-2004, and who now ends up at Stoke.
Even if you're right I think that's the type of player we are lacking, someone who can create a spark out of nothing. We have enough players who can fit into the system, but beyond Eriksen I don't think we have that goal out of nothing threat from midfield really which we need because there are plenty of times when the usual system play doesn't work and you need something different....

Poch likes to work with a settled 11 if it's performing well. He will rotate a little, but reluctantly imo.
But up until now he hasn't had the quality to rotate consistently, if he achieves that then he probably will. Kane always plays because there's no one near his level, son would be rotated with the likes of Lamella because a similar standard, the full backs are rotated because they are a similar standard. The positions that aren't rotated I'd suggest is because the back up options are massively inferior...

Even if you're right I think that's the type of player we are lacking, someone who can create a spark out of nothing. We have enough players who can fit into the system, but beyond Eriksen I don't think we have that goal out of nothing threat from midfield really which we need because there are plenty of times when the usual system play doesn't work and you need something different....

Why do top teams never have a Bolasie or Wijnaldum?

It's just a hangover from the bad old days when Jose Dominguez, Stephane Dalmat or Dos Santos used to be our only hope on entertainment

Why do top teams never have a Bolasie or Wijnaldum?

It's just a hangover from the bad old days when Jose Dominguez, Stephane Dalmat or Dos Santos used to be our only hope on entertainment
I don't think Wijnaldum is the type of player you're referring to. He carries the ball in midfield, and ghosts into the box and scores goals. He looks more of a Lampard type than a trick and a flick highlights reel type of player to me...

Back