• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fans last night

jimmyb

Milija Aleksic
First the bad.....

Only 21K? Quite shocking, really. Has to be the lowest attendance for a competitive first team game at the Lane in more than ten years. It seems that the fans are suffering from Europa League fatigue more than the players.

Now the good.....

Best atmosphere at a game I've attended in the past two or three years. Not in terms of volume - because the stadium was half empty and because three stands were as quiet as usual. But the 1882 lot in the Park Lane were simply outstanding last night. They literally did not stop singing throughout the game. Superb effort. I know that Asteras only had 500 or so fans there last night but I still expected them to be able to shame our fans with their support for their team. But that never came close to happening. It's not often that you hear Greeks outsung from start to finish. We need to help 1882 to grow and to prioritise space for them for all games - not just Europa League and other cup games. White Hart Lane will become a far happier and healthier place for it.

£25 for the cheapest adult ticket, greedy Levy again !!

Why not make it £15 and fill the ground out

Now the good.....

Best atmosphere at a game I've attended in the past two or three years. Not in terms of volume - because the stadium was half empty and because three stands were as quiet as usual. But the 1882 lot in the Park Lane were simply outstanding last night. They literally did not stop singing throughout the game. Superb effort. I know that Asteras only had 500 or so fans there last night but I still expected them to be able to shame our fans with their support for their team. But that never came close to happening. It's not often that you hear Greeks outsung from start to finish. We need to help 1882 to grow and to prioritise space for them for all games - not just Europa League and other cup games. White Hart Lane will become a far happier and healthier place for it.
Must admit, watching it on TV, I was wondering why the 1882 lot hadn't done the game, the atmosphere didn't really come across at all. Glad it was better in the ground though.

Must admit, watching it on TV, I was wondering why the 1882 lot hadn't done the game, the atmosphere didn't really come across at all. Glad it was better in the ground though.

I heard them singing loud and clear. Did get a bit repetitive at times in the first half, but once things start to happen on the pitch you don't notice it so much.

£25 for the cheapest adult ticket, greedy Levy again !!

Why not make it £15 and fill the ground out

The club has to start considering something like that. I believe Arsenal, for instance, only charge £10 for adults for League Cup games. We should do something similar. Even if the overall income is reduced as a consequence, the benefits would far outweigh the cost.

First the bad.....

Only 21K? Quite shocking, really. Has to be the lowest attendance for a competitive first team game at the Lane in more than ten years. It seems that the fans are suffering from Europa League fatigue more than the players.

Now the good.....

Couldn't agree more.

Having a singing club - it's all a bit "Arsenal"

No,having one of the worst atmospheres in the league is all a bit 'Arsenal'',we are far closer to copying them in that respect. These guys are trying to make an atmosphere,I applaud that. Do you go to games Scara,because White Hart Lane is becoming a tougher and tougher place to watch football.

Last night was great

No,having one of the worst atmospheres in the league is all a bit 'Arsenal'',we are far closer to copying them in that respect. These guys are trying to make an atmosphere,I applaud that. Do you go to games Scara,because White Hart Lane is becoming a tougher and tougher place to watch football.

Last night was great

I go to games from time to time - not as much as I used to, but that's because of work commitments rather than any (perceived) lack of atmosphere.

Last night was good because we scored 5 goals and played some nice football, not because we had the glee club in.

Having a singing club - it's all a bit "Arsenal"

This is the kind of obstinate, blinkered and past its sell by attitude that will ensure that the now dreadful (or nigh on nonexistent) atmosphere at the Lane remains so. Or deteriorates further.

There are many reasons for the decline in atmosphere at WHL (and in English football generally) but by far the most important is that those who wish to sing are too thinly spread around the ground to be able to generate any kind of sustained noise. Even in the Park Lane.

1882 allows those people to gather together.

All around the world, the most vocal fans are organised. Only in England do you hear opinions like yours - referring to such organisation in a pejorative or mocking tone. Is it any wonder, then, that the atmosphere in Premier League stadiums is now probably the worst of any major league in the world?

Don't talk about the past and how English fans never needed to be organised back in the day. We aren't living in the past. We don't have huge standing terraces where young lads can get in for the price of a Mars Bar and stand wherever they want, among like minded souls . We have all seater stadia. We have stupidly expensive tickets. We have an ageing fan base. So we absolutely need to be organised now. The notion of just keeping the status quo and that ought to be bloody well good enough is as outdated now as 1950's football tactics would be in the modern game. Just as England was long ago surpassed by much of the rest of the world on the pitch, so too we've been surpassed by most of the rest of the world off the pitch. And just as we needed (and still need) to change our game to catch up on the pitch, so too we need to change our old ideas about support.

If organisation is good enough for the rest of the world - and if they are consistently creating far better atmospheres than we do (and they are) - then organisation is good enough for us too.

Last edited:
I go to games from time to time - not as much as I used to, but that's because of work commitments rather than any (perceived) lack of atmosphere.

Last night was good because we scored 5 goals and played some nice football, not because we had the glee club in.

I disagree,the fact is the 1882 never stop singing and thus the atmosphere never has a lull. It is a shame we need it,it used to just be called getting behind your team. However the fact is something does need to be done,and this is in my humble opinion,a proactive way of helping with this problem.

Last night was great

I couldn't agree more.

This is the kind of obstinate, blinkered and past its sell by attitude that will ensure that the now dreadful (or nigh on nonexistent) atmosphere at the Lane remains so. Or deteriorates further.

There are many reasons for the decline in atmosphere at WHL (and in English football generally) but by far the most important is that those who wish to sing are too thinly spread around the ground to be able to generate any kind of sustained noise. Even in the Park Lane.

All around the world, the most vocal fans are organised. Only in England do you hear opinions like yours - referring to such organisation in a pejorative or mocking tone. Is it any wonder, then, that the atmosphere in Premier League stadiums is now probably the worst of any major league in the world?

Don't talk about the past and how English fans never needed to be organised back in the day. We aren't living in the past. We don't have huge standing terraces where young lads can get in for the price of a Mars Bar and stand wherever they want, among like minded souls . We have all seater stadia. We have stupidly expensive tickets. We have an ageing fan base. So we absolutely need to be organised now. The notion of just keeping the status quo and that ought to be bloody well good enough is as outdated now as 1950's football tactics would be in the modern game. Just as England was long ago surpassed by much of the rest of the world on the pitch, so too we've been surpassed by most of the rest of the world off the pitch. And just as we needed (and still need) to change our game to catch up on the pitch, so too we need to change our old ideas about support.

If organisation is good enough for the rest of the world - and if they are consistently creating far better atmospheres than we do (and they are) - then organisation is good enough for us too.

Spot ****ing on.

If organisation is good enough for the rest of the world - and if they are consistently creating far better atmospheres than we do (and they are) - then organisation is good for us too.

The reason people are spread out is a vast reduction in the number of people that want to sing.

It's less than 10 years ago that the PL was pretty much entirely populated by people who wanted to sing - now, as you've said, it's a few spread out fans. Doesn't the change suggest to you that the vast majority of our fans just don't want to sing? I can't see some corny glee club changing that.

What will change it is our club playing better PL football and qualifying for competitions worthy of our excitement.

The 5 goals and the win were very welcome.

But it was the atmosphere created by the 1882 lot that pleased me most about last night.

Their support began in the very first second of the game and continued, non stop, for the remaining 90 plus minutes. As a season ticket holder who has become ever more disillusioned by the appalling atmosphere, I can't begin to communicate to you what a magnificent, uplifting breath of fresh air it was. I hated last season. Partly because of the football. But mostly because the dreadful / non existent atmosphere depressed me hugely.

Last night, 1882 put a smile on my face long before Spurs scored or even started to produce any fluent football.

Back