• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

That's harsh - he was fine last season when he came in for the run of games Vertonghen missed through injury. Had a handful of games this season where he has been less impressive but it'd be silly to write a player off on a sporadic run of games.
In many of the games we didn't have much to do defensively. I thought he was shocking away to West Ham - a game that we had to do some defending in. He isn't the best in terms of his positioning, commits himself to tackles, headers he isn't going to win and isn't good enough on the ball to play through any team that presses us.

In many of the games we didn't have much to do defensively. I thought he was shocking away to West Ham - a game that we had to do some defending in. He isn't the best in terms of his positioning, commits himself to tackles, headers he isn't going to win and isn't good enough on the ball to play through any team that presses us.

Again I think that's all rather harsh tbh especially for a position where generally it's rare to find a young player without flaws to his game

I feel that I do have to defend Dier a bit. He gets compared to players like John Stones and Gary Cahill -- both players who've played in one position for just about their entire (albeit short) PL careers. I'm not even sure how many different formations they've played.

Dier's played (and presumably trained) at RB, DM and now back to CB again -- and even then, there's a vast difference between playing CB with a solid partner in a back 4 and then playing as (r)CB and having to cover one of the league's most attacking WBs. The positions he's got to take up, the angles he's got to cover, they're all different. Add to that the fact that he's still young and now playing in positions where every mistake leads to a scoring chance. And that he's got Toby next to him -- a blessing in that, well, he's an absolute Rolls-Royce of a defender, but a curse in that anyone* is going to look worse by comparison.

* Except Ledley of course. May his knees rest in peace.

Both Stones and Cahill were highlighted as a bit shaky after their big-money moves to clubs in the spotlight. They've settled down now (well, Cahill has) and are looking good. Hopefully that'll be Dier in a couple of seasons. Wherever he ends up playing.

If Dier settles into CB, rCB or DM, be it with us or another club (and I really hope not), I'm confident that he'll be viewed as one of the best in the Prem eventually. And a real leader.

If Dier keeps chopping and changing, he will still be (and already is, to be honest) a very good utility player -- someone Poch can trust to do a job anywhere in our two thirds of the pitch.

From that article:
Teddy Sheringham, Michael Carrick, Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale would make Spurs' greatest Premier League five-a-side team
Needs a defender. Oh look, it's Sol Campbell. *spit*

Tottenham's players are said to be excited by the move to the 61,000-capacity venue, expected to be ready for the 2018-19 season, and they have all done a virtual reality tour of their new home -- Moussa Sissoko had to stop after feeling dizzy -- which is growing every day beside White Hart Lane.
Figures :eyeroll:

I feel that I do have to defend Dier a bit. He gets compared to players like John Stones and Gary Cahill -- both players who've played in one position for just about their entire (albeit short) PL careers. I'm not even sure how many different formations they've played.

Dier's played (and presumably trained) at RB, DM and now back to CB again -- and even then, there's a vast difference between playing CB with a solid partner in a back 4 and then playing as (r)CB and having to cover one of the league's most attacking WBs. The positions he's got to take up, the angles he's got to cover, they're all different. Add to that the fact that he's still young and now playing in positions where every mistake leads to a scoring chance. And that he's got Toby next to him -- a blessing in that, well, he's an absolute Rolls-Royce of a defender, but a curse in that anyone* is going to look worse by comparison.

Both Stones and Cahill were highlighted as a bit shaky after their big-money moves to clubs in the spotlight. They've settled down now (well, Cahill has) and are looking good. Hopefully that'll be Dier in a couple of seasons. Wherever he ends up playing.

If Dier settles into CB, rCB or DM, be it with us or another club (and I really hope not), I'm confident that he'll be viewed as one of the best in the Prem eventually. And a real leader.

If Dier keeps chopping and changing, he will still be (and already is, to be honest) a very good utility player -- someone Poch can trust to do a job anywhere in our two thirds of the pitch.

Dier is better than stones - the stats don't lie unless you want to include misplaced passes from defence which is something stones excels at

Cahill is old school and is solid and functional but he is the weak link in the Chelsea side and looks his best now he is 30 something

£40m my arse.

He is English, on a long contract, it's united, it's Levy, we have champions league now, and better TV revenue. £60m cash.

Dier is better than stones - the stats don't lie unless you want to include misplaced passes from defence which is something stones excels at

Cahill is old school and is solid and functional but he is the weak link in the Chelsea side and looks his best now he is 30 something
He's 30-something?! Well, bugger me sideways. I thought he was about 26 but had just had a hard life -- playing for Bolton will do that to you.

Perhaps Sideshow Bob's a better example. An absolute liability during his first stint at Chelsea, now a quality defender. I do think Stones also has the ingredients, just needs better decision-making. Either way, I'd rather have Dier.

He's 30-something?! Well, bugger me sideways. I thought he was about 26 but had just had a hard life -- playing for Bolton will do that to you.

Perhaps Sideshow Bob's a better example. An absolute liability during his first stint at Chelsea, now a quality defender. I do think Stones also has the ingredients, just needs better decision-making. Either way, I'd rather have Dier.

Sideshow has been outstanding this season and for me has been better than hazard of Kante

He is keeping it simple and it's not hard if you have the basic skills

I was talking about Wimmer in my post that you replied to.

Back