• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Funny you should say that, was talking to a couple of guys today about how we see the team progressing what with all the new players that have arrived and maybe more in the summer. We were trying to see how he would be used and what position he will have to play in.

As most of us agree ( i think) his best position is playing off the main striker and he has the talent to be very good at that, i think his form has not been that good this year but he has not played where he does best ( on most occasions anyway) and has taken one for the team.

I suppose Jose will have to sort that out if we are to see Alli at his best, will he? i do hope so because with a on form Alli in the side doing what he does best we are a much better side.

All good with that except when last has he had a 2-3 month run of that "on form" thing you mention?

Hopefully being actually subbed off wakes him up, because he needs to work on his game, his finishing and his decision making ..

I should’ve been clearer in fairness. I was saying his unique skill set could boss games if he had a chance to play in his favorite position.
Depends on what you mean by bossing games. When I hear that I think someone getting on the ball a lot, controlling or influencing the tempo. I don't think that's where he's at his best. For me he's at his best in and around the box, making things happen. Having spells where he's not getting the ball that much, having others doing that, but popping up in the right place when it matters with movement, skill and composure.

Depends on what you mean by bossing games. When I hear that I think someone getting on the ball a lot, controlling or influencing the tempo. I don't think that's where he's at his best. For me he's at his best in and around the box, making things happen. Having spells where he's not getting the ball that much, having others doing that, but popping up in the right place when it matters with movement, skill and composure.

As I said, poorly defined on my part. I should’ve said “boss games” as I was reacting to the initial comment about him “not bossing” games.

I think you’ll find that since the start of this thread I have consistently said his best position is off Kane making those runs and helping engineer moments with his quick feet and brain. He has been doing numerous other jobs for months now, simply because he is one of the few players talented enough in out squad to be able to do so.

So many drama queens on this board it's unreal ... Dele showed passion and I'm sure he was disappointed at being subbed again. He knows he is not in top form, but make no mistake about it he is a quality player.

Goodbye dele ... fudging get a grip.

I'd rather say goodbye to some of you gobbrick spurs fans before Dele. I back Dele to cement a role in his favoured position rather than being asked to play multiple positions which are not suited to his skill set.

It is a shame to see him getting drawn deeper again, like you say, with Dele's skill-set it makes sense to get him in the areas he can have the most effect. Chelsea game can't come soon enough and we all know he likes to play against them. He has played well and contributed at times in CM, for sure, Real Madrid away in the 541 game comes to mid but he's not gonna get goals arsing around near the centre circle.

As for the reaction, you can understand the frustration but as discussed, Jose probably wouldn't want to see players happy to be taken off. It's just ensuring that respect is maintained and the line isn't crossed.

I wouldn't want to be getting rid of an English talent like Dele, but as a hypothetical, if we were to take in 75/80m (or more considering contract situation) from someone like Barca we could then really add to the team shape up in the summer window. You could say in our squad we have a lot of talent in that AM area of the pitch, less so now Eriksen has departed but we could potentially get someone like Werner as an option up front whilst making a net profit. It all gets exceedingly FM speculation and would probably take some big moves from the Dele camp and a big club to come in. It's unlikely to happen this summer IMO but after another season players may just want a fresh challenge, it's making it work for our squad to give us the options to compete. Sometimes the sale and acquisition can be mutually beneficial in the long run if it plugs our evident gaps.

Edit - Just to add, Dele's main competition once if we do get sorted striker wise is N'Dombele, especially if we were to move to more of a 433 consistently. In a kind of 8 role my guess is you'd get a bit more creation with that ridiculous silky dribbling and Tanguy's also got the passing boots

Last edited:
We are making too many excuses for Dele. I want him to remain at Spurs as long as he wants to contribute and can contribute to the club. He needs to adapt his game. He is no longer in the England squad as well.

Fair point but when was the last time he played a run in his best position.

What is Dele's best position? I thought his best position is breaking from AM into the box. One of his best performance IIRC was when Winks and Dele played CM vs Real Madrid. Dele has been asked to play in the AM role for the last couple of weeks.

What is Dele's best position? I thought his best position is breaking from AM into the box. One of his best performance IIRC was when Winks and Dele played CM vs Real Madrid. Dele has been asked to play in the AM role for the last couple of weeks.

Dele has been making up a three in midfield with Lo Celso and Winks and breaking to join the forwards when we are in attack the last couple of weeks (before Son's injury). He's done well but it is a demanding role and requires him to do a lot of donkey work. It is a different role to the #10 one he played under Poch before last season.

Somewhere between an 8 and a 10
It’s kinda the Rafa VDV role where he isn’t a striker but doesn’t have the right tools to play midfield the way we play
He is wasted playing wide IMO and has to be central
He works when he gets in the box (that twists and turn when he almost got through 2 defenders on Wednesday showed that). Everywhere else he can be a passenger at times and his skill is risky street football tricks

Dele has been making up a three in midfield with Lo Celso and Winks and breaking to join the forwards when we are in attack the last couple of weeks (before Son's injury). He's done well but it is a demanding role and requires him to do a lot of donkey work. It is a different role to the #10 one he played under Poch before last season.

Apparently when he came off Wednesday he had run the most of any player on the pitch. Hardly surprising, he's trying to do 2 jobs. The furore around Wednesday stems from the fact he couldn't do the A part of AM that often or well because we were on the back foot. Compare that with the Villa game where he could have scored 4.

Apparently when he came off Wednesday he had run the most of any player on the pitch. Hardly surprising, he's trying to do 2 jobs. The furore around Wednesday stems from the fact he couldn't do the A part of AM that often or well because we were on the back foot. Compare that with the Villa game where he could have scored 4.
Exactly
It doesn’t help he was in a position of weakness on Wednesday after missing is many chances he would normally bury on Sunday

Thing is, his favourite positon doesn't really exist in modern football anymore for reasons stated in this thread. Modern midfielders are expected to go up and down.

It requires the team to be set up in a specific way just for the benefit of one player, and you're also gambling on him performing, much the same situation we were in with Eriksen.

Now that most teams play with a 3 centrally, you're giving up a player in there and risking the overload. Muller (which is his most comparable player ended up having to play from the wing). If we move to the 4-3-3, which it looks like he's either going to have to drift from a wide position or improve in his dribbling and ball playing ability from deeper.

Thing is, his favourite positon doesn't really exist in modern football anymore for reasons stated in this thread. Modern midfielders are expected to go up and down.

It requires the team to be set up in a specific way just for the benefit of one player, and you're also gambling on him performing, much the same situation we were in with Eriksen.

Now that most teams play with a 3 centrally, you're giving up a player in there and risking the overload. Muller (which is his most comparable player ended up having to play from the wing). If we move to the 4-3-3, which it looks like he's either going to have to drift from a wide position or improve in his dribbling and ball playing ability from deeper.
It’s why I’ve said before I can see him being sold on ala Coutinho and the club taking the money to reinvest in better suited players

saying that city play 4-2-3-1 and Barca kinda do. So do Juve I think...

It’s why I’ve said before I can see him being sold on ala Coutinho and the club taking the money to reinvest in better suited players

saying that city play 4-2-3-1 and Barca kinda do. So do Juve I think...
But with a different skillset player in that role. Dele is balanced much more toward finishing himself rather than being the old school playmaker. I don't think Dele fits in either of those sides in that position either.

The issue with selling him is he's at a relatively low point status wise, right now I think we'd be looking at 60m odd rather than maybe the 80m+ you'd get from him on the back of brick hot form. [emoji848]

But with a different skillset player in that role. Dele is balanced much more toward finishing himself rather than being the old school playmaker. I don't think Dele fits in either of those sides in that position either.

The issue with selling him is he's at a relatively low point status wise, right now I think we'd be looking at 60m odd rather than maybe the 80m+ you'd get from him on the back of brick hot form. [emoji848]
But that money could mean a player more suitable for the team

But that money could mean a player more suitable for the team
I'm not against selling him, I support sales and reinvestments. Just thinking maybe we need to get him playing well or appearing too before we sell to maximise what we gain from him. It's a very difficult one, but I could see most of the top 6 being interested so at least there would be competition and demand for him.

It might all be a bit moot as I don't think Jose first intention would be to sell. Dele suits his usual play style so I think he will try and try to get the best out of him. It's really going to be on Dele to make it work because Jose will try and give him the best platform to perform.

Back