• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

You're not quite getting what I'm saying.

I am not telling you to go and support another club. I know the risk of asset stripping is there for every club. I know that Levy and Lewis can theoretically do it tomorrow and wrap up the club.

What I am slightly confused by is a) your passion for something that objectively makes no sense and b) how this fits in with how matter of factly you talk about the owners asset stripping and wrapping things up if they so choose.
I don't sweat the stuff I can't control.

If the owners want to wrap up the club then they will -getting upset about that would be like getting upset at the weather.

I don't sweat the stuff I can't control.

If the owners want to wrap up the club then they will -getting upset about that would be like getting upset at the weather.

Yet I imagine you do not spend your weekends watching the weather channel or evenings on a message board talking about the weather with other nutters obsessed with it. You don't spend money on following it, don't have a favourite meteorologist and won't indoctrinate your children into your same outlook on the weather.

Similarly, individually we can't control the deaths of loved ones, genocide, war, poverty, homelessness or Liverpool winning the league. However, as surely as the passage of time, those things will happen. I imagine most people, including even you:D, will sweat at least some of these things just a little bit.

Similarly, folding for every hand that isn't pocket aces because you want to always make sure you have the most dominant hand before playing is not how you win either.

You don't go all in on unsuited 2-7 and you don't fold all hands that aren't pocket aces. There is a medium.

For example, Liverpool are where they are now (CL winners, very likely seemingly to win the PL this season) because they have taken (relative) punts on players like Ham Salad and Mane, taken punts on cheaper players like Robertson and have a good academy (TAA). We have similar situations. Son, Moura for the first group (and I guess, while an abject failure, Sissoko), hopefully GLC. Then the likes of Trippier, Alli, Sessengon. Kane, Winks etc.

Perhaps the big final difference has been the purchases of Allison and VVD for a combined total of almost £150 million. They identified two big problem positions for themselves, identified two players they really wanted, took a big risk and according to almost everyone (including me), overpaid. How we all laughed.

That 'overpayment' is now looking a great investment. The extra exposure, extra money, extra trophies (kind of what football is about in the end).

Yes I know our financial situation is not the same. I know they still have more revenue and I know they're a bigger club and I know we've now got a huge stadium debt to pay off, which hopefully will change things in the long run.

People tell me we've changed how we do deals now, I remain hopeful of that. Hopefully N'dombole will be a harbinger of things to come. Though that did also come with a summer long chase of a player we've ended up signing on the last day on a loan deal to smartly circumvent paying extra to PSG. Just a shame it means he had literally no pre-season and we're now sitting halfway through December with him nowhere near the pace. Though I appreciate he has also had an injury since arriving.
We're probably a couple of seasons behind them in the financial clout table.

Although i would add they had a £130m rake from Coutinho.

We kinda thought we had a prize asset ourselves in CE and could bank a nice fee for him but not now. I think our lack of income from transfers could hurt us a bit in the coming seasons. Unless we decide to sell Dele or Kane:eek:

We're probably a couple of seasons behind them in the financial clout table.

Although i would add they had a £130m rake from Coutinho.

We kinda thought we had a prize asset ourselves in CE and could bank a nice fee for him but not now. I think our lack of income from transfers could hurt us a bit in the coming seasons. Unless we decide to sell Dele or Kane:eek:

To be fair to the Dippers, we banked a world record transfer fee a few years before them but squandered it on this lot :oops:

upload_2019-12-15_3-45-36.jpeg

Hopefully we’ll have Luis Campis in place soon to ensure the riches from our incredible new stadium are spent more wisely.

To be fair to the Dippers, we banked a world record transfer fee a few years before them but squandered it on this lot :oops:

View attachment 7854

Hopefully we’ll have Luis Campis in place soon to ensure the riches from our incredible new stadium are spent more wisely.

That picture looks mighty worse now with the Eriksen developments souring his Spurs career (imo at least) and Erik going missing yet again, Jesus wept.

View attachment 7854

Ah fudge me that is an abysmal line up.

In contrast, Klopp or whoever he and the owners have hired to do the purchasing seem to have done an almost flawless job in the last few seasons.

Hopefully we can get to a similar place in the next few years.

Capoue would be fine now by virtue of not being injury prone, I think his exclusion was more due to attaching himself to the bad eggs and when Dembele, Dier and Wanyama were fit I don’t remember anyone asking for him back (although quietly acknowledging he had done fine for Watford)

We just haven’t been very good at spending over 15m, Son being the notable exception and I think we’d get at least our money back on Moura.

Ah fudge me that is an abysmal line up.

In contrast, Klopp or whoever he and the owners have hired to do the purchasing seem to have done an almost flawless job in the last few seasons.

Hopefully we can get to a similar place in the next few years.

Not sure about Pool mate, that's revisionist, Lovren anyone? and it took them an extra year to get VVD in which probably cost them that year (quite sure you can dig out a few others), what they have done is be willing to overpay if they believe it's the right person

Re our 7, interesting now

- Paulinho went on to play for fudging Barca
- Erisken was a total success despite the last season
- Lamela has been held back by his injuries but fair to say we have got 25M worth for him
- Chadli for 7M probably sits in the success bracket as well, had a couple of decent seasons for us and we made a profit
- Capoue is a decent midfielder, was cleared out more on the "old guard" group with Poch
- Vlad was mediocre but played a couple of seasons as well

So in the 7, really only Soldado was a disaster ...

Not sure about Pool mate, that's revisionist, Lovren anyone? and it took them an extra year to get VVD in which probably cost them that year (quite sure you can dig out a few others), what they have done is be willing to overpay if they believe it's the right person

Re our 7, interesting now

- Paulinho went on to play for fudging Barca
- Eriksen-sen-sen was a total success despite the last season
- Lamela has been held back by his injuries but fair to say we have got 25M worth for him
- Chadli for 7M probably sits in the success bracket as well, had a couple of decent seasons for us and we made a profit
- Capoue is a decent midfielder, was cleared out more on the "old guard" group with Poch
- Vlad was mediocre but played a couple of seasons as well

So in the 7, really only Soldado was a disaster ...

Lovren predates Klopp. I'm talking about the players he has bought in.

Mane, Winjaldum, Karius, Matip, VVD, Sala, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson, Solanke, Allison, Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri.

Those are his purchases. That is an insane success rate. It is their current first choice keeper, first choice CB pairing, first choice LB, first choice CM and 2/3 of their front three. It also includes a large number of his most important squad players.

Only Karius was a flop there. Solanke also kind of a flop but he was average, bought in for a free transfer and sold a couple of seasons later for £20 million.

As for your assessment of the seven, I would have to strongly disagree. Even if Eriksen walks onto the pitch, takes a massive brick in the centre, tells the fans to fudge off, wipes his ass with the shirt and then announces he's leaving on a free to Arsenal this summer, he would still have been a huge success for £13 million. Pound for pound one of our best transfers in the last few decades imo.

-What Paulinho went on to do is frankly irrelevent to what he did at Spurs. Its like if we bought Bebe or Kleberson and justified it by saying well they -played for Man Utd, they must have been good. He was not a good player for us and was rightly sold on.
-I could not have been more excited when we bought Lamela. The injuries aren't his fault and he hasn't been a total flop but he's played an average of 30 games a season for us over his 6 seasons here. That is crap.
-Chadli, Vlad and Capoue were average, made their money back but vitally, considering we're a football club and not an accounting firm, did not actually improve the team in the slightest. I'm not saying they flopped. But we did not spend the money wisely.

At least 7 of those Liverpool purchases have actively improved the starting eleven and 3-4 of the others significantly improved the squad.

It took them an extra year to get in VVD but you're agreeing with what I'm saying. They've identified the players they want and while they've picked up incredible deals (Robertson for £7 million, Matip for free), they've not been afraid to spend perhaps slightly more than what might be considered the 'market value' if they really feel it will improve the team, in VVD, Allison and even AOC. The whole picture has been important to getting them to the ridiculous position they're in now.

Liverpools board went out and backed Klopp on his first choice targets after he had proved himself worth backing, he himself wasn't afraid to stick with players he didn't particularly rate knowing his first choice could be got further down the line and that it was pointless to buy for the sake of it.

Would have been interesting to see how we would have fared if we were in a position to really back Poch the season after we finished 2nd.

Liverpools board went out and backed Klopp on his first choice targets after he had proved himself worth backing, he himself wasn't afraid to stick with players he didn't particularly rate knowing his first choice could be got further down the line and that it was pointless to buy for the sake of it.

Would have been interesting to see how we would have fared if we were in a position to really back Poch the season after we finished 2nd.

The test for Liverpool and Klopp will come when he needs to build his next team. Like Poch, he works his players hard and four seasons under him will probably be most players limit.

We need a much better player procurement set up going forward, money does solve Tottenham problems.
[edit] that should say does not solve all our problems

Last edited:
We do need a better transfer set up and certainly so the last few years where we had to tighten our belts

Agreed. Though I have to say that our record when we've strayed above the £15-£25million range has not been good at all. Its something we need to change and quickly.

Can I just say, I know it can often come across like I dislike Levy on this thread (I do not) but I would just like to appreciate the work the man has done, especially when we're comparing to the absolute clusterfudge in the other team from North London.

We do need a better transfer set up and certainly so the last few years where we had to tighten our belts

I think that our biggest issue has been moving unwanted players on. Levy's tough negotiating technique works well when there is demand for a player but you could see it being less successful when you are hawking someone there is little interest in. This is one of the reasons why I think that we have been missing having a DoF.

The test for Liverpool and Klopp will come when he needs to build his next team. Like Poch, he works his players hard and four seasons under him will probably be most players limit.

Agreed. He has done an outstanding job building this team and I would say he is 100% one of, if not the best manager in the world.

But its probably easier to bin off players that aren't your own.

I wonder whether they wouldn't be averse to selling off one of Mane or Salah if the right offer comes in the next couple of seasons and using the money to rebuild again.

Back