1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Howard Webb, 8 Feb 2012.

1. billyiddo

billyiddo Barry Daines Staff Member

I think people will be in for a nasty surprise if they think anything will change with new owners- with City on the scene there won't be a billionaire stupid enough to try and go toe to toe with them even if FFP allowed it - much more likely is owners who continue to spend within our means and the chances of us able to punch above our weight to the same degree would be low id have thought.

What will change in the coming seasons is our revenue will rise which means the money available whilst remaining to break even will rise also - that will come with new owners or without.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2018
  2. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

I really hope he doesn't go anytime soon, the man has done wonders for the club !!

DTA, Bullet, Gazzasrightboot and 6 others like this.
  3. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

As has been said about every 3 months for the last 20 years

4. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Ramon Vega

Not many were saying it when Pleat came in as caretaker for a year, BMJ found out he was fired during a match, Ramos got two points from 8, AVB played soulless football that eventually saw us mauled by City, West Ham and Liverpool.

Levy has had a bunch of huge mistakes, as anyone would, but on the whole he’s been brilliant.

5. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Tim Sherwood

The stadium is the elephant in this protential sale.

6. Gazza

Gazza Ruel Fox

But not directly

7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

And it’s gonna be debt funded

Anyone thinking we would sell for mega money is bonkers as anyone coming in takes on that debt

Levy could make a lot form a sale but we would go for somewhere in the reaction of £600/£800M is my estimate

8. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Steve Carr

There's every chance that Usmanov was all talk in order to gain control of Arsenal.

If Levy were to sell, there's far more chance of Spurs being sold to someone who wants to siphon off the cash cow, rather than someone who wants to spunk their fortune on players, IMO.
    There's also been owners of clubs who want to throw money at it, but are clueless.

I can't see us getting better than Levy, and it will be a sad day if he did choose to sell up.

9. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus William Gallas

Yes. All this. Usmanov is a brick of the first order, and anyway Abramovich's tribulations have disproved the notion that spunking a fortune on a Premier League club buys you a permanent safe haven.

Anyone who would buy a £1.5bn asset - and then throw money at it - to improve their reputation is going to be deeply unsavoury.

Anyone who buys a £1.5bn asset for commercial reasons is going to be focused on how they pay that debt down quickly.

Neither option is appealing. Hopefully, ENIC see an opportunity to hang on until the next inflection point in football finances.

10. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Ramon Vega

How much is debt funded though? As of 2017, we’d spent 300m on it and only 100m of that was borrowed.

11. parklane1

parklane1 Les Medley

I wish i had a pound for every time i have heard a Spurs fan say just that.

Gazzasrightboot likes this.
  12. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Tony Parks

Given the work they've put in and the Spurs connections they have, my personal belief is that when ENIC do come to sell, their considerations will involve matters other than simply who is the highest bidder. They will want to hand us over to responsible custodians in my honest opinion.

13. parklane1

parklane1 Les Medley

Amen to that.

14. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Tony Parks

Things certainly could change IMO - they could go south very very quickly with the wrong new owners...

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  15. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

Id guess 500M will be debt now once completed but its a guess and no more than that

16. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Mauricio Taricco

You could probably afford to buy spurs with that kind of money.

17. parklane1

parklane1 Les Medley

Probably, however why do that and face all the brick from moaning fans after the windows because i will/did not buy their chosen player. :)

Gazzasrightboot and Parklaner81 like this.
  18. Robspur12

Robspur12 Gerry Armstrong

Not necessarily Bill. As much as I love Levy, I rail against the narrative that we could not do any better than him and Joe Lewis. It seems that there are always billionaires who want to launder money through the British game or are rich enough not to know how to spend their money. We have seen Usmanov *ahem cough* buy Everton and already spend a lot of money. The money he spent at Everton this Summer would have enhanced our first team squad significantly imho. The man is worth 14 billion allegedly; he could easily afford to buy Spurs. Whether we would want to be a play thing for a “corrupt” oligarch or super rich Arab is another discussion. But I think it is wrong to assume that there are not Owners out there with deeper pockets than Levy and Lewis who could spend it on the team at Spurs. However, as you say we could also easily get a Stan Kroenke.

That is not to say I don’t like Levy BTW. I think he is and has been fabulous for the club and is also a fan which makes him a priceless custodian too.

Gazzasrightboot and DeanoAustin like this.
  19. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Such as flogging new WHL to Shad Khan/Jacksonville, and we end up as their tenants.

Some of Portsmouth's various owners did that kind of thing and worse

Asset stripping is generally the MO in a lot of situations like this.

20. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Jimmy McCormick

If we go south of the river I will give up.