• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canning Town Bingo Club

Bloody hell... do we really need to labour the point so much?

I made a pretty simple, and plain, statement. We were clubs of similar potential.

Not a "who is bigger?", not a "We were EXACTLY THE SAME!", just stating what I thought would have been pretty obvious - we were of similar potential.

I get the argument on fanbase. I just dont think, in the age of TV money, it counts for much.

I believe had West Ham been taken over by someone as canny as Levy, they could very well be in a similar boat to us now. Im yet to see any reason why not.

Of course, they werent and they havent, and - frankly - I think they have long since missed the boat on such an opportunity. They are now only have an Oligarch owner as a chance to really compete, IMO.

BUT, 15-20 years ago? They could have made very similar progress to what we have done.

Buy young with potential to sell high, reinvesting to develop the squad in a self sustaining fashion, revamp the academy, settle on more progressive managers and grow organically..... The TV money follows success. Consistent top 6 finishes and EUROPA/UEFA exposure all help to push that TV money up.

None of this was beyond them, and if done well would have left them looking a lot like us. Thats really all I was saying. Controversial or what?

Mate, no one is arguing the point that with proper management they could well have become a regular fixture within the top 6. My point is that would be flying in the face of what is the norm for them as 3rd is the highest they have ever finished which they managed just once whereas finishing in the top 6 and challenging for honours is relatively normal for us with the exception of 1992-2004 where we were utter brick for the most part. Despite being brick we already had a certain gravitas and pull, hence our ability to sign Ginola/Klinsmann as examples whereas West Ham have never had that base to begin from as a fallen giant or underachiever. By being in the league they are at about par and are generally happy with that.

For me, the only time they have had any potential at all to be a bit of a competing club was around 1999-2001 with all those younger players there. Once Ferdinand went, followed swiftly by Lampard the rot set in and within 2 years or so Cole, Johnson, Defoe and Carrick were all gone. Other than that I fail to recognise any period of time in recent history, ie 40 + years where they have had any similar potential to us so I would respectfully disagree with you.

Ancha-loh-ee.

I believed it's pronounced over there.

He's coming to make them great. That's what they're saying.

In the media. MUST be true.

West Ham had a bit of potential, nothing like our potential. Nothing like the potential of Villa or Forest or Leeds or Saudi Sportswashing Machine. More like Norwich or Ipswich.

West Ham had a bit of potential, nothing like our potential. Nothing like the potential of Villa or Forest or Leeds or Saudi Sportswashing Machine. More like Norwich or Ipswich.

They have more potential than those teams though. Not having to live in Leeds or Nottingham or Saudi Sportswashing Machine is a massive draw.

Ancelotti would wet himself laughing and hang up if they tried to get him in! :D

I like anything that keeps the status quo with them, the longer they dont change anything the more certain they will just be brick.

Carroll is such a mindless thug. Jumping into a player and leading with an elbow...what a tw@t. Each could have been a red on their own

Fair play to Bilic for saying that he can't have any complaints

Carroll is such a mindless thug. Jumping into a player and leading with an elbow...what a tw@t. Each could have been a red on their own

Fair play to Bilic for saying that he can't have any complaints
I think the first one was a bit unlucky, but the second one was horrendous! Should have been a straight red!

It''s great though. One of his rare runs of being fit enough to play, and he puts himself out again by getting sent off.

A blessing in disguise for them as they actually try to play football when he's not on the pitch. The mood is firmly in favour of getting rid over there.

Back