• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

Agreed. We seemed to have lots of options in and around the box today. That doesnt always seem to be the case whatever formation we are playing - and especially if VDV is playing QB when he should be supporting the front man.

no disrespect guys...that was 442. i can only assume that you and 7 percent dont post here often, which is weird cause i could swear i see your posts alot

this formation has been dissected to death on here......a clear 442 but with the wide players given lisence to come narrow. its the wonky? we played it against wolves, pool, and a few other teams

with VDV you should expect isolation and no one in the box cause thats what happens. in a wonky someone is abandoning their position and ADe or saha or bale or niko or the full backs are occupying it allowing for front players to push forward into the box. plus we clearly had saha and ade as strikers which invariable makes two up front...bale on the left tucking in when he wants to and niko on the right tucking in when he wants to

if you can see this kind of malleability in formation when VDV is playing with ade then fair enough but it doesnt happen often enough IMO

who do you want to play up front in the 442? surely you wouldnt want to play any player you consider "such a poor poor player"

Obviously at the beginning of the season I wanted Ade and Defoe up front. Now Saha has proven he should be in the mix so I would take any 2 of those 3

On the one hand getting him meant Pav left so that was a good thing but I did not think he could still perform the way he did today. I guess I was concerned because Everton were looking for a striker but were ready to cancel Saha's contract. It is not like Saha has scored loads of goals in the past year. I guess I was wrong about Saha. I just hope he stays fit

I don't think Harry is prepared to drop one of Bale, VDV or Lennon.
He'd much rather drop Defoe or Saha.

Anyway i don't think Harry cares about formations. He'd rather play his best 11 players.

On today's performance it would be crazy not to play Ade & Saha against the Goons
Adebayor and Saha would cause a lot of problems against their backline. Plus, Defoe on the bench could offer a lot of problems just like he did last year at the Emirates.

We've probably played our best football under Redknapp when playing 4-4-2. It's a nice and simple formation - but only to be used against the right opponents and with the correct personnel available.

Although I have been talking about 442 for as long as I can remember, the main thing for me is playing with two strikers up front, both being a goal threat and with neither being isolated.

no disrespect guys...that was 442. i can only assume that you and 7 percent dont post here often, which is weird cause i could swear i see your posts alot

this formation has been dissected to death on here......a clear 442 but with the wide players given lisence to come narrow. its the wonky? we played it against wolves, pool, and a few other teams

with VDV you should expect isolation and no one in the box cause thats what happens. in a wonky someone is abandoning their position and ADe or saha or bale or niko or the full backs are occupying it allowing for front players to push forward into the box. plus we clearly had saha and ade as strikers which invariable makes two up front...bale on the left tucking in when he wants to and niko on the right tucking in when he wants to

if you can see this kind of malleability in formation when VDV is playing with ade then fair enough but it doesnt happen often enough IMO

I should have put a wink smiley after the were we playing 442, as yes that's what it was.

I think my point was if we played like that, getting into space ahead of the ball and getting into the box we could play any formation we like and still win ;)

.................Ade....Saha
Bale.....Modric......Parker.......Lennon
Ekotto...King.......Kaboul.......Walker
................Friedel

?

I honestly dont want this to sound like VDV ruins our play (as i rate him and he is one of our best players) but the two biggest wins we've had this year have been when we've plaeyd 4-4-2 and VDV hasn't started... Now i know he's brilliant, does well all round and LOVES playing against Arsenal but honestly, on form, he doesnt get in this Spurs side.

I honestly dont want this to sound like VDV ruins our play (as i rate him and he is one of our best players) but the two biggest wins we've had this year have been when we've plaeyd 4-4-2 and VDV hasn't started... Now i know he's brilliant, does well all round and LOVES playing against Arsenal but honestly, on form, he doesnt get in this Spurs side.
A lot of people have alluded to this on here in the past. The way I see it - even when one of our best players is out we have a tried and tested formation that has given us a lot of big wins in the past!

I'm not so sure. I think it could go either way if we go 4-4-2 against Arsenal. They will completely boss us in midfield. But we could cause them problems the other way. We have a real dilemma on how to approach that game.

Besides. Are you seriously suggesting we don't play Rafa against the Goons if he's fit??? With his record?!

I'm not so sure. I think it could go either way if we go 4-4-2 against Arsenal. They will completely boss us in midfield. But we could cause them problems the other way. We have a real dilemma on how to approach that game.
Was thinking about them running us in midfield with only Parker and Modric in the centre but let's not forget that we have beaten them with a 4-4-2 in the last few years. It would just require an exceptional effort at the front, the likes of Adebayor to help the midfield whenever possible. This can be done, since we would have Defoe on the bench ready to sharpen things up if one of the front two gets tired or isn't performing.

Na I think it's crazy to go 4-4-2 in this one. The games between top sides are typically tight because they match each other. Our games in the NLD have often been wildly open because we go gung ho going forward and they dominate the shape and pattern of the game.

if Vdv is injured we could do a few things...

----------------------------Freidel--------------------------------
Walker----------Kaboul-----------------King----------------Ekotto
----------------Sandro----------------Parker---------------------
---------Adebayor-----------Modric-------------Bale--------------
----------------------------Saha---------------------------------

Ade practically played as a right winger at times today. Allows us to match them up and then go for their throats when we need to. I dont know so so many options right now.

Saha, Defoe, Lennon, Kranjcar, VdV! Forget deciding on Spurs or England, he's got a selection headache coming up!

Back