• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Crystal Palace OMT***

We were tired today. That's why we played like we did. Isn't rocket science. That, and the width that was supposed to come from Davies + Dier was nonexistent, largely because of the lack of pressure on Ledley + Jedinak, which allowed them to ping accurate long balls to Bolasie and Zaha on the flanks, constantly pinning our full-backs into our own half in anticipation of said balls.

Walker/Yedlin + Rose returning will have a transformative effect on the side, I know it: their pace and engines will allow them to both get up in support and get back to cover, and that will finally give us the width we've been lacking.

Um, Palace played in mid-week too.

Our defense is the main problem. Vertonghen Fazio and Dier were all poor tobday.
And 4231? Why obsess over a formation?
Who's top of the league? Chelsea. Formation? 4231

Chelsea are also fluid and clinical.
Something which 4231 needs. It needs you to be contain and break quickly or control possession and know how and when to slice teams open.
Chelsea have technical geniuses like hazard and oscar as well as effective workers like fabregas that dominant the opposition.
We have ineffective show ponies like lamela and non clinical strikers like soldado.

The problem with 4231 is that it is easy to nulify if the players are average/good.

You need players that top class with their movement and dominance. When you have that, 4231 will rip teams apart.

We don't have that.

You see this all the time, managers imposing a formation and tactics that their players are not good enough to carry out.

I don't think we'd get very far just sending out Lloris, Lennon and Kane every week, although it probably wouldn't be that much worse

That is a preposterous oversimplification and an erroneous interpretation of those stats, imo. It doesnt say anywhere that crossing is a waste of time. At best, it can be used to say that it is not worth JUST relying on crossing. No one is saying that. What we want is width, excitement and goals. To say crossing is a waste of time is just disengenious. It is a perfectly valid addition to add variety to any attack.

It is moribund thinking like this that AVB, Poch you and some other adherents to this cult-like aversion to crossing that is ruining the Spurs that we used to love but are now becoming bored to death by.

This isn't just us though, very few teams play with conventional wingers. Inverted wingers are so popular because they are more effective and create more chances. That does not mean that we should never cross the ball, we do anyway, that is what the full backs provide but it seems very silly that it constantly gets rolled out as a magic bullet.

His players? Really? So mason bentaleb kane Fazio dier davies were his players? Interesting. And AVB had to out UK with the sale of our best player, that's hard to adjust to, and he was still getting us playing better then this, and kore importantly getting more points.

As I said this is not an AVB thread - but unfortunately the players he bought were not good enough, Walker has been injured Soldado cannot play on his own, Capoue is rubbish, Chiriches is rubbish, Paulinho has been poor even under him. He was not getting us to play better - do remember Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home? West ham at home? Countless games where we struggled to break down team. We will have to agree to disagree mate but I can see at the moment that it seems like we are arguing about the difference between a rock and a hard place. I only blame AVB more because he appeared to have had more of an opportunity to build a side.

Last edited:
But if you have only width on one side that is easy to defend against.

Not as easy as you might think. Everton didn't find it that easy, after all. And you have the threat of width from both sides -albeit one side tends not to materialize.

But don't get me wrong -I prefer width from both sides. Unfortunately, we bought lots of central players and no wide players. But a while ago I suggested Davies/Rose down the left. Or Townsend even.

Eriksen left and Lennon right would have seen us play a lot better, I'm 100% convinced. Chadli was a pointless change, and I love Chadli. Then Paulinho...again I really rate the guy, but the game was not crying out for him and he wouldn't add anything Mason wasn't already bringing.

You drop Lamella. It's really that simple. You play lennon right as eriksen left and play the same team that performed so well on Sunday.

It ain't rocket science, it's basics that someone has to grasp in re management team

He found his best side last Sunday and hasn't played it since WTF

GHod the apologists and the excuse makers in here...

apologist
[uh-pol-uh-jist]

Word Origin

noun
a person who has reservations about the theory that Tottenham could be challenging for the league overnight had they only deployed Lennon on the right.

a person who thinks those claiming for Pochettino to be sacked now are clueless macarons who would do well to lay of the booze and re-watch our performances for the two years prior to the hiring of Pochettino.

Poch needs to realise that Lamela is awful and Lennon needs to play instead. Time is up and it's just not working.

Back