• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Juniors/on-loan thread 2013/14

He put 6 past Charlton Athletic the other day.

There's certainly loads of talent & potential there.

There really isn't. He's 23 and not proved himself anywhere. We'd be better off working with the next one in the queue whether that's COulibaly or whoever

Looks like a capacity crowd of around 25,000 at the Thong Nhat Stadium.

Amazing experience for our lads, especially the 16-year olds!

I watched all three of the Under-19s' games yesterday. We were probably the best in terms of physicality in the tournament, but were behind Japan and Roma in terms of technique. The Japanese were particularly impressive - their full team was very entertaining in the Confederation Cup and the next batch seem likely to emulate them. Roma's #10 Daniele Verde (who scored the screamer against us) really impressed me, he seemed to have that assured arrogance about him that a lot of top players have. The Vietnamese were better than I thought they'd be too, despite finishing with three losses. It was nice that we were involved in a cracker with them in the final game too - doubt it created any die-hard Vietnamese Spurs fans but just having the club involved in a crowd pleaser is always good. Great atmosphere too - reminded me of the 2002 Worlc Cup where the Japanese & South Korean fans were terrific.

So, our players. As I said, the ones who impressed me most did so through their sheer physicality rather than technical ability. The exception to this was Joshua Onomah, playing as the furthest midfielder in our 4-3-3. After some fantastic dribbling and a one-two with Akindayini, he received a harsh yellow for an adjudged dive in the box during our first game against Japan (it was either a penalty or a great tackle, definitely not a dive). A couple of minutes later his through ball was finished by Akindayini for our equaliser. He came on for the last 30 minutes against Roma when we were 1-2 down and although I can't remember anything he did off-hand, we were all over them towards the end. Against Vietnam, he was phenomenal. Run after run into their box, including this one which led to our winner. A very exciting prospect, especially as he's still only sixteen years old.

After Onomah, Nathan Oduwa was the next most impressive. He was the only player to feature in every minute of all three games, owing much to his strength and physicality. He scored a cracker to give us the win against Japan, then winning a penalty against the Vietnamese. Strong, durable and also versatile in being played on both sides of our 4-3-3.

Other players who caught the eye were:
  • Daniel Akindayini - center forward who is enormous but not great technically. Will have to improve as he plays against opponents as big as him.
  • Filip Lesniak - Slovakian holder with good positioning. Reminded me of Modric when we weren't in possession - slight build but good interceptions. Two good penalties as well.
  • Harry Winks - The only player who I felt really put his foot on the ball for us. Captained us in the two games that he started.
  • Alexander McQueen - Center back (and right back), probably the pick of our defenders and played all but one minute. Headed against the crossbar in the last minute versus Roma.
A nice little tournament to fill the void of post-Christmas games. Also good to put a few faces and styles to players whose names I had only ever read about in match reports.

Yeah, cheers for the reports mate!

Interesting to hear such high praise of Onomah again, he's seemingly been fast-tracked through the youth ranks and is playing a couple of years ahead of his age at this point.

Having watched 3 games with him (and possibly more before?) how would you describe him as a player?

Who won the Cup? 3 teams finished with the same points. Goal Difference decided the winner?

At the four-team tournament, organized in Ho Chi Minh City from January 6-10, the host Vietnam stands at the bottom with 1-2 loss to AS Roma, 7-0 collapse to Japan, and 2-3 defeat to Tottenham.

Young players from Japan are the winners with a total cash prize of US$100,000.

Tottenham Hotspur and AS Roma ranked second and third place respectively.

Back