• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Talking to the Opposition

Yeah Fellaini and Pienaar are still suspended.

Fellaini being out for Stoke was probably a blessing in disguise so we didn't play into their hands but we'll miss him big time against you.

Got Baines though ;)

What's the word on Mirallas' groin injury? Be surprised to see him play against us if he's tweaked that in any way - not an injury you want to risk aggravating.

What's the word on Mirallas' groin injury? Be surprised to see him play against us if he's tweaked that in any way - not an injury you want to risk aggravating.

No word. Everton are terrible for revealing stuff, even Moyes won't say half the time in his press conferences on the Friday.

According to the people in the exec boxes after the match he was walking freely afterwards but I guess thats not the same as full on running.

We don't half need him with Pienaar and Fellaini out.

Also cheers for the replies so far, keep them coming and I'll get it up tonight or tomorrow morning and then post the link if thats alright!

How do you think you've fared this season. Has it played out how you were expecting?

I was concerned at the start of the season, having lost Modric and Van der Vaart, and having a squad that was very thin in certain areas. I didn't expect us to battle for a top 4 finish, so I would say we have done a bit better than I expected.

There are always certain players in teams that get the majority of the media praise and I would say this has easily been Gareth Bale and deservedly so, just how do you rank his ability?
I think he is one of the best around now, not just in England, but in the world. I think it is only Messi and Ronaldo who can be said to be better than him at this moment in time. He has won a lot of points for us this season by getting a goal almost out of nothing. He sometimes annoys me by being lazy defensively, but I can forgive him for that.

Are there any players that haven't been getting the praise they deserve from the media and even your own fan base this season?

Aaron Lennon is a player who is underrated, at least by non-Spurs supporters. He always works incredibly hard, is very unselfish and plays for the team, rather than himself. He also comes up with important assists and the odd goal of course. Even when he is not at his best, he gives the team the right balance. We always seem to struggle when he is absent.
I would also like to mention Michael Dawson. He was out of the team at the start of the season, but has fought his way back in, and we defend better with him in the back four. Earleir in his career, he needed an experienced head beside him to perform well. These days, he is that experienced head himself. We are better organised at the back when Dawson is in the team.

Are you confident of maintaining your top 4 position by the end of the season?
Not at all. We are Tottenham, and things rarely end well. We also have tough games coming up which doesn't help.

How do you think the game will play out? Are you expecting Everton to come and sit deep or to come and attack? Are you expecting your Spurs team to go all out? Do you think the European game on Thursday will affect you?
If Moyes has done his homework on Spurs' home performances this season, Everton will look to be compact and sit deep, making it difficult for us to find space to play in. We have struggled significantly throughout the season in home games where the opposition has taken this approach to the game. We normally struggle to break teams down as our passing play is too slow and we lack a good collective attacking play. We often rely on individiual brilliance or a set piece at home to create chances and score.
It's difficult to tell whether the Europa League match will affect our performance. Our performances following a game in Europe have sometimes been good, and other times poor. The fact that we play at home in both games this week should help.

What do you make of your manager André Villas-Boas?

If we can qualify for the CL, and/or win the Europa League, it will be a great season. It's a bit early to say if he is the man for the long run though. He has improved us away from home, where his tactics seems to work better than in home games. We are better as a counter-attacking team at the moment than when dominating possession. Like I said in the last question, however, we need to improve a lot on our attacking play in home games, and I am not impressed with the way we set the team up in many of these games. We played much better attacking football as a team at our best under Redknapp, but we also had better players in Modric and Van der Vaart than we have now, so it is perhaps not an entirely fair comparison.

Moving on to Everton...

How do you think we have fared this season?

Pretty much as expected. You have a decent team, and I expected you to be up there just behind the top teams.

Who do you think will be the biggest threat to your Spurs side in the upcoming game?

The two players I would normally fear the most are suspended luckily. Mirallas looks like a good player though. He is always lively and could cause our defence some problems with his pace and direct running. Baines is always a threat down the left flank with his runs and crosses. ANd Jelavic seems to like playing against us as well.

What is your opinion of David Moyes and what do you make of the job he has done for Everton?
He has done a great job for you with limited resources, managing to establish the club now amongst the top 6-7 team. I think anything more than that is unrealistic as you can't compete with the top teams financially.

Where do you think us Toffees will finish come the end of the season?
I think you will finish where you are now. In 6th place.

Finally, predictions for the game?
Spurs to win by the odd goal.

No word. Everton are terrible for revealing stuff, even Moyes won't say half the time in his press conferences on the Friday.

According to the people in the exec boxes after the match he was walking freely afterwards but I guess thats not the same as full on running.

We don't half need him with Pienaar and Fellaini out.

Hmm, groin muscles are something I had problems with in my pub league days. You can walk fine, even run pretty decently, but it hurts like hell to kick a football.

I'm gonna guess he won't make the game. If he doesn't, hope he's back soon. I.E. For the game against Arsenal ;)

@Walker9009 - What is your opinion on Coleman? I have been more impressed with him as the season has gone on.

@Walker9009 - What is your opinion on Coleman? I have been more impressed with him as the season has gone on.

He's come on loads this season. Moyes always said he'd be a right back but whenever he played there in recent seasons he got torn a new one.

Moyes has played him at RB from the start this season and while he cost us a fair few goals in the beginning, he's stopped that now. His attacking is good, can take on a player and provides the odd good delivery. Maybe needs to work on that to go to the next level.

He always seems to have a good game against you too, his debut and earlier this season in the opening half where him and Mirallas gave you a bit of a run around before Mirallas got injured and then Naismith had to come on :(

You haven't a match thread for our game yet so I'll just post it here

Premier League ‏@premierleague 6m
Andre Marriner has been appointed referee for Tottenham Hotspur v Everton on Sunday April 7th. #TOTEVE

I saw on Opta before that you haven't had a penalty all season, I'm fully expecting you to get one on Sunday now.

You haven't a match thread for our game yet so I'll just post it here

Premier League ‏@premierleague 6m
Andre Marriner has been appointed referee for Tottenham Hotspur v Everton on Sunday April 7th. #TOTEVE

I saw on Opta before that you haven't had a penalty all season, I'm fully expecting you to get one on Sunday now.

If the roles were reversed (i.e. you guys were the ones without a penalty all season), you could bet on it.

See other thread on this forum, Spurs aren't a particularly lucky club, but I guess all supporters feel that way about their club.

How do you think you've fared this season. Has it played out how you were expecting?

At this stage I think this season has over-exceeded expectations. With Villas-Boas as our new manager, I always thought that perhaps this season would be the one to get him used to the squad, with the next being the true acid test; I expected us to get 5th and we have performed better than that. With the amount of changes that were made in the summer, I have been surprised at how well the team has integrated, and managed to perform in big games.

There are always certain players in teams that get the majority of the media praise and I would say this has easily been Gareth Bale and deservedly so, just how do you rank his ability?

Well, he's awesome. I don't think there's many other players in world football that are a exciting as him to watch at the moment. He has this extreme confidence about himself at the moment that make shim so dangerous in the open field with a bit of space in front of him - defenders looks scared to tackle him. That goal against Swansea reminded me of the one Messi scored against AC Milan in the Champions League - straight from underneath his foot and into the goal. The 'keeper couldn't do anything about it. under Redknapp he looked greedy when on the ball, but we accepted that because he was obviously a very good player - under Villas-Boas' tutelage it is more 'freedom' than anything else. He's given him a license to attack whenever he feels like it, just to be able to play football. It's great.

I don't think we can underestimate AVB's influence on making Bale the player he is today - he's taken this unbelievable talent, and put him in the right place within the team to become a world-beater.

Are there any players that haven't been getting the praise they deserve from the media and even your own fan base this season?

Up until Christmas our best player was certainly Sandro - he did more for the team than Bale in that period. But he did get recognition, and has now got injured. Now I think it's probably Jan Vertonghen. He's been sublime this season, and he's taken over Ledley King's role as the leader in defence with consummate ease. His ability with the ball is special, and his defensive timing is unbelievable. I think he could do better with his standing tackles and positioning sometimes, but this will come with experience. But for now, he isn't getting the plaudits he deserves by the media. I would have said Lloris, but they seem to be praising a lot.

To an extent. I think we have the players, team chemistry and believe to do so - but I think Chelsea and Arsenal won't make it easy for us. We need to do well in games such as those against Everton, City and Chelsea (or at least not lose) in order to have a chance.

How do you think the game will play out? Are you expecting Everton to come and sit deep or to come and attack? Are you expecting your Spurs team to go all out? Do you think the European game on Thursday will affect you?

I think Everton will do what most teams do against Spurs at WHL - they will sit with a deeper defensive line and try to frustrate us and give us as little time on the ball as possible. Players like Fellaini and Heitinga will get stuck into our best players and make them feel uncomfortable. They will then look for a breakaway, go with momentum or a set-piece to get a goal. I don't think the European game will have too much of an effect, as we've had rest from the international period, we're playing at home and Basel won't be as much of a test as other teams, for example.

I love him. He is still a little naive in certain situations but I feel that he is moving in the right direction for where I want this club to go, and his desire to play attacking football will win a lot of hearts at WHL.

Moving on to Everton...

Yet again, very well. Everton are one of those teams that surprise you with how well they do on limited resources. They are a very solid team that seem to perform well in the big matches, and Goodison Park is a very hard ground to get a win at. In the summer it was a choice between AVB and Moyes for the Spurs job (or it seemed to be, whether Moyes wanted it or not is a different story), and I would have loved to have Moyes here as well.

Who do you think will be the biggest threat to your Spurs side in the upcoming game?

I think Baines will provide Walker with all sorts of problems if he gets forward enough - the Spurs right-back has been dreadful defensively this season. His crosses may well find their way onto Fellaini's head, which I worry about.

What is your opinion of David Moyes and what do you make of the job he has done for Everton?

As stated earlier, he's done a fantastic job at Everton. To keep them consistently within the top half of the table for around 10 years is a feat in itself. He always seems to conduct himself with respect and dignity, which is a good thing to behold - and befits Everton as a club.

6th, but hopefully 4th with Spurs finishing 3rd or 2nd!

A tough one - I think it will be 2 - 1 Spurs, a reversal of the result at GP.

Last edited:
He's come on loads this season. Moyes always said he'd be a right back but whenever he played there in recent seasons he got torn a new one.

Moyes has played him at RB from the start this season and while he cost us a fair few goals in the beginning, he's stopped that now. His attacking is good, can take on a player and provides the odd good delivery. Maybe needs to work on that to go to the next level.

He always seems to have a good game against you too, his debut and earlier this season in the opening half where him and Mirallas gave you a bit of a run around before Mirallas got injured and then Naismith had to come on :(
I'll never forget that game we had with a few seasons back where we went 2-0 up and fudged it up to draw 2-2 (Defoe missed a penalty) - Coleman destroyed our left-hand side completely!

I'll never forget that game we had with a few seasons back where we went 2-0 up and fudged it up to draw 2-2 (Defoe missed a penalty) - Coleman destroyed our left-hand side completely!

Forget the goals, forget the missed penalty, the most important thing that happened that day was BAE getting injured and - the close to being written off/even sold or loaned out - Gareth Bale came on at half time to replace him. And he's never looked back.

I think we've performed above expectations so far. After losing 3 of our best players in the summer, new manager etc, I was willing to write this off as a transitional season but so far, we've done well. I expected 5th or 6th at the beginning of the season so I guess Ill have to wait till May to see if we've overachieved.

Superb player. He's on an unbelievable run of form at the moment, every time he gets on the ball, he looks dangerous and I think something else he brings is the fear he instills in other players. Still nowhere near the top 2 (he has to do what he's doing now over multiple consecutive seasons as they have done) but he's probably been the best player in the league in 2013.

Lloris I think is quite under-rated in how good he is by opposition fans. Sandro was having an outstanding season as well before he got injured.

This is Spurs we're talking about.....so No.

I think Everton will sit relatively deep, aim to stifle and annoy and then go for it when we get a bit more desperate at the end.

Other than 1 or 2 matches where he's made a few baffling decisions, I think he's done an excellent job, especially considering the pressure he came under at the beginning from the media and portions of our own fans. Now he needs to find us some of these things called strikers in the summer.

Moving on to Everton...

Again, excellent. To be where you are, on the budget that you have, is impressive.

Mirallas if he's fit.

I think he's done a pretty good job in the league but I feel that every time he's had a chance to move a level up/ win a trophy, he/his team have bottled it. Perhaps I'm being unfair with this though.

6th.

I'm appalling at predictions so I'll go for a hopeful 2-1 to us.

Despite some Spurs fans (see this forum as example) who think we should automatically walk 4th, personally we are overachieving so far. Cheat$ki was never going to have as bad a year as last year again (in a row), Pool would have been expected to improve, and we lost the core of our team w/King, Modric, VDV all gone. Add a new manager the media was dying to prove a failure, loss of Kaboul (our best CB last year) and failure to secure a #1 striker in either Window, being in the top 4 is a very good achievement up to now.

Bale has been a special player since before that night in Milan, what has changed this season is he has made it an every game performance instead of every 3rd/4th game. Right now, 3rd best player in Europe.

Lloris, Dembele and Lennon are critical to our system, Vert's looks a special CB. Out of those, Lennon is probably the overlooked/underestimated.

Tough, it's really between us/Scum/Cheat$ki, the team that puts together a good form run will have it easy, the other two will have it very close. Much like last year, it may be a point that makes the difference.

I expect Everton to sit deep, try and break up the flow of the game, make it a bit untidy. Hopefully no injuries from Thursday, but you definitely have a little advantage.

Lots of promise, makes mistakes, but seems to learn from them

Moving on to Everton...

Better than I expected, you tend to over rely on such a small squad, and recent buys have settled well

The usual, suspended two will definitely help us, but Mirallas

Great job, super consistent job of keeping you in or around Europe spots. Black mark is whenever it seems to really count, that next step (i.e. win a cup or CL), you seem to bottle it, that and your record against Pool is awful.

6th, above Pool

2-1 Spurs

Last edited:
Thanks again for the replies, I'll leave it until the end of these champs league matches to put it together in case anyones half way through filling it out.

I'll post a link tonight.

Edit- Doing this tomorrow now, had a few beers plus it'll get more attraction for our site if it goes on tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Did I miss what forum you write for?

I have to say I hate Everton as 2 of my best mates are Everton fans and likewise hate us due to me \o/

You desperately need a new ground which would bring a new owner but your never likely to get one without the other.

Your fans are reliable and do sin when our winning but the last few seasons you have given the red brick a run for the money in the decision complaining stakes

Everton for their overall outlay do exceptional well and I think it's something you can be proud of. I'm no sure ow long it can last though without he cash input, especially as you have already borrowed agains next seasons TV money

The best the that could have happened was the Tesco stadium in Kirby. It wasn't a great location but a free 50000 stadium with decent corporate rathe than the marquees in the car park really would add some revenue. I was involved in that project for 18 months but Tescos plans were ridiculous for the overall site.

I'm not gonna say good luck, but I will say welcome and thanks for asking our views

Didn't want to put the link up to our forum straight away, I try to do this article regularly but in the past few weeks for Norwich/City/Stoke I've been banned straight away for no reason.

I've done it successfully on many other sites and I'm glad yours can become one of them.

Our forum is relatively new, around 7 months, and began from one of the most successful Everton forums being hacked and destroyed haha.

I'll post a link to everything tomorrow, we've opened it up to guests so you don't have to all sign up!

Everything you say there is true in my opinion, apart from running them close to the money in the complaining stakes. We're never as bad as them, they still think Suarez is a saint!

Ok folks it's up here: http://myevertonnews.com/everton-talking-to-the-opposition-tottenham-hotspur/

A thread about it will be made on our forum automatically in about half an hour and more replies will most likely be on here: http://www.theevertonforum.co.uk/forum11.html
Nice one mate - I think we've managed to be rather unbiased! I hope we beat you lot in the next game (obviously) - but would love it if you finished above those other ****s from London. Oh that would be sweeeeet. Good luck in the season

Back