• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

It's bloody strange when the camera goes on him. Eveytime I have to remind myself that he's our manager, will take some getting used to.
Anyway, I'm so chuffed we won and Jose seems to be doing and saying a lot of the right things. Long may it continue.

I don't post very often but I was split on Joses' appointmemt and like most fans I worry that he's a relic but as much as I have loved what Poch has done for us and put us in the place we are now I ask myself do I feel that we are more likely to win trophies under Jose.. Definitely and I'm sure the players will too, I don't think Poch had it in him and even if in 2 years it turns sour I think there will be a trophy or two for us to celebrate so I for one will be throwing everything behind the new regime hoping to have something to remember when the baron times return! Cmon Jose...COYS

feel free to post more.

I’m going to stay as clear as I can about poch so will just make some comments on today...

- ecstatic he played that front three and Son and Moura switched it up, hope Kane continues in that locked down central target man role, best in the world imo.

- we weren’t slick with our passing and control and didn’t look cohesive as I’d like but the intensity and fight was beautiful to see.

-I liked the balance in midfield and I’m intrigued to see if he can improve Dier because there’s something in him worthwhile dragging out.

-loved Jose’s passion on the touch line and celebrating our goals, I probably shouldn’t, but I felt something today I haven’t for a while, pride in our team for fighting hard and for each other, as a collective we won out.

-we looked better defensively until we went sexy towards the end. Lots to do in that regard.

- The real Deli stood up today.

-we looked awesome on the counter with that three and we should have scored six today.

-lovely press work from Jose today, particularly his interview with Jonathan Pearce for BBC. Looks like he’s learned some lessons but time will tell.

I feel absolutely fudging elated tonight and proud of the boys, I hope these feelings are regular for the foreseeable future.

and absolutely ‘come on you spurs’ great start to a new era to get us rocking and rolling!

I don't post very often but I was split on Joses' appointmemt and like most fans I worry that he's a relic but as much as I have loved what Poch has done for us and put us in the place we are now I ask myself do I feel that we are more likely to win trophies under Jose.. Definitely and I'm sure the players will too, I don't think Poch had it in him and even if in 2 years it turns sour I think there will be a trophy or two for us to celebrate so I for one will be throwing everything behind the new regime hoping to have something to remember when the baron times return! Cmon Jose...COYS
1.4 posts a year for 7 years. As prolific as Sissoko! :D

I will say this about him - he's bloody strategic in how he's managing his image now.

Very, very much so. For a prime example, look at how he started his post-match interview with BT Sport - 'First of all, I would like to say hello to the guys in the studio - my boy, Joe Cole, Peter (Crouch), and the guy who is a massive fan of Norwich (the presenter).'

Everyone in the BT Sport room had grins wider than the Thames after that - which made their post-match analysis ludicrously easy on Mourinho.

I think he's used his ten months in the media to build relationships with nearly every pundit and commentator across terrestrial television, from Sky to Bein Sport to BT. Plus, the way he went through his first full press conference joking and conversing with the reporters personally ('not this guy, he'll come with philosophical question! Oh, it's okay, you are a good guy')...

...it's masterful, because the media brought him down twice, at Chelsea and United. He's determined to ensure that they're all relentlessly in love with him again, like the first time he was on these shores.

Hats off to him - that stint as a pundit wasn't random. Judging by how he handles the media now, it was intensely strategic.

The real test of his new relationships will come when he starts losing, but credit to the guy for thinking ahead.

However, that brings a danger with it - one that has implications for Levy.

The more Mourinho charms the media (And he has them eating out of his hand right now), the more influence he wields over the public perception of how he's being backed by Levy.

And I do not doubt for a single instant that Mourinho is the sort of man who will gleefully turn that powerful media blast straight at Levy if he feels he isn't being backed.

Poch, for all his flaws, was an honest, principled man - and a good human being, who trusted that he wouldn't be thrown under the bus.

The only public 'mouthpiece' he really had was his friend Guillem Balague - so when the end came for him, Levy escaped the worst of the media's fury because we, as a club, were able to prepare the ground by leaking things about Poch to the papers before sacking him. Levy's approach in terms of controlling narratives is to do that - go to the press first before sacking his coaches. Poch didn't bother with a response, and simply took it like a man.

I have little love for the man right now. But for his own sake, Levy needs to understand the danger in what Mourinho is doing. It is very, very different to Poch - and if things reach a head, Levy will find that the newly charming, roguish Mourinho has a media presence 1,000 times more powerful than Levy, and the club itself. That's the scale of the man.

I don't really care - if it forces Levy to spend money, good for Mourinho. We needed someone to scare that chairman of ours into spending.

But it will damage the club, which is the real risk here. For that reason, Levy needs to understand the dangerous brilliance of Mourinho's strategy.

Watching him in front of the camera, it's like he's morphed into MkI Poch while Poch was morhping into MkII Jose.

has he?
I’ve not seen that anywhere other than maybe united but I’m happy to be wrong
TBH I think he is tactically outstanding and that’s his BIG step up form Poch
His man management was outstanding too until he went to Madrid and had to deal with their egos

He played 433 most of the time at chelsea

I will say this about him - he's bloody strategic in how he's managing his image now.

Very, very much so. For a prime example, look at how he started his post-match interview with BT Sport - 'First of all, I would like to say hello to the guys in the studio - my boy, Joe Cole, Peter (Crouch), and the guy who is a massive fan of Norwich (the presenter).'

Everyone in the BT Sport room had grins wider than the Thames after that - which made their post-match analysis ludicrously easy on Mourinho.

I think he's used his ten months in the media to build relationships with nearly every pundit and commentator across terrestrial television, from Sky to Bein Sport to BT. Plus, the way he went through his first full press conference joking and conversing with the reporters personally ('not this guy, he'll come with philosophical question! Oh, it's okay, you are a good guy')...

...it's masterful, because the media bought him down twice, at Chelsea and United. He's determined to ensure that they're all relentlessly in love with him again, like the first time he was on these shores.

Hats off to him - that stint as a pundit wasn't random. Judging by how he handles the media now, it was intensely strategic.

The real test of his new relationships will come when he starts losing, but credit to the guy for thinking ahead.

I don't think I've ever had a run of total agreement with you like this ever. Another top post IMO!!!!!

The more Mourinho charms the media (And he has them eating out of his hand right now), the more influence he wields over the public perception of how he's being backed by Levy.

And I do not doubt for a single instant that Mourinho is the sort of man who will gleefully turn that powerful media blast straight at Levy if he feels he isn't being backed.

Poch, for all his flaws, was an honest, principled man - and a good human being, who trusted that he wouldn't be thrown under the bus.

The only public 'mouthpiece' he really had was his friend Guillem Balague - so when the end came for him, Levy escaped the worst of the media's fury because we, as a club, were able to prepare the ground by leaking things about Poch to the papers before sacking him. Levy's approach in terms of controlling narratives is to do that - go to the press first before sacking his coaches. Poch didn't bother with a response, and simply took it like a man.

I have little love for the man right now. But for his own sake, Levy needs to understand the danger in what Mourinho is doing. It is very, very different to Poch - and if things reach a head, Levy will find that the newly charming, roguish Mourinho has a media presence 1,000 times more powerful than Levy, and the club itself. That's the scale of the man.

I don't really care - if it forces Levy to spend money, good for Mourinho. We needed someone to scare that chairman of ours into spending.

But it will damage the club, which is the real risk here. For that reason, Levy needs to understand the dangerous brilliance of Mourinho's strategy.

My GHod, and again...mate...are on some sort of telepathic pathway??????? When I step outside this whole thing, the most fascinating battle will be the one between Levy and Mourinho. Because it will happen. And Voldy always likes to win, but I agree, he is dealing with The Master of Media Manipulation. My personal hunch is that before it can get toxic they will have sold the club and JM will have gazillions to spend.

Is there any need for it to get toxic?
Levy has seen Mourinho's history, he has seen Levy's work. They've (apparently) had discussion before.
If the contract is deliberately set at only three years with a fair understanding that this is not much more than a short-term appointment, then both parties could easily be satisfied by this. Especially as Jose is building on Levy and Pochettino's work in elevating the club's profile and squad as well as the infrastructure that finally seems near-ready to give significant boost to possible transfer spending.

On an unrelated point, I wonder if Jose sees any sort of parallel between Kane/Son/Moura and Drogba/Robben/Duff. I do not doubt that he really does feel that he has significant resources at his disposal and has enough confidence in his ability to believe that he can do big things with them

Last edited:
people have have said that but when I looked at the players in his squad and the games they played I’d say it was 4-4-2 with GudJohnson and Drogba up front with two wingers

I was thinking more of Robben, Cole/Duff and Drogba. With the midfield three being Makelele, Essien and Lampard.

West Ham 2-3 Tottenham: Jose Mourinho is 'back where he belongs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50531687

The London Stadium played host to 380 football journalists in their various guises. The guy on the gate who distributes the passes and, it is not unkind to say, has been round the block a few times, said it was unprecedented.

Like the article said, he really is box office.

I was thinking more of Robben, Cole/Duff and Drogba. With the midfield three being Makelele, Essien and Lampard.
Yeah I’d agree but looking at the number of games played it doesn’t equate right
It possible they played a few formations (heaven forbid they had a flexible manager) and also played 4-2-3-1

Last edited:
Is there any need for it to get toxic?
Levy has seen Mourinho's history, he has seen Levy's work. They've (apparently) had discussion before.
If the contract is deliberately set at only three years with a fair understanding that this is not much more than a short-term appointment, then both parties could easily be satisfied by this. Especially as Jose is building on Levy and Pochettino's work in elevating the club's profile and squad as well as the infrastructure that finally seems near-ready to give significant boost to possible transfer spending.

On an unrelated point, I wonder if Jose sees any sort of parallel between Kane/Son/Moura and Drogba/Robben/Duff. I do not doubt that he really does feel that he has significant resources at his disposal and has enough confidence in his ability to believe that he can do big things with them

not if everyone has learned lessons, no
I don’t get why people in football think things and people can’t change
You just need to look at City it see how things can change in the game
And then look at who the managers were in the league 20 years ago to today see the contrast.

Good points you bring up here.

I think there's a very real chance this ends in a toxic place. I wonder how much that could damage the club. The optimist in me thinks that Levy will get rid, ride out whatever media storm there is in silence as he usually does and we'll move on with a new manager.

I'd say there's an argument for Levy to be real trigger happy if it looks like things are turning sour.

For now Mourinho wants to change the impressions people have of him. A massive conflict with another club won't help that. He's on the attack, wants to prove that contrary to belief football hasn't passed him by. Our interests are very much aligned, hopefully things will stay like that for a good while.

Levy and Mourinho will know as much about each other as two people in football can without having actually worked together. They both come into this collaboration with open eyes and I don't think any of them can be accused of being naive or deluded. Conflicts will arise, will be interesting to see how it's handled.

Back