• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Ah, but then there's another (probably equally likely) scenario whereby your old GM was quite right, and you ignored him because what he was telling you was the WRONG ANSWER, and you're now sitting outside Moorgate tube, collecting coins in a paper cup. "Can you spare some change, mudshark?" you importune me. "I'm not sure, scara, my life isn't over yet," I reply.
I set the bounds within which my managers must work. Spending more is just the cop out, easy answer.

There will always be someone who can cope in those conditions.

I set the bounds within which my managers must work. Spending more is just the cop out, easy answer.

There will always be someone who can cope in those conditions.

History's littered with the corpses of people who were convinced they were right. Who knows, Levy might be one of them eventually.

It feels sad to see Pochettino leaving Spurs after 5 long years as manager but not really surprised. Our current league form home and away are so poor that not sure Pochettino could improve it. And with Levy as chairman, anything is always possible at Spurs ! The main problem at Spurs for the last 18 years had not been any managers or players but the chairman ! Levy' always seems to make the wrong choice when it comes to appointing managers or signing new players. Can never forgive and forget Levy sacking George Graham before the FA Cup semi final against Arsenal in 2001 ! We always need an experienced and successful manager to bring trophies but Levy always picks the young and inexperienced managers like Jol and Pochettino.

Pochettino's record at Spurs will show, League Cup runners-up, League title runners-up, CL runners-up and FA Cup semi finalists. Just imagine, if we had won the league title and CL, Pochettino would have been hailed as a legend ! Instead, history books will now remember Pochettino as a "nearly man" of football like Pleat in 1987 as he came very close to win major trophies at Spurs but just couldn't make the finishing touch.

Never wanted Pochettino as manager at Spurs as he was too young and inexperienced but he at least gave us the stability for the last 5 years. He made us a regular top 4 team but his main problem was he failed to make the step up to win us major trophies and devalued the domestic Cups ! Now with Pochettino leaving, we are back to zero under Levy and need to rebuild again. Can see the new manager breaking up the current team and taking 1 to 2 years to build a stable team. And as usual, Levy will be impatient to wait for the progress and sack the manager after 1 year or so again !

Our options seems very limited now when it comes to appointing managers. Almost all the experienced managers seems to be past their best or struggling now. Louis Van Gaal or Mourinho would have been perfect for us 5 years ago but they seem to have lost their magic nowadays. Just can't see Mourinho working under money-minded Levy for more than 1 year. But if we do appoint Mourinho, hope he will at least win us a trophy which we have not done since 2008 !

Last edited:
Woke up to the news as am in India at the mo. Some great posts in here have helped me with processing this!

Immediately after the Sheffield United game I wanted him to go as I just didn’t think the team were playing for him. But once I’d calmed down I’d got myself into hoping / wishing / believing we just needed a turning point, some time for the new signings to bed in and all would be well.

I wonder if I am just too emotionally involved to decide whether this is a harsh decision or not. I felt similarly when Jol left, the. thought everything was justified with the Carling Cup win before we hit a real low.

In sure it will be Mourinho, when a manager leaves Levy looks to bring in someone with the qualities the old one was missing, even if it means sacrificing the positives.

Graham for Hoddle, Attritional ex Goon replaced by idealist club legend. Replaced by Santini as someone International pedigree as part of a DoF set up. I believe Jol was Arnesens choice all along, a far more charismatic choice and a popular coach / man manager at the beginning of his career but since proven to be a nearly man. Replaced with the discipline of Ramos, the only one who had the nouse to win a final. Replaced with charismatic man manager with lots of domestic no big club experience, replaced by a young detail orientated coach with no domestic track record, replaced by a charismatic coach with domestic small club experience.
So the missing parts of big club, winning trophies and handling and increased transfer budget would seem to be filled by Mourinho, who will in turn be replaced by Nagelsman after delivering an FA cup but faking out with Harry Kane after dropping him for Lukaku in the final...

So this seems to be following the Sunderland til I die trend of sacking the manager before Christmas, we’ll have Eriksen in the Rodwell role turning down offers in Jan and Levy trying to sign free transfers on 31 Jan. Don’t want to spoil the ending though...

Amazon must be loving this. I am gutted but maybe I am too invested in Poch and what he achieved under considerable constraints to not consider the calendar long form regression and the change in his demeanour. Feels harsh that he has had to wait a year to sign players and then doesn’t get to to use them, but he hasn’t handled the out of contractors consistently and has a weakness for a couple of players who seem to get selected no matter what. He probably needs a rest and will have plenty of suitors, time will tell if he can manage a club with bigger aspirations or if his niche is punching above a clubs weight. Sincerely hope that if he does well it’s not with United though, they could be the perfect combo of reduced expectations and large resources for him to walk into in 6 months time. Madrid PSG or Bayern will expect a CL within 2 years and league titles are a prerequisite.
There may well be some other things behind the scenes that tarnish his halo, a la Jol and the Saudi Sportswashing Machine interview but at this point in time I am grateful to him for making the club as universally
popular as it has ever been, rival fans paying reluctant compliments, envying our model and manager and even wishing me well for the CL final feels unheard of in my time as a fan. Of course they are all delighting in the circus and has someone pointed out Chelsea by what I can only assume is their continued pact with the devil have now become the darlings of the neutral.
Too many great games to mention, derby wins, the CL run, the continued participation in CL. If I had to pick my abiding memory though it was the finale, beating Man U comfortably whilst securing an unbeaten season at home was the peak for me. I hope one day I get to feel the same at our new home with a new manager.

I am honestly wondering why so many are blaming Levy. Levy has his targets to meet and you could argue he had given Pochettino enough time. Also we have no idea what finally forced his hand. Would anyone really have done differently?
I think it may be the emotional attachment to Poch after all he has been the front man for the fans for a long time, in some trying circumstances that weren’t all of his making. I can’t speak for others but I do feel that the better we do the more Levy thinks he can extract rather than strengthening our hand. We also may feel differently if Poch has down things behind the scenes that made his position untenable and to his credit Levy is rarely one to disclose such things.
The situation had got to the point where every defeat could have been one too many for Poch, every decision is then questioned and that makes for a nigh impossible job internally. I think it says something about our fans of how much they invested in Poch that they wanted him to succeed, even at the risk of the trajectory continuing because they respected his last achievements and remembered his commitment in the wake of United and Madrid coverting him.
Whatever I think about the transfer and contract policy and the short term costs of the new stadium Levy is always going to be the bad guy when it comes to making this decision and this board demonstrates how difficult a decision it must have been - and we’ve not been working side by side with the man for five years.

The finger pointing at Levy is quite simple really, Poch was not been backed in the market or with the existing squad and players that need to have been moved on - now obviously those doing so fail to see the context of the stadium build, the delay in moving in and subsequent knock on effect it had on our finances but hive/internet mentality means there needs to be an ogre figure.

I predicted fans will turn on Levy before Poch and i can you now that there is a much bigger anti Levy sentiment from the fanbase in the wake of this news than there ever was towards Pochettino and our last years form. This next appointment and whether we back the manager in the market will be make or break for his reputation

Back