• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Living in Manchester

The Bullring, the Mailbox, the new Grand Central and Brindley Place are all excellent.

Avoid the rest like the fudging plague

gonad*s mate!

Could not disagree more...If painstakingly walking through the Bullring through swades of zombies going to identikit topmans / new looks / Pret a mangers/ Starbucks is your thing then fair enough but I didn't have you down as that type of bloke. New grand central is a train station and the train service provided is an absolute disgrace, how is that excellent? Brindley place as I've previously explained is full of tossers and truly "basic" bars and the Mailbox is if you wanna pretend you're in London and are happy to pay the same ££££ as if you are.

Birmingham's beauty lies in Mosely, Digbeth, Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bearwood for things going on and Sutton park because it's a sanctuary to get away from the grim architecture / constant building and redevelopment

Birmingham's beauty lies in Mosely, Digbeth, Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bearwood for things going on and Sutton park because it's a sanctuary to get away from the grim architecture / constant building and redevelopment
I used to drive through those places and they're all fudging holes. Wouldn't leave my car for 10 minutes in anyone of them.

You're right about the shops in the bullring though - they really need to up the standard. High end high street just doesn't cut it any more - especially not with places like Bicester Village being such a short drive away.

Not sure if you're joking. Colmore row & Brindley place are the nice-ish places in a yuppie central 7/8 quid a pint probably think Jeremy Clarkson / Piers Morgan are really funny and have a point tossathon post work and the rest is a building site where each week or so the scaffolding gets moved so you're funneled between a different cranes for a change.

Now they're doing the tramlines it's committed the city to being a joke for probably another 10 years whilst a massive strip of perfectly functioning buildings have been torn down for HS2 which will probably never happen. Not like there's a massive homeless problem in the city or anything...(for clarity, there is.)

The council are obsessed with big weird shiny metallic designs for buildings that no other city wants to take on which leads me to think that the council has been taken over by magpies and are running the show from the trees and New Street station is the perfect microcosm for the an example, they pumped a huge amount of money in to the station so there's a brick load more poncy shops (as if the bull ring wasn't big enough anyway) yet no improvement to the actual service provided. I literally haven't got on a train that's been on time in 11 days and I'm on them twice a day going through that brick show.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be alright once trams are sorted and should connect south Brum a little better where there are things going on but it's a real slow process and it's the marketing execs and consultants that must be raking it in because every fancy building / venue / shopping center is renamed or refurbished every couple of years so keeping track of what is called what nowadays is hard enough.

And yes, you may have touched a nerve here ;) It's good to vent sometimes even if it doesn't solve anything I guess!

Edit - And just to keep this thread vaguely on topic, Manchester can go fudge itself.

Isn't New St the station where they spent like a billion on it but because of the way the lines feed into the station there was no way to actually increase capacity so they just spent all the money putting in a few fancy shops and a shiny roof?

Not sure if you're joking. Colmore row & Brindley place are the nice-ish places in a yuppie central 7/8 quid a pint probably think Jeremy Clarkson / Piers Morgan are really funny and have a point tossathon post work and the rest is a building site where each week or so the scaffolding gets moved so you're funneled between a different cranes for a change.

Now they're doing the tramlines it's committed the city to being a joke for probably another 10 years whilst a massive strip of perfectly functioning buildings have been torn down for HS2 which will probably never happen. Not like there's a massive homeless problem in the city or anything...(for clarity, there is.)

The council are obsessed with big weird shiny metallic designs for buildings that no other city wants to take on which leads me to think that the council has been taken over by magpies and are running the show from the trees and New Street station is the perfect microcosm for the an example, they pumped a huge amount of money in to the station so there's a brick load more poncy shops (as if the bull ring wasn't big enough anyway) yet no improvement to the actual service provided. I literally haven't got on a train that's been on time in 11 days and I'm on them twice a day going through that brick show.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be alright once trams are sorted and should connect south Brum a little better where there are things going on but it's a real slow process and it's the marketing execs and consultants that must be raking it in because every fancy building / venue / shopping center is renamed or refurbished every couple of years so keeping track of what is called what nowadays is hard enough.

And yes, you may have touched a nerve here ;) It's good to vent sometimes even if it doesn't solve anything I guess!

Edit - And just to keep this thread vaguely on topic, Manchester can go fudge itself.

I like the new bit up between the Museum and the Symphony Hall. They seem to have done a good job keeping the worthwhile buildings and getting rid of all the crap ones (isn't that where that Pallasades centre used to be?). It links in with that nice Gas Street canal boat bit now too.

Slightly off-topic but I’ll be in Birmingham mid-November, Will have two weekday evenings free. Staying in Horse Fair? Any recommendations would be greatly received.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Isn't New St the station where they spent like a billion on it but because of the way the lines feed into the station there was no way to actually increase capacity so they just spent all the money putting in a few fancy shops and a shiny roof?

Oh yes indeed. I can only imagine that Jon and Scara must have made some mulah out of it to consider it in any way a good thing.

I like the new bit up between the Museum and the Symphony Hall. They seem to have done a good job keeping the worthwhile buildings and getting rid of all the crap ones (isn't that where that Pallasades centre used to be?). It links in with that nice Gas Street canal boat bit now too.

Centenary square. They've put a fountain in there and putting up the ice rink as we speak. It could be a nice space for sure but tram lines going right by it mean it's going to be an eyesore for quite a while yet.

Slightly off-topic but I’ll be in Birmingham mid-November, Will have two weekday evenings free. Staying in Horse Fair? Any recommendations would be greatly received.

For areas where there's a bit going on see my earlier post! I have a feeling that the christmas market will be up and running by then but which has it's pluses if you're in to German beer and overpriced tat.

If it happens to be on a night where Spurs are playing I'd be happy to meet up (in a non Custard / Chich type way) to catch the game somewhere in town mate!

gonad*s mate!

Could not disagree more...If painstakingly walking through the Bullring through swades of zombies going to identikit topmans / new looks / Pret a mangers/ Starbucks is your thing then fair enough but I didn't have you down as that type of bloke. New grand central is a train station and the train service provided is an absolute disgrace, how is that excellent? Brindley place as I've previously explained is full of tossers and truly "basic" bars and the Mailbox is if you wanna pretend you're in London and are happy to pay the same ££££ as if you are.

bull ring is fine - I didn’t comment on the people there being fine. In fact elsewhere I’d already stated the issue with Birmingham is its full of Brummies. and I had the bullring in mind when I typed that.

Brindley Place seemed fine when I went recently. Took the kids to SeaLife centre which was surprisingly good. Then had a nice meal at a restaurant opposite.

Had a good shopping splurge last week at the Mail box. Refreshed my wardrobe due to the weight loss, and picked up a few furniture items before ‘finishing off’ with a pleasant massage at Mal Maison. As you say “London prices” which is fine for me as it scares off the aforementioned Bullring brummie zombies.

Grand Central. As a station? Platform 9 in and out of Leicester. It’s a platform. Trains come and go from it. Hard to become emotionally attached.

The rest of the upgrade? It’s light years ahead of that brick show that New Street was previously. John Lewis is a huge upgrade - unless you were a discount / vaping store Palisades man?

As for the natural beauty of the other Brum areas, no idea. Don’t know, don’t want to know, no need to know.

All sounds a bit Peaky Blinders to me - I think ‘Red Right Hand’ needs to be your signature tune!

Oh yes indeed. I can only imagine that Jon and Scara must have made some mulah out of it to consider it in any way a good thing.

Centenary square. They've put a fountain in there and putting up the ice rink as we speak. It could be a nice space for sure but tram lines going right by it mean it's going to be an eyesore for quite a while yet.

For areas where there's a bit going on see my earlier post! I have a feeling that the christmas market will be up and running by then but which has it's pluses if you're in to German beer and overpriced tat.

If it happens to be on a night where Spurs are playing I'd be happy to meet up (in a non Custard / Chich type way) to catch the game somewhere in town mate!

Thanks mate, good info! Will let you know about meet-up, not sure how my days are going to play out just yet.

21dcad644ca74d627606f3abff3b5449.jpg

Back