• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the idea of ‘one last payday’ to just be an odd thing for Eriksen and Toby to be focussed in on. Like...did Lampard need it when still in his prime for Chelsea? They paid him proper money, they were competing and he stayed. Drogba?

I’m not talking about players that go to the MLS or China, but the ‘he just wants to live in Spain’ thing seems a bit spurious to me, as does the idea that he just wants one last payday, as if we couldn’t provide it. It’s like the new ‘he just wants CL football’ but in this case it’s almost less believable. Sure he may get slightly bigger wages if he went to Juve on a free, but if we keep progressing at the rate that we do, we are going to be closing even that gap. Then you have to think about the fact that you’re challenging in the best league in the world, and you’ve made a CL final. And the club is bringing top players in. What exactly is this idea?

Ronaldo left United to be put on the pedal stool as the best in the world. Bale left a very different Spurs. Maybe, relative to Eriksen, he feels like it’s his opportunity to play at the highest possible level and it’s a similar desire to Ronaldo. But, unless Real have played the ultimate game, they don’t seem like they are that interested. Maybe they’ll take him on a free next summer, but then what? Eriksen moving to a club that may or may not want him really badly? If they don’t really want him they may well not offer him the massive wages he thinks he’ll get if they are taking a punt. And if they are taking a punt, he isn’t going to be as important on the pitch.

It’s all a little weird to me. Feels like bad agent advice has lead him to believe his hand is better than it was, and it feels like the agents haven’t fully grasped where Spurs were going and what he already had in being here. It’s like a layover from the ‘Spurs will probably fall back to 6th next season’ days. Eriksen could be an important cog in a place he knows, getting paid proper money and competing for the biggest prizes in football. Hanging round on the off chance that two of the biggest clubs in the world decide to take a punt just feels weird. It’s lame, and doesn’t feel like the right way to manage a career. Being half in and half out.

I can’t think of other examples where players at a club of our current stature have done this. And the fact that we have two of them at the same time feels like someone somewhere has made the wrong call, or has not appreciated where we are going. The thing with these clubs is that if they really want you, they make it happen. They don’t sit around hoping they can nab you on a free. They sign you because they believe you are the best.

Suarez left Liverpool, but they were a different Liverpool. Hazard left Chelsea, but they are a different Chelsea to Lampard’s time and had a transfer ban. Maybe it is quite comparable to Hazard’s case in that he feels he’s given everything over the last 7 years and wants to leave, which is fair enough. But maybe the uncomfortable truth for Eriksen is that Real made it happen with Hazard. Why didn’t they make it happen with him?

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the idea of ‘one last payday’ to just be an odd thing for Eriksen and Toby to be focussed in on. Like...did Lampard need it when still in his prime for Chelsea? They paid him proper money, they were competing and he stayed. Drogba?

I’m not talking about players that go to the MLS or China, but the ‘he just wants to live in Spain’ thing seems a bit spurious to me, as does the idea that he just wants one last payday, as if we couldn’t provide it. It’s like the new ‘he just wants CL football’ but in this case it’s almost less believable. Sure he may get slightly bigger wages if he went to Juve on a free, but if we keep progressing at the rate that we do, we are going to be closing even that gap. Then you have to think about the fact that you’re challenging in the best league in the world, and you’ve made a CL final. And the club is bringing top players in. What exactly is this idea?

Ronaldo left United to be put on the pedal stool as the best in the world. Bale left a very different Spurs. Maybe, relative to Eriksen, he feels like it’s his opportunity to play at the highest possible level and it’s a similar desire to Ronaldo. But, unless Real have played the ultimate game, they don’t seem like they are that interested. Maybe they’ll take him on a free next summer, but then what? Eriksen moving to a club that may or may not want him really badly? If they don’t really want him they may well not offer him the massive wages he thinks he’ll get if they are taking a punt. And if they are taking a punt, he isn’t going to be as important on the pitch.

It’s all a little weird to me. Feels like bad agent advice has lead him to believe his hand is better than it was, and it feels like the agents haven’t fully grasped where Spurs were going and what he already had in being here. It’s like a layover from the ‘Spurs will probably fall back to 6th next season’ days. Eriksen could be an important cog in a place he knows, getting paid proper money and competing for the biggest prizes in football. Hanging round on the off chance that two of the biggest clubs in the world decide to take a punt just feels weird. It’s lame, and doesn’t feel like the right way to manage a career. Being half in and half out.

I can’t think of other examples where players at a club of our current stature have done this. And the fact that we have two of them at the same time feels like someone somewhere has made the wrong call, or has not appreciated where we are going. The thing with these clubs is that if they really want you, they make it happen. They don’t sit around hoping they can nab you on a free. They sign you because they believe you are the best.

Suarez left Liverpool, but they were a different Liverpool. Hazard left Chelsea, but they are a different Chelsea to Lampard’s time and had a transfer ban. Maybe it is quite comparable to Hazard’s case in that he feels he’s given everything over the last 7 years and wants to leave, which is fair enough. But maybe the uncomfortable truth for Eriksen is that Real made it happen with Hazard. Why didn’t they make it happen with him?

Honestly don't think it's about the money with Eriksen, for him I think it's about new experience.
If he gets to continue his career at the level of club he deserves to then trophies will almost certainly come.
Toby has been fudged over by his agent.

Honestly don't think it's about the money with Eriksen, for him I think it's about new experience.
If he gets to continue his career at the level of club he deserves to then trophies will almost certainly come.
Toby has been fudged over by his agent.
Don't think Toby has been fudged over....he had a very plausible exit strategy with the £25m release clause. Everyone thought that he'd be gone... bizarrely no-one was interested.

I think in both cases the agent is their father.

That will nearly always spell trouble imo, as fathers who insist on being in control despite being unqualified to do so, will act in a certain stubborn way, incapable of seeing the bigger picture and therefore at the detriment of their ‘client’.

Don't think Toby has been fudged over....he had a very plausible exit strategy with the £25m release clause. Everyone thought that he'd be gone... bizarrely no-one was interested.

It’s an agent’s job to be on the right side of these things though. It’s all well and good to run a contract down, that is the leverage you have, but you have to be pretty sure that the advice you’re giving is correct, and that a good move will materialise.

I mean...Toby was most seriously linked with Roma. After all that, the half a season on the bench, the botched negotiations, the reintegration into the team, the team that comes closest to him is Roma, and they don’t even have the stones to pay a heavily discounted fee.

Toby is lucky we didn’t sign another defender to plan ahead, as leaving us for Roma would have been pointless and we may have forced him out. And a Eriksen is I think quite lucky that we didn’t get Dybala in the end. If we did, he would have had a season on the bench or been forced out to a club that probably wasn’t to our level.

It just smacks of the agents not realising how quickly we were progressing, and of the advice being to leave the options open to get their players out of here. Which is something I still don’t fully understand given what we now are as a club. They have taken risks and it hasn’t panned out for them.

It’s an agent’s job to be on the right side of these things though. It’s all well and good to run a contract down, that is the leverage you have, but you have to be pretty sure that the advice you’re giving is correct, and that a good move will materialise.

I mean...Toby was most seriously linked with Roma. After all that, the half a season on the bench, the botched negotiations, the reintegration into the team, the team that comes closest to him is Roma, and they don’t even have the stones to pay a heavily discounted fee.

Toby is lucky we didn’t sign another defender to plan ahead, as leaving us for Roma would have been pointless and we may have forced him out. And a Eriksen is I think quite lucky that we didn’t get Dybala in the end. If we did, he would have had a season on the bench or been forced out to a club that probably wasn’t to our level.

It just smacks of the agents not realising how quickly we were progressing, and of the advice being to leave the options open to get their players out of here. Which is something I still don’t fully understand given what we now are as a club. They have taken risks and it hasn’t panned out for them.

Not to derail the topic, but Toby has experience of this situation and should know better.
No one was clamouring for his signature in his moves to Southampton or when he came here.

All said with a good dose of hindsight:p

All said with a good dose of hindsight:p

Agreed! If it was my agent though I’d just want them to be on the right side of the debate is all. Dele and Dier didn’t seem to have a problem grasping where the club was heading. Maybe it’s bexause they’re English and didn’t grow up idolising Barca, but the fact that no real club has come in for either player at a heavily discounted rate suggests something has gone wrong in the planning somewhere.

He would get £200k max here, and would likely get £300k+ at Juve if he left on a free. That's a lot more than slightly more. Ramsey is on £400k.

Agreed! If it was my agent though I’d just want them to be on the right side of the debate is all. Dele and Dier didn’t seem to have a problem grasping where the club was heading. Maybe it’s bexause they’re English and didn’t grow up idolising Barca, but the fact that no real club has come in for either player at a heavily discounted rate suggests something has gone wrong in the planning somewhere.
Dele and Dier are younger players. For Alderweireld and Eriksen it's perhaps also a question of going to a team more likely to win titles and perhaps a chance to play for one of the biggest clubs around. I can understand that motivation.

Dele in particular is at a very different stage of his career. Dier is at a point where his first propriety should be getting back to his best and hope to progress from there. Don't think any bigger club than us would sign him at this point.

Dele and Dier are younger players. For Alderweireld and Eriksen it's perhaps also a question of going to a team more likely to win titles and perhaps a chance to play for one of the biggest clubs around. I can understand that motivation.

Dele in particular is at a very different stage of his career. Dier is at a point where his first propriety should be getting back to his best and hope to progress from there. Don't think any bigger club than us would sign him at this point.
Dier is 25, and Eriksen 27 so not much difference - Just because Dier hasnt really kicked on doesnt mean he can still be labelled in the young category:D....

Good points and i agree.

It is surprising, is it not, that no-one has come in for either. They're regularly touted as top defender or top creative midfielder in the prem. I don't think whomever is advising them would have thought moving on after Spurs would be that difficult given their relative reputations.

FWIW Toby would have 100% gone to Man U if they hadn't refused to sell us Martial and quite rightly we blocked Toby going there just for cash.

Of course as WE have progressed the options of an upward move have thinned out. I can understand wanting to move on and win something but we are so very close ourselves and both are massive parts of that and given the current environment they are playing and training in you just might think they'd love to stick around and be a main player when the glory days/nights happen.

It is surprising, is it not, that no-one has come in for either. They're regularly touted as top defender or top creative midfielder in the prem. I don't think whomever is advising them would have thought moving on after Spurs would be that difficult given their relative reputations.

FWIW Toby would have 400% gone to Man U if they hadn't refused to sell us Martial and quite rightly we blocked Toby going there just for cash.

Of course as WE have progressed the options of an upward move have thinned out. I can understand wanting to move on and win something but we are so very close ourselves and both are massive parts of that and given the current environment they are playing and training in you just might think they'd love to stick around and be a main player when the glory days/nights happen.
There's the post-Poch curse too. No one who plays under him ever reaches that level again under other coaches

Back