• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley ***

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sissoko was very good yesterday. On the rare occasions Burnley tried to go forward Sissoko took the ball off them.
He is like our very own Red Adair putting out fires all over the pitch and then bringing the ball forward.
Yes, he frustrates but what player does not, Lamela a cast in point yesterday.

I agree but he's now uber defensive away and still loses. He might as well have given it a go yesterday. His 2018/19 tactics are dour and so depressing to watch for their excellent travelling fans.

If he’d “have given it a go” we’d have scored 25 goals.

Even Barca kept bodies behind the ball against us.

The time wasting piece de resistance, as it were, had to be when Hart decided his hair needed drying with the towel he had at the back of the goal. (A towel which must have been sodden anyway). I think the ref might have actually spoken to him then, although as Burnley then decided to bring on a sub (which I don't think Hart would have seen at the time as he was too busy with his head in his towel) he technically wasn't holding up play.

On another occasion Hart actually looked like he was going to take a relatively quick free kick after I think Sissoko had been flagged offside. The ref then pointed out he was taking it from the wrong spot, which whilst technically the right thing to do, just gave Hart the perfect opportunity to take a slow saunter over to the other side of the box and take time checking with the linesman that he was in the right place, and of course the ref did nothing.
Can't blame Hart if he's allowed to get away with it.

And to add to the sins of the ref : when one of the Burnley players had treatment on the pitch, the ref didn't notice that the player just got up and carried on without leaving the field of play, until the noise of the crowd and one of our players drew his attention to it.

Very poor from the ref.

Time wasting has always been a problem in football. The problem is the refs do nothing to stop teams from doing it. They wait until the 85th minute before eventually booking someone. It’s a token gesture and doesn’t really help at all.

The same dross that finished 7th last Season? Leading for some in the media to wonder why he wasn't in the running for a more prestigious position
They pulled a Leicester last season. Got massively lucky and should have finished a couple of spots above relegation. Their performances were dire, just like yesterday, but they got the rub of the green.

They pulled a Leicester last season. Got massively lucky and should have finished a couple of spots above relegation. Their performances were dire, just like yesterday, but they got the rub of the green.
Fair enough. I don't get the time to watch football outside of Spurs games. So all I see of any opposition is when we play them.

Our xG yesterday was equal to ManCity's, so I don't get an oppinion that we perfomed poorly in attack. Under Poch we often struggle to break up an opposition which sits deeply, plays negatively and only relies on set-pieces in attack. Still we had 5-6 goal scoring chances yesterday, were denied a clear penalty, which is a solid outcome considering our starting lineup and Burnley's awful tactics with enormous amount of time-wasting. Only they are to be blamed for that average football show. Hopefully, they will be relegated after this season.

Not quite :p

upload_2018-12-17_0-29-50.jpeg

i love an ugly 1-0 win, i've said it before and I'll say it again, thats how "championship" teams win titles, 5 years ago we would have drawn that 0-0, 10 years ago we'd have lost that 1-0, and thanks poch for blooding young skipp.

Agree.

Uncannily, literally 10 seconds before we scored I turned to the missus and said 'You know, the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, plus Fergie's United would get a winner here'

Good to know we are changing our ways slowly but surely. Unluckily for us, this season looks like its another where no matter how high our points total might end up, we are not just chasing one juggernaut this season, we are behind two

Agree.

Uncannily, literally 10 seconds before we scored I turned to the missus and said 'You know, the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, plus Fergie's United would get a winner here'

Good to know we are changing our ways slowly but surely. Unluckily for us, this season looks like its another where no matter how high our points total might end up, we are not just chasing one juggernaut this season, we are behind two

yup, we should have won the title in Leicester's season, that was a power "vacuum" we may not see again for a number of years.

What an important win this was....last minute too...i was at a hotel having a meal with the family and they had BBC final score in the background...oh what joy without any sound (and i was able to hold my yelping in to keep the decorum in the place!!)
Got some good rest into a few as well.

I think this will give the team and hopefully us fans belief that it's not over until it really is over.

Bring on Arsenal and Everton. COYS!!

Great to continue our winning run. But it was not really a convincing performance. It seems like we were still celebrating after progressing to the next round of CL as we couldn't lift our game. We dominated the match but our attack looked toothless. We only had 3 shots on target which was disappointing since we were playing at home. We didn't look like scoring until Eriksen scored our only goal in injury time. Really thought we would get a big win over Burnley. Our lack of goals in the league might come back to affect us late in the season.

Credit to Eriksen for scoring our only goal and Kane for assisting it. But all our key players had a poor match. It seems like we got complacent after the draw with Barcelona which helped us progress in the CL. All our players didn't have their goal scoring boot on except for Eriksen who came late in the match. Kane didn't even have any goal scoring chance. Lamela had 3 chances which he should have done better, Moura wasted atleast 1 chance, Son wasted 1 chance while Alli too wasted a good chance. Fortunately for us, Eriksen scored the much needed goal after being set up by Kane. Special mention to Llorente and Alli who helped to set up the ball to Kane. Apart from that, we didn't look like scoring whole match.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Sissoko and the youngster Skipp had a decent match but was not really tested by Burnley. Thought it was risky by Pochettino to start the inexperienced Skipp. I think someone more experienced should have started in midfield instead. Sissoko worked hard as usual but were let down by his poor finishing. He really should have shot at goal a few times instead of passing to other players. Also felt, Nkoudou should have started instead of Skipp. Really disappointing that Nkoudou has not played at all this season despite playing well in the pre-season matches.

Well done to our defence for keeping the second consecutive clean sheet in the league. Was worried to see Davies starting in defence with Alderweireld. But thought Davies did well even if we were not troubled by Burnley at all. Lloris didn't have much to do in the match. Not sure why Vertonghen didn start but suddenly our defence seemed limited in option. Hope Vertonghen and Sanchez will be fully fit soon.

This was a much needed win. Failing to win against any bottom teams will really affect our top 4 race. But we really need to learn to be more ruthless and clinical against these bottom teams like Burnley. Let's hope we will improve our performance as the season progresses.

Back