• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Sessegnon is going to explode into the EPL next season. He easily should have gone to the WC ahead of Sterling.

It wouldn't surprise me if in 12 months time he's considered in the M'Bappe/O Dembele bracket and is heading to Spain for over £100m.
A wild prediction.

Son, Eriksen and Alli start. Moura and Lamela are the two AM subs. Zaha is 6th in that pecking order, taking Sissoko's minutes
The way I see it, of those players you mentioned there are only three that do their best work from a wide position.... Son, Moura and Lamela. Zaha is better than Lamela, considerably so IMO, so is first reserve straight away. He has also shown more in the PL than Moura has (although I accept that Moura hasn't been here long). Son will also miss some games to play for Korea and there will be injury and loss of form over the season.

I think you underrate Zaha by a great deal. If he came to Spurs all of our attacking players would be wary that he is, at the very least, a proper challenger for his place in the team.

It seems as though Pochettino has been trying a 4-3-3 this summer. In that formation Eriksen will definitely drop back and I think Ali may do the same. It would leave us picking three from: Kane, Son, Zaha (what a front 3 that is!) Llorente, Moura and Lamela. 2 players for each position, which should allow us to challenge across all competitions.

Our options for the 3 midfielders behind them are then Ali, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Sissoko, Wanyama, Winks. This time 7 players for 3 places..... probably one too many in normal circumstances but considering Wanyama and Winks are currently injured and Demeble's general injury record that is probably a sensible number for competition and cover.

They wouldn't for the c.£20m we were talking about in April/May. But for £50-70m its worth a try

Their spending so far this summer must also be creating problems for them with FFP
I think as far as FFP is concerned the expenditure on players is booked over equal installments over the player's contract length. So if Fulham spend 100 million on players and put them all on 5 year contracts then their FFP spend is considered as only 20 million each year for the next 5 years. This is done irrespective of how the actual cash flow of the transfer fee works. FFP is unlikely ever to be a significant problem to promoted clubs in their first season or two, the problem generally only surfaces if they get relegated again and the income drops off a cliff.

The way I see it, of those players you mentioned there are only three that do their best work from a wide position.... Son, Moura and Lamela. Zaha is better than Lamela, considerably so IMO, so is first reserve straight away. He has also shown more in the PL than Moura has (although I accept that Moura hasn't been here long). Son will also miss some games to play for Korea and there will be injury and loss of form over the season.

I think you underrate Zaha by a great deal. If he came to Spurs all of our attacking players would be wary that he is, at the very least, a proper challenger for his place in the team.

It seems as though Pochettino has been trying a 4-3-3 this summer. In that formation Eriksen will definitely drop back and I think Ali may do the same. It would leave us picking three from: Kane, Son, Zaha (what a front 3 that is!) Llorente, Moura and Lamela. 2 players for each position, which should allow us to challenge across all competitions.

Our options for the 3 midfielders behind them are then Ali, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Sissoko, Wanyama, Winks. This time 7 players for 3 places..... probably one too many in normal circumstances but considering Wanyama and Winks are currently injured and Demeble's general injury record that is probably a sensible number for competition and cover.

We don't especially play wide AMs - that's what the wingbacks are for

There is quite a large chance that Sessegnon will not become as good a player as Zaha is now. If we are debating on whether to spend the same money on Zaha or Sessegnon then Zaha should get the nod every single time.
Not sure I agree with this. We can't buy world class players, we need to take a risk before the big boys pounce. One of the big boys has already taken a punt on Zaha, why is no one else interested?
We've had much better luck gambling on the next big thing, than spending big money on supposedly established players.

Sessegnon is going to explode into the EPL next season. He easily should have gone to the WC ahead of Sterling.

It wouldn't surprise me if in 12 months time he's considered in the M'Bappe/O Dembele bracket and is heading to Spain for over £100m.

I predict he spends a lot of time bouncing off the big boys and trying to learn next season

When he has stepped up at international level he has struggled physically

Not sure I agree with this. We can't buy world class players, we need to take a risk before the big boys pounce. One of the big boys has already taken a punt on Zaha, why is no one else interested?
We've had much better luck gambling on the next big thing, than spending big money on supposedly established players.
How do you know who is interested? If you’re going by media links then Dortmund and Chelsea are anyway.

As for gambling on the next big thing the consensus seems to be we need to bring in some established players to supplement the youthful core if we want to kick on. Sess might be great in a few years but he’s not currently at Zahas level and we need to start looking at players who will make a difference now and not just ones who could in a couple of seasons time....

Man U "took a punt" because he was wildly talented and well worth a go. Then Fergie left, he was stuck with Moyes, farmed out on loan and - ultimately - just to young to handle it.

He has since come back to Palace, settled, developed a huge amount and matured.

Are you trying to say we would be buying the same player that (presumably) "failed" at Utd?

I think Levy must be saving all his custard up for Thursday week, when it will come out and go everywhere. We all know he hearts a deadline day deal.

Back