• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Being an idealist (and involved in media as you know) I have to say that any editor who has the balls to ignore the cheap headline and deliver a story which breaks down there truth based on proper evidence would have the best story of all.

Yep but there's a battle for web traffic out there that pushes everyone to the bottom.

Keys are, he’s saying that he’s happy at Spurs, and it isn’t his decision to talk to Madrid, it would be Levy’s. And clearly Levy isn’t going to let him go.

He then says ‘it may be impossible for you to turn them down but not for me’. If that’s a genuine quote, I think it’s as clear as you can get that he isn’t going.

Also for an insight into how Levy thinks about giving quotes for rumours, he has talked today aboit Sarri. Someone asked him if he’d go for Sarri if Poch went. He says he didn’t want to release statements of either confirmation or denial. That’s how these guys work. They don’t take a position based on a rumour or speculation. It’s exactly the same as Poch is doing with this. He’s complimentary and respectful to Madrid but he clearly isn’t going anywhere. We can all relax.

Keys are, he’s saying that he’s happy at Spurs, and it isn’t his decision to talk to Madrid, it would be Levy’s. And clearly Levy isn’t going to let him go.

He then says ‘it may be impossible for you to turn them down but not for me’. If that’s a genuine quote, I think it’s as clear as you can get that he isn’t going.

Also for an insight into how Levy thinks about giving quotes for rumours, he has talked today aboit Sarri. Someone asked him if he’d go for Sarri if Poch went. He says he didn’t want to release statements of either confirmation or denial. That’s how these guys work. They don’t take a position based on a rumour or speculation. It’s exactly the same as Poch is doing with this. He’s Thanks complimentary and respectful to Madrid but he clearly isn’t going anywhere. We can all relax.
Thanks Brain, I am much more reassured now. I look forward to seeing Poch sit on his new seat in the new stadium (via a few at Wembley) for the 2019 season!

Just for kicks if he did go...not that I think he will...his replacement for me would have to be Mr Chris Houghton.

A class act manager with an obvious pull towards us and history with our club.

I think to all the people saying 'you just don't turn it down', 'he'd be mad not to go' etc, this story from Graham Hunter is quite interesting: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...good-news-for-ronaldo-bale-future-at-bernabeu

In much a similar way, people were saying 'Why would Zidane leave? He's just won the CL 3 times!' which is precisely why he would leave then. To truly exceptional people, timing is everything. Because they know how to evaluate the environments that will be conducive to their success. Zidane saw that it wasn't going to be a great environment for him next year, and got out when the going is good. Similarly I think Poch can see it's not going to be a great environment for him, at least not now, and he also appreciates what he has with Spurs.

It is never about having to go, just because. Not for really exceptional people. To go to the bigger job just because someone asks you is because you are worried it may never come again. If you're worried it may never come again, it probably means that you aren't as confident in your own ability or that you don't know how to create the right environment for your success. And those people are the ones that overshoot themselves before falling back a level below where they were even before, needing to build themselves back up again.

And this idea that it's a job you don't turn down, and if any one of us were offered treble our salary would take it, doesn't actually compare that nicely. There's almost nothing quite like having a club built on your image. And being the man. And many managers won't ever know what that's like. But a few special ones will do.

I can see why Bale went. Because for a player, the opportunity really might never come again, for a variety of reasons. For a Manager, if you're in an environment where you know you can be successful, the opportunity will probably come again. So many ultimately average managers have gotten a go at Real, and if Poch continues to perform well, he'll get his shot, if he wants it. But he is growing with the club, and now is not the right time for him. Get us deeper in Europe, manage a deeper squad on high wages with some bigger egos needing to be massaged, and be successful doing it, and then he'll be ready. Right now he's at the perfect place for where he is.

I think to all the people saying 'you just don't turn it down', 'he'd be mad not to go' etc, this story from Graham Hunter is quite interesting: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...good-news-for-ronaldo-bale-future-at-bernabeu

In much a similar way, people were saying 'Why would Zidane leave? He's just won the CL 3 times!' which is precisely why he would leave then. To truly exceptional people, timing is everything. Because they know how to evaluate the environments that will be conducive to their success. Zidane saw that it wasn't going to be a great environment for him next year, and got out when the going is good. Similarly I think Poch can see it's not going to be a great environment for him, at least not now, and he also appreciates what he has with Spurs.

It is never about having to go, just because. Not for really exceptional people. To go to the bigger job just because someone asks you is because you are worried it may never come again. If you're worried it may never come again, it probably means that you aren't as confident in your own ability or that you don't know how to create the right environment for your success. And those people are the ones that overshoot themselves before falling back a level below where they were even before, needing to build themselves back up again.

And this idea that it's a job you don't turn down, and if any one of us were offered treble our salary would take it, doesn't actually compare that nicely. There's almost nothing quite like having a club built on your image. And being the man. And many managers won't ever know what that's like. But a few special ones will do.

I can see why Bale went. Because for a player, the opportunity really might never come again, for a variety of reasons. For a Manager, if you're in an environment where you know you can be successful, the opportunity will probably come again. So many ultimately average managers have gotten a go at Real, and if Poch continues to perform well, he'll get his shot, if he wants it. But he is growing with the club, and now is not the right time for him. Get us deeper in Europe, manage a deeper squad on high wages with some bigger egos needing to be massaged, and be successful doing it, and then he'll be ready. Right now he's at the perfect place for where he is.
You have Levy in your name? You sure you’re not actually him? Just make sure you get some good dollar for him and find a decent replacement and quick!

For me, the most compelling reason that he won't be going to RM right now is that any manager there is on a hiding to nothing. To just stand still, he needs to win the Champions League . That's a pretty tough ask. The team is ageing and some players probably agitating behind the scenes. It has a curious parallel with when SAF left United. The next manager, whoever it is , is almost certainly guaranteed to be deemed a failure. I doubt Poch wants that. Relax peeps, he is staying put.

I think that’s a very good analysis. Given the alacrity with which managers change clubs these days, it is hard to imagine that another opportunity at Real will not present itself to Poch at some point in the future. If indeed managing Real will still be a job to aspire to. Who knows what might happen and how the power base might shift.

You’re joking right? Real Madrid is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to manage. If Poch somehow resists he won’t be asked again. They’ll move onto someone else and then someone else in a few years when they sack that guy.

I think we need to see it like this. We poached Poch from Southampton. Spurs are much bigger than Southampton.

Real poach Poch from Spurs. Real are much bigger than Spurs. Pretty much the same gulf difference.

You’re joking right? Real Madrid is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to manage. If Poch somehow resists he won’t be asked again. They’ll move onto someone else and then someone else in a few years when they sack that guy.

I think we need to see it like this. We poached Poch from Southampton. Spurs are much bigger than Southampton.

Real poach Poch from Spurs. Real are much bigger than Spurs. Exactly the same gulf difference.

I don’t think it’s the case that he automatically won’t be asked again, but IF Poch is offered the job then it’s a call he has to make.
He’s young and relatively inexperienced in managerial terms. IF offered the role and he declines it, then I don’t see that precluding him from being asked in the future (as long as his manner of declining is suitably professional, which I am sure it would be). Especially if he’s winning trophies with us and proving his worth/aptitude.
I wasn’t aware Real Madrid had a ‘turn us down and you’re dead to us’ policy. I don’t think they’d be that short sighted.
Which all means of course Poch declining now doesn’t stop the rumours in seasons to come. :(

Real poach Poch from Spurs. Real are much bigger than Spurs. Pretty much the same gulf difference.

Depends on what Poch - if he wants to build something, and earn his £170k per week, then he stays at Spurs.

Moving to Real, you know what you get. Some massive transfers but likely gone in 1-2 years (the last manager to last 4 years or more left in 1974: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Real_Madrid_C.F._managers). Is that what he wants? From the interview today, it doesnt sound like its what he wants today. Perhaps in 10 years time

Real poach Poch from Spurs. Real are much bigger than Spurs.

They will ask again as long as Poch keeps Spurs challenging/in the top 4

They asked Wenger numerous times during his Arse years and he kept turning them down

Plus there are not many names in the future they can turn to. It's a dwindling pool of talent

Back