• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yoga, anyone do it?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
I have buggered my back yet again, we moved house last year and the new garden is a mess and taking so much work, I have buggered my back up. It is weird as I am quite strong and can be bent over cycling for hours and not hurt it. Maybe it is years of labouring building work but I can barely shovel brick now.

Any how people keep mentioning yoga to me as something that strengthens a persons back, anyone do it? I dont want to go some where where it is all dolly birds and young mums. I want to go and be with other men(fudge off before you saying anything)

Slightly worried about the whole farting thing because even bending down to pick up my shoes I let rip. The is a place in Worthing called Just Yoga I have been recommended but it seems a bit spiritual and I just want something to improve my sodding back.

Any sensible advice appreciated ladies.

I started recently, but decided against joining a class and youtubed a few lessons instead. There are loads on there that talk you through beginners moves. It's very relaxing, and I feel generally healthier all round, more alert especially. I don't know about helping your back, but you may be able to find specific exercises for that if you search for them

Yoga and pilates........the saviour of us non-bendy, getting on a bit types who slightly abused ourselves during our 20's and 30's. It will bring you back from the brink and make you feel 'upright' 'straight' and importantly help protect you against annoying injuries that occur randomly without warning.

Yoga - good for flexibility and alignment and the mind. Indulge in a bit of mindfulness as part of your routine.

Pilates - good for flexibility and posture and focuses specifically on the core muscles that are so often neglected (especially from sitting too much) but are vital for most movements we make everyday.

Plus all your cycling will shorten your hamstrings (esp the lower part) which in turn can have an impact on your lower back.

I did until an old lady did a massive fart in front of me and me and my pal laughed so much the instructor barred us

Yoga and pilates........the saviour of us non-bendy, getting on a bit types who slightly abused ourselves during our 20's and 30's. It will bring you back from the brink and make you feel 'upright' 'straight' and importantly help protect you against annoying injuries that occur randomly without warning.

Yoga - good for flexibility and alignment and the mind. Indulge in a bit of mindfulness as part of your routine.

Pilates - good for flexibility and posture and focuses specifically on the core muscles that are so often neglected (especially from sitting too much) but are vital for most movements we make everyday.

Plus all your cycling will shorten your hamstrings (esp the lower part) which in turn can have an impact on your lower back.
Cheers for that pal, funny enough about the hamstrings, for the past week when I get out of bed I can not walk properly for about 10 minutes I am limping because my Achilles heel hurts so much.

Went for massage and she worked on the hamstring and now it is a lot better, she gave me some exercises where I lean on bottom of stairs and raise my foot up and down to strengthen my hamstring.

It's very helpful. You will learn amazing habits which, if applied, will help you for life mate...hot room stuff is really good but be warned, you don't want to overdo it...

I started recently, but decided against joining a class and youtubed a few lessons instead. There are loads on there that talk you through beginners moves. It's very relaxing, and I feel generally healthier all round, more alert especially. I don't know about helping your back, but you may be able to find specific exercises for that if you search for them

I've done some home versions too. Thought about joining classes, but have to say I felt a bit scared I would be completely out of place due to a lack of flexibility. Doing it at home seemed a lot less daunting, I think it's a decent place to start and get the basics at least. Fairly quick and easy to find time for too as it doesn't take up the time of actually going to the gym/studio, traffic and all that.

Also no fear of farting on/being farted on... :)

------------------

No expert at all, but I imagine yoga is good for the kind of stuff you're describing jgl. As long as you're careful and don't do anything that outright hurts it would seem worth trying at least. From what I know preventing back pain isn't only about strengthening your back, but also strengthening your core/stomach and improving posture.

Cycling always struck me as something that looked like it would cause back pains eventually, just seems so static on the back. I think making sure to move around a bit is also important. No idea about your life jgl, but a lot of people spend too much time just sitting around in the same position all day. I've even heard someone saying that just drinking more water helps as having to get up and go take a tinkle more often at least gets you up and standing more frequently. Might also work with beer... Hm...

We all can become a little more sedentary as the years pass:).

As Steff says keep well within your limits with yoga. Small improvements if you stick at it. There are far too many injuries CAUSED by yoga where people push it too much or go all a bit extreme.

And we all know you're (Chich) a bit prone to a meltdown or getting a bit angsty from time to time:);)......so yoga is bang on for some time to think, clear the mind and live in the moment. BUT as i said, like nutrition, exercise etc when you get to middle age it is imperative to stick at it to make a difference. Try and make it part of your routine. Engrain it.

The heel raises are good for stretching and strengthening the calf and in turn loosening the achilles. Start with both feet and as you improve start doing single foot. And perhaps look at a foam roller to give all your leg muscles a 'poor mans' massage.

I have buggered my back yet again, we moved house last year and the new garden is a mess and taking so much work, I have buggered my back up. It is weird as I am quite strong and can be bent over cycling for hours and not hurt it. Maybe it is years of labouring building work but I can barely shovel crud now.

Any how people keep mentioning yoga to me as something that strengthens a persons back, anyone do it? I dont want to go some where where it is all dolly birds and young mums. I want to go and be with other men(fudge off before you saying anything)

Slightly worried about the whole farting thing because even bending down to pick up my shoes I let rip. The is a place in Worthing called Just Yoga I have been recommended but it seems a bit spiritual and I just want something to improve my sodding back.

Any sensible advice appreciated ladies.

Any recommended YouTube channels for this?

As above, I don't mind finding a class but round my way they're all geared to OAPs during the day or hippies in the early evening - and all that vegetarian, sandal-wearing stuff isn't what I'm looking for - and it can't help the farting thing...

We all can become a little more sedentary as the years pass:).

As Steff says keep well within your limits with yoga. Small improvements if you stick at it. There are far too many injuries CAUSED by yoga where people push it too much or go all a bit extreme.

And we all know you're (Chich) a bit prone to a meltdown or getting a bit angsty from time to time:);)......so yoga is bang on for some time to think, clear the mind and live in the moment. BUT as i said, like nutrition, exercise etc when you get to middle age it is imperative to stick at it to make a difference. Try and make it part of your routine. Engrain it.

The heel raises are good for stretching and strengthening the calf and in turn loosening the achilles. Start with both feet and as you improve start doing single foot. And perhaps look at a foam roller to give all your leg muscles a 'poor mans' massage.

Your right about having meltdowns I am still prone to the odd "falling down Michael Douglas" thing, I think it could help me remain calm and lucid I like this word lucid.

I like the idea of trying to be on a bit more of an even keel, I will try some of the videos tomorrow, not sure about going to an actual class yet. I like to wear tights and leotard in the privacy of my own home.

the only blokes i know who do yoga are the ones who like to watch various lasses stretching and moving into unusual body positions, can't think why

I've been to a Physio three times in the last ten years for various issues - judo and weights took their toll - and after a six month wait, every time they just gave me a series of stretches to do which were straight out of a yoga/pilate's class. Always worked eventually.

After the last time I figured I should probably start being a bit more proactive and try and sort out my flexibility and stability before I got injured, and started warming up with yoga.

Doyogawithme.com was a great resource although fairly overwhelming with how many options there are.

The yoga sequences of those p90x series you see all over infomercials are surprisingly good - though pretty tough so I wouldn't jump straight in there.

The main one I do now is DDP yoga, not really yoga - more a hybrid of yoga, Pilate's and tai chi - and it feels very silly at first but fudge me has it helped. Been doing it almost a year now as a warm up before workouts (took a while though, at first it was exhausting by itself but Starter routines are really easy - its designed for really overweight people) and feel as healthy as I did ten years ago when I used to compete in judo tournaments, not been injured in six months and lifting more than when I started.

Seems like an utter gimmick - the names are silly, the claims with regards to building muscle and strength are way over the top and I have no idea why some of the moves are there but as far as injury prevention goes I'm sold.

DDP Yoga was founded by ex wrestler Diamond Dallas Page, its huge in the states

http://ddpyoga.com/meet-ddp.html

Oh yeah, I know who he is - part of why I tried it out. I didn't particularly like it at first, as it didn't really feel like it had enough stretching for me to believe it would do the job, and had way too many bold claims/silly moves but im glad I stuck with it as I can't deny its been effective.

Its also a lot more accessible than many yoga routines where I found that whatever lithe, flexible instructor doing it would completely lose me to the point I'd have to just stand there looking confused fairly early on. Started out easy and always has an easy option.

The 'extreme' workout is more of a bodyweight workout though, good exercise I guess if that's what you're after but as I do them as a warmup Ive stuck with the basic series lately.

Back