• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what the hell does this mean

These are human created concepts and we live in a capitalist world which makes certain certain scientists the best fictionists and sales people around?

These are human created concepts and we live in a capitalist world which makes certain certain scientists the best fictionists and sales people around?

If anyone got into theoretical physics for the money they would not be smart enough to get into theoretical physics.

People like these are not driven primarily by market forces.

the moral of the story is not to "read" the daily mail

Certainly don't use it as a source for your science information.

--------------------------------

It's one hypothesis, one of a whole host of speculative somewhat outlandish and probably false hypothesis. But it probably has a academic use as a source for inspiration, questions and research. And at the end of the day it's probably no more outlandish than other theories that have been proven correct - like the earth being spherical.

At this point though it doesn't "mean" anything. Unless you're planning on spending the better part of a decade on becoming a theoretical physicist.

If anyone got into theoretical physics for the money they would not be smart enough to get into theoretical physics.

People like these are not driven primarily by market forces.

Certainly don't use it as a source for your science information.

--------------------------------

It's one hypothesis, one of a whole host of speculative somewhat outlandish and probably false hypothesis. But it probably has a academic use as a source for inspiration, questions and research. And at the end of the day it's probably no more outlandish than other theories that have been proven correct - like the earth being spherical.

At this point though it doesn't "mean" anything. Unless you're planning on spending the better part of a decade on becoming a theoretical physicist.

My point exactly!

I didn't say anyone got into theoretical science for the money.
But the payment of wages and extension of contracts still needs justifying - it would be naive to think that some scientific research is not tabled just to ensure a continuation of funding.
I'm not saying that is a bad - and indeed my post was meant tongue in cheek - as many experiments can discover all kinds of new and wonderful things.

My point exactly!

I didn't say anyone got into theoretical science for the money.
But the payment of wages and extension of contracts still needs justifying - it would be naive to think that some scientific research is not tabled just to ensure a continuation of funding.
I'm not saying that is a bad - and indeed my post was meant tongue in cheek - as many experiments can discover all kinds of new and wonderful things.

Sure. In general though hypothetical models like these are not exactly going to bring in the money I think.

Sure. In general though hypothetical models like these are not exactly going to bring in the money I think.

I think you may have missed the point - university based scientists/post docs often have contracts for a period of time of have to bid for contract renewals so funding can be justified.
I wasn't talking about generating income, I was talking about scientists justifying their salaries!

We're in a hologram in a hologram in a hologram. It's like inception but of course with holograms rather than dreams.

I think you may have missed the point - university based scientists/post docs often have contracts for a period of time of have to bid for contract renewals so funding can be justified.
I wasn't talking about generating income, I was talking about scientists justifying their salaries!

Sure. But coming up with outlandish hypothesis is, if anything, a small part of that justification. And it can be detrimental if the hypothesis are too outlandish as they'll get torn apart in a peer review process, or potentially not get published at all. The point here is that this model is now shown to at least be potentially aligned with actual evidence, that's not fiction or sales.

My research this week has shown me that there is a LOT that we don't know about the World. Colours, protons, light, human consciousness, memory capacity...all areas in which either science fails to provide an appropriate answer or that aren't as we perceive them to be.

Back