• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spurs Pantheon: Heroes and Villains, Gods and Demons.

jts1882

Dean Richards
The Best Signing of the Decade thread got me thinking. Arguments were made for how important Carrick, Jol and Levy were for our recent rise. It made me think back to the damage Scholar did to the club and how hard the road back to respectability has been.

So who are the heroes and villains, gods and demons in our history? It's easy to pick favourite players (Hoddle) or hated players (Campbell), but there are also less heralded players who had an important role in the changes in our fortunes. Then there are the men behind the scenes, the one's who get the accolades (Nicholson) and the one's who are less widely heralded (Rowe). And then there are wow events like the signing of Ardiles and Villa.

Bill Nicholson, our Zeus, the King of the Gods.

Arthur Rowe, our Prometheus, an earlier GHod who created the modern Spurs.

Sir Henry Norris, our Hades, who created the underworld.

Irving Scholar, the man who sold our soul. I was going to name him as our Satan, but perhaps Faust is better.

I was going to say that Campbell was our "Judas", but even Judas tried to give his 30 pieces of silver back! So, I guess that makes Campbell our Satan, or our Ephialtes of Trachis (you know, that chap who betrayed the Spartans to the Persians at the Battle of Thermopylae)?

Bale is Hermes. He is the fastest of the gods. He wears winged sandals, a winged hat, and carries a magic wand.

Hate to be pedantic, but never mind mixing our metaphors, we're mixing our mythologies here! Roman, Greek, Norse, German, Biblical!

:lol:

Back