• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The most interesting football negotiation

BrainOfLevy

Michael Carrick
Hi guys,

Similar to Cal's thread on football ticket prices I myself am doing a final year university piece of work on football. The module itself is International Negotiations and I can pick a case to use as an example to apply the relevant theories etc to it.

So I was wondering, do any really interesting negotiations within football spring to mind that you think would provide a fair bit of information and data on how they were conducted? Obviously I don't need to know every detail, but it would be good to have some quotes from the various parties involved that would be accessible in newspapers etc.

I decided to relate this piece of work to Spurs because of Daniel Levy, as obviously he has a very distinctive negotiating style. And therefore I was thinking - since it has to be an international negotiation and not a domestic one - that the transfers of Modric or Lloris could be useful to look into. Aulas gave some quotes about how Levy conducted themselves so there should be a good bit of data there.

But is there any other negotiations that people find interesting that come to mind? Would really appreciate it if any come up - and this thread can then develop into a nice discussion of the best negotiations that have happened within football. :)

Thanks guys!

I would have thought the negotiations of the Ardiles/Villa transfer would have been interesting. Or how the Le Tissier transfer fell through

I know you said maybe international and not domestic, but maybe the negotiations for the Zeki Fryers deal could be an interesting one to look at..plenty has been written about that. Can imagine will be quite hard to find many specific details, and even still a lot of actual numbers are withheld.

Also good luck, can imagine your just as stressed as myself at the moment with dissertation work

Hugo Lloris springs to mind of a recent one that was a bit juicy

You should be able to find a bit on Rvn, Mikel, Robben which are a few others that spring to mind that had a bit of a story to them.

The Tevez and Mascherano transfer to West Ham?

Arsenal signing that Barca youngster a year or two ago caused a bit of a stir.

what about some high profile deals involving third party ownership - like Tevez and West Ham and then the fall out negotiations between the FA, Sheffield United and West Ham.

A lot of these would be fascinating to know more about. However, can you write a university project based on press speculation? AE's suggestion might be the only one with enough information in the public domain, but even there we don't know where the bodies are buried.

How about a case study on Levy's brinkmanship? While it is a lot of heresay from the press, over the years there's enough examples to make a real point or two. Beyond player transfers, there are the numerous and controversial management appointments. Also the strict wage structure he's maintained is admirable, plus the good natured characters seems to be a requirement too. I do believe we're consistently at the top of the fair play league (until this season with the controversial yellow cards for bale).

What about the negotiations between Levy and Sevilla for Juande Ramos, that was a difficult one for everyone involved.

Back