• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer work

Cal_Yido

Matthew Etherington
Right, so im in my 2nd year of university studying a sport degree with a business module attatched. I have desperatley applied for internships, or even unpaid work experience at roughly 30-40 different places in sports management/sports marketing/sports agencies and have been left so so frustrated with literally only getting two replies, both saying no, but at least they replied!

I suppose what im looking for is for any advice from anyone that's maybe been in a similar position? It is so frustrating. I feel like if i miss out on getting some work experience this summer, then im going to be left up brick creek without a paddle come graduation next summer!

Have you tried going to the places as opposed to emailing them? (my bad if you have, I assumed from your post)

It can be pretty easy for places to delete an email without much thought but if your their in person it shows you're committed to the idea of helping out

Grammar Nazi bait found in this post

Have you tried going to the places as opposed to emailing them? (my bad if you have, I assumed from your post)

It can be pretty easy for places to delete an email without much thought but if your their in person it shows you're committed to the idea of helping out

Grammar Nazi bait found in this post

No I haven't had a chance as my Uni is pretty far from where I actually live. I will definitely head into town when I'm back for Easter and see what I can do. I thought the fact that I am offering to help even as a freebie, purely for experience that might boost my chances of getting offered something.

No I haven't had a chance as my Uni is pretty far from where I actually live. I will definitely head into town when I'm back for Easter and see what I can do. I thought the fact that I am offering to help even as a freebie, purely for experience that might boost my chances of getting offered something.

Problem is in your field (and mine) there are plenty of people willing to get a foot in the door by working for free, it's just a case of making good contact, are you sending a cv alongside your application?

In my experience it seems to be the people who have a mate that works somewhere or a distant relative somewhere in the company which gets them the opportunity.

I know what you mean about it being nice to at least hear a no thanks, but the only option is to keep on trying, but without becoming overly eager...Have you had a word with your lecturers? Some of them might have acquantances (how the fudge do you spell that) who may need people, they could give you a good reference and get you something along the lines of your work

Right, so im in my 2nd year of university studying a sport degree with a business module attatched. I have desperatley applied for internships, or even unpaid work experience at roughly 30-40 different places in sports management/sports marketing/sports agencies and have been left so so frustrated with literally only getting two replies, both saying no, but at least they replied!

I suppose what im looking for is for any advice from anyone that's maybe been in a similar position? It is so frustrating. I feel like if i miss out on getting some work experience this summer, then im going to be left up brick creek without a paddle come graduation next summer!

What type of organisations are you applying to, and what are you hoping to do with your degree after graduation?

What type of organisations are you applying to, and what are you hoping to do with your degree after graduation?

Well im not 100% set in stone what I want to do after my degree. I am hoping to get into business side of sport. Companies I've applied to have been sports marketing companies, sports sponsorship companies, and a few agents dealing with sportsman and woman. Some company names, Octagon, Pitch, Sport+Market, as well as a lot of smaller places.

Thinking as no one is really applying, I may have to look at a different option to try and get work in for this summer

I was/am in a similar position. I completed my undergrad and postgrad in town planning and found it impossible to find a job in town planning in the current climate. I phoned the local planning companies, practices and local councils with no luck. I then changed my approach and went back to the local councils, knowing that they are short on resources, and explained what i could do for them - that i didnt mind doing 'menial tasks' as any experience is good experience. As a result i got a day a week unpaid work experience at Gosport Council and have been doing it for 4 months with an interview with them for a permanent position with them on friday.

My advice would be to undertake a voluntary work placement saying what you can offer, general admin duties etc... once you are in then you can ask to do other roles. i suspect one of the obstacles with the line of work you want (like mine) is the access you will have to potentially sensitive data as you could be anybody so provide references to your uni staff/teachers that a potential company can check who you are.

Well im not 100% set in stone what I want to do after my degree. I am hoping to get into business side of sport. Companies I've applied to have been sports marketing companies, sports sponsorship companies, and a few agents dealing with sportsman and woman. Some company names, Octagon, Pitch, Sport+Market, as well as a lot of smaller places.

Thinking as no one is really applying, I may have to look at a different option to try and get work in for this summer

I did a Sports Degree with Business Studies a few years ago and had the same troubles, spent about a year trying to get a foot in the door through graduate and admin positions but gave up in the end.. I now work for a Pharmaceutical company! :|

That prob doesn't help you much though hey? Stick with it!

Back