• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Matches on Christmas Day 1896 to 1958

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
P0387_zps96bd3401.png

Don't understand what you mean. Why only until 1958 ? What does that supposed to mean ?:-k

It means that Spurs haven't played a football game on Christmas Day (December 25th) since 1958.

We used to play both on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, but now it's only on 26th December.

Last edited:
It means that Spurs haven't played a football game on Christmas Day (December 25th) since 1958.

We used to play both on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, but now it's only on 26th December.

Ok now, I get it. Thanks for the info. But isn't it a bit cruel asking players to play on a festival day ? Even now, the non-British players are complaining about having to play on Dec 26th.

Ok now, I get it. Thanks for the info. But isn't it a bit cruel asking players to play on a festival day ? Even now, the non-British players are complaining about having to play on Dec 26th.

I don't think there was enough time to recover properly when two games were played within 24 hours, especially in view of the traveling involved.

But some decent crowds used to turn up for these Christmas Day matches - 47,000 saw Spurs beat Woolwich Arsenal at the Lane in 1911.

And just for the record, Bobby Smith was the last Spurs player to score a Christmas Day goal in the 2-1 defeat to West Ham in 1958.

Back