• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

retraining as a web developer - any advice

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
Hi guys

I am currently in IT support, I posted a thread a month or so ago about my company offering to send me on a training course and how I didn't trust the company to follow through on that promise, well as I suspected the training has been forgotten, despite me chasing numerous times. This has made me decide that I want out.

I'm thinking of changing from IT support to Web Development, I know HTML and CSS fairly well so that's not too much of an issue but I was just wondering if there are any developers out there that can offer some advice on what I should do next, I've heard a lot of people saying that you need a Computer Science degree, which I don't have and at 32 don't really have the time/inclination to get.

I was planning on starting a video course from Lynda.com about PHP and MySQL and then I was going to build something using the new skills to show to potential employers what I can do.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan of action? Any advice on other ways to do it if not?

Have you tried turning it off, and back on again?

No, seriously mate, don't use your age as an excuse. Do it while you can. Before you know it, you'll be 50 :)oops: ) and that really is too bloody late.
Hope you get some good answers on here.

I'd say 2/3s of web developers are self taught so dont worry about a degree.

I'm no developer but learn all you can and get a portfolio going to show prospective employers would be your best bet.

There are dozens of awful websites out there of small companies etc, contact a few of them and say I'll do you a website for free if you use it and I doubt many are going to say no

Back