• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in England, I might have been wrong

this is going backwards now unfortunately. Racism is actually rising in this country unfortunately, culture wars is a big thing and social media algorithms has lead racists to believe that views are not just acceptable but prevalent… thus making the expression of which more prevalent.

Just a couple of weeks ago I got called a paki completely unprovoked whilst waiting at a pedestrian crossing. I’ve experienced more first-hand racism in the UK in the last 5 years than I have for a very long time in this country. Since I was a turban-wearing kid in fact.

Social media has given closet racists (and misogynists/homophobes etc) a platform to share their views to a much larger willing audience with a measure of impunity and anonymity. This has galvanised them to be more open outside the confines of the internet. I bear no malice to anyone that voted for Brexit for legitimate reasons but the resulting fall-out has absolutely festered into more open racism as a contributing factor. The same in 2016 onwards with the Trump era beginning across the pond. Ultimately all racists are cowards when you stand up to them. But the pack mentality that was created online in large numbers has a huge role to play in what is happening on the streets now and the rise of the far right again (not just in the UK). Racists in this country are no longer closeted or that stupid taco in the corner of the pub that ends up on the floor, as had been the case from the 90’s onwards for the most part.

I respectfully disagree. Something like 10% of people on twitter are responsible for 95% of tweets. Social media isn’t real life and it skews reality. Culture wars isn’t necessarily always about race and it’s often a battle between the far right and the far left with most sane people in the middle staying out of it. It’s still around but I wouldn’t say things are worse.

I think you miss the point, or don’t understand how the social media algorithms work.

Here is a simplified break down:

Dave the racist-curious likes posts from Racist Ron therefore the algorithm shows him more posts from other racists, crucially stuff that Racist Ron likes. It floods his feed, he thinks racist thoughts are actually not racist but what most people think and the MSM are actually trying to curtail people’s freedom of speach, so when he see a post from Liberal Liam quoting the guardian (only one of Ten he will see, because… you know the algorithm) he will dismiss it as MSM covering up what people think.

therefore racist-curious Dave starts believing in full blown racist ideologies.

cultural wars is much more complicated then far right and far left… if only it was between them two I would be happy to keep themselves occupied and out of our lives. Unfortunately the Archetects of Culture wars have a much bigger prize in mind

Last edited:
Just a couple of weeks ago I got called a paki completely unprovoked whilst waiting at a pedestrian crossing. I’ve experienced more first-hand racism in the UK in the last 5 years than I have for a very long time in this country. Since I was a turban-wearing kid in fact.

Social media has given closet racists (and misogynists/homophobes etc) a platform to share their views to a much larger willing audience with a measure of impunity and anonymity. This has galvanised them to be more open outside the confines of the internet. I bear no malice to anyone that voted for Brexit for legitimate reasons but the resulting fall-out has absolutely festered into more open racism as a contributing factor. The same in 2016 onwards with the Trump era beginning across the pond. Ultimately all racists are cowards when you stand up to them. But the pack mentality that was created online in large numbers has a huge role to play in what is happening on the streets now and the rise of the far right again (not just in the UK). Racists in this country are no longer closeted or that stupid taco in the corner of the pub that ends up on the floor, as had been the case from the 90’s onwards for the most part.

I’m sorry that happened to you brother. The thing is, it’s growing and will get worse unfortunately, unless something fundamental changes.

Im actually worried where it’s going, so much so I’m not sure if I see my self in this country in Ten years, and that’s something I never though I would say.

Sorry it happens to you, backs up my thoughts it's getting worse. I grew up in London in late 70s and 80s and I feel it was better then.

I’m sorry that happened to you brother. The thing is, it’s growing and will get worse unfortunately, unless something fundamental changes.

Im actually worried where it’s going, so much so I’m not sure if I see my self in this country in Ten years, and that’s something I never though I would say.

I feel media and politicians are trying to manipulate us.

Thanks dude. I’m not a violent or particularly intimidating person but the gentleman in question ended up on his arse after a bit of shaming.

I’m a born and bred Londoner but have been fortunate enough to live on a couple of different continents. We’re already planning our exit strategy from the UK once my son is a bit older. I’m not willing to bring him up here as it stands.

Sorry it happens to you, backs up my thoughts it's getting worse. I grew up in London in late 70s and 80s and I feel it was better then.

Same mate, from the 80’s onwards. It wasn’t great back then but I felt there was quite an upturn in tolerance and more understanding from the 90’s onwards. I love London, it’s always been a bastion of everything I believe a major city should be, and I hold it up to a much higher standard than anywhere else. So it’s really sad to see its decline in a myriad of ways. I would say I actually hold the UK as a whole up to a higher standard. I used to be immensely proud to say I have Indian heritage but I’m British. I truly thought we were the greatest country on earth. I miss that feeling.

Same mate, from the 80’s onwards. It wasn’t great back then but I felt there was quite an upturn in tolerance and more understanding from the 90’s onwards. I love London, it’s always been a bastion of everything I believe a major city should be, and I hold it up to a much higher standard than anywhere else. So it’s really sad to see its decline in a myriad of ways. I would say I actually hold the UK as a whole up to a higher standard. I used to be immensely proud to say I have Indian heritage but I’m British. I truly thought we were the greatest country on earth. I miss that feeling.

I don't actually think the universities are helping with tolerance. Doubt many racists go to university but it helps feed into this intolerant society and feeds the culture wars. This phrase I hear a lot "your truth" no the is the truth, that is all.

Sorry that’s happened to you. Although I do feel society evolves and improves over generations, I do agree racists are more empowered to be open about it.

Sorry that’s happened to you. Although I do feel society evolves and improves over generations, I do agree racists are more empowered to be open about it.

Thank you and I agree with you. One thing I’m most proud of for the UK (and grateful for as an ethnic minority) is its progression and inclusivity. Freedom of expression and choice, tolerance and acceptance used to be a fabric of our society and hopefully will always be.

Reactions: DTA

Mate, thats sh1t

You never know till you walk in someones shoes, never a truer saying.

this is going backwards now unfortunately. Racism is actually rising in this country unfortunately, culture wars is a big thing and social media algorithms has lead racists to believe that views are not just acceptable but prevalent… thus making the expression of which more prevalent.

I think it trends in two areas though

I would say confidently (but again bear in mind I can only talk from own experiences) that as a society we are less racist and less tolerant of racism and bigotry, there are less places for it to exist in the real world, despite work still needed to be done. HOWEVER as individuals we have a bigger problem because of the ability, fuelled by social media for people who don't want to be part of that society to thrive.

Back