• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New ideas

Once the starting XI is settled, we'll have a clearer idea of what AVBs intentions are, and whether or not he's able to adapt his philosophy to suit the players if they aren't clicking. I don't think it's going to get much prettier before the end of this month.

The question for me is; did AVB inherit the Porto side, or did he buy Falcao, Moutinho and Hulk ?

He bought Mouthinho a month after getting the job and inherited the other two...

OK, so he came up with a system to suit what he had, and added a component. Hopefully he will be adapting to suit the hand he's been dealt. At least you can say that he can identify a missing component. He'll have to make do until January now thoughc which is annoying. I firmly believe he's nowhere near his proper starting lineup yet.

It wasn't his first year at porto though..

He already would have known the club pretty well after taking the assistant manager job there under Jose..

So he did it like Laudrup and Guardiola then, i.e. fine tuning a formula set up by someone else ?

It really depends on how good the manager is.

We saw on Saturday how long it takes. Norwich, new manager, new players, new system, already coming together nicely.

Would be interesting to find out from someone who knows Porto whether he changed their style much. I was under the impression from their Europa games that they were a very dynamic side but didn't see much of them. I don't remember Porto under Jose at all other than the diving and timewasting. When Jose first went to Chelsea, and Duff and Robben were both fit, they played that lone striker/two wingers style very well, so a similar philosophy I guess.

It really depends on how good the manager is.

We saw on Saturday how long it takes. Norwich, new manager, new players, new system, already coming together nicely.

I think the issue may be that AVB is trying to implement a very continental style - at the very least one that is really different to the one Harry used. So regardless, there will always be this transition. Unless he went to Swansea, Arsenal, maybe even Wigan. Most other clubs are used to playing a more British way, where as his ideas on the continent were taken aboard quickly because the continental style is ingrained in a lot of those players. Similarly whatever system Hughton has Norwich playing is still going to be a British variant and won't be drastically different, AVB's seems to be a totally different way of working.

But he seemingly thinks he must be able to implement it pretty quickly. He wouldn't have accepted the job otherwise and mentioned top 4 and trophies in his initial interviews. He's set his own targets. I'd be happy with top 6, maybe even top 8 if it looked like we really clicked towards the end of the season. Next season I would want a real top 4 challenge though, there would be no excuses by that point.

It wasn't his first year at porto though..

He already would have known the club pretty well after taking the assistant manager job there under Jose..

was he assistant manager though??? or simply part of the coaching team like at chelsea where he simply composed scouting reports

So he did it like Laudrup and Guardiola then, i.e. fine tuning a formula set up by someone else ?

Judging by his consequent efforts at Chelsea and with us its more likely they were in line with how he wanted to play already, as in each other situation he has tried to re produce it.

Even there though there were comments from him about the crowd having to accept things like passing back to the keeper as how they would play...

So the test will be whether he get the players to work with the system, and if it's not working, is he flexible enough to adapt it.

Under Santini we played with Mendes and Davis as our CMs,

Sighs, aah Mendes! One of the few players I would admit to having had a man-crush on. Loved the way he kicked the ball with the outside of his boot. Loved the fact back then that we had some quality players after years in the wilderness...hopefully one or two of the new players will show some flair and panache once they get settled in.

Back