• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Contract System

elltrev

Andy Sinton
With all this talk about players not respecting the contracts that they signed, it got me wondering if there's not a better system out there that could alleviate these sorts of problems...

For me the, part of the problem (somewhat counter-intuitively) is the bosman ruling. The fact that a player can leave for free once his contract runs out, as well as the subsequent fact that a player's transfer value decreases as his contract gets closer to running out, means clubs are constantly pushing for higher contract lengths with their players. Now some people might say that players shouldn't sign long contracts if they don't intend to stick to them, but if they didn't it would be the clubs that suffered with shorter-term contracts and a greater likelihood that their players would eventually leave for free.

What about if instead of players going for free when their contract runs out, there was effectively an auction in which he goes to the highest bidder? And the team that he had just been playing for had no option to reject the transfer; they would just be given the money that the highest team bidded?

This way the clubs wouldn't have to emphasise long contracts so much, because they know they'd still get a decent fee when the contract ran out. And players would know that they had a guaranteed 'escape' in the relatively near future if they wanted to move to another team, and so wouldn't have to kick up a fuss to force a move.

*Prepares for his argument to be ripped apart*

Either that or a fee is set by tribunal as with is already the case with players under a certain age, would make things interesting.

Free transfers often aren't that cheap as without a transfer fee a player will always demand a ridiculous signing on fee and inflated weekly wage.

What happens if the player only wants to sign for one particular club - they know this so have no incentive to out bid any other team that comes in ? perhaps if you want to sign an out of contract player you should pay a fixed fee relating to their total wage of previous contract - 4 years X 50k pw for example.

Last edited:
What about contracts lengths being legally binding with either side having to pay up the remaining term on the contract if they want to terminate it early. Players that out of contract are free agents. Players that were developed by the club have a fee set by tribunal even if they are out of contract.

To stop the big clubs hoovering up all of the promising talent I would suggest two further rule changes.

Players on loan have to have their wages paid in full by the club that they are loaned to.

And every player in the 25 man squad has to play a set number of games (or minutes) a season - points deduction for non-compliance.

What about contracts lengths being legally binding with either side having to pay up the remaining term on the contract if they want to terminate it early. Players that out of contract are free agents. Players that were developed by the club have a fee set by tribunal even if they are out of contract.

To stop the big clubs hoovering up all of the promising talent I would suggest two further rule changes.

Players on loan have to have their wages paid in full by the club that they are loaned to.

And every player in the 25 man squad has to play a set number of games (or minutes) a season - points deduction for non-compliance.

Crazy brick there

- Would kill any chance a player has to get playing time at smaller club, both killing their development and any chance of smaller clubs having the benefit of a name player even if only for a season.

- Having everyone in the 25 play would only benefit teams like City/Cheat$ki, can you imagine wigan's bottom 5 players having to get even 3 full games?

Crazy brick there

- Would kill any chance a player has to get playing time at smaller club, both killing their development and any chance of smaller clubs having the benefit of a name player even if only for a season.

It would be easy enough having an exemption for players aged 21 or under who had spent more than three years at their host club.

What happens if the player only wants to sign for one particular club - they know this so have no incentive to out bid any other team that comes in ? perhaps if you want to sign an out of contract player you should pay a fixed fee relating to their total wage of previous contract - 4 years X 50k pw for example.

Good point. I did originally think about the tribunal / set fee thing, but struggled to think exactly how it could be worked out in a consistent and fair way. If it could, that would be the way forward methinks. Difficult though.

maybe going off the topic a little here but i think there should be a standardized wage system in the premier league where the basic wage for all players named in the 25 man squad is the same across the board - you then get 'add-ons' from there for things like :

starting XI
used sub
un used sub
MoM
participating in a winning match/draw

and then at the end of the season you get a bonus based on where your team finishes in the league combined with how much of a part you played over the season - minutes played basically. players at clubs in European competitions will also get added bonuses for that

that way there is still the financial reward from playing at a top team but there is also an added incentive to play for a lower club rather than just to sit on the bench (or less) at the likes of City

i haven't quite perfected my theoretical wage system but i think it's a good work in progress :D

Last edited:
Having everyone in the 25 play would only benefit teams like City/Cheat$ki, can you imagine wigan's bottom 5 players having to get even 3 full games?

I'm not sure that it would have a disproportionately negative impact on the smaller teams, they tend to be less reliant on star players and do not stockpile players to stop their rivals getting them.

Back