• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laptop Screen Issue

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
Hi chaps, that time again...

Got back a laptop I gave my nephew as they claimed it was broken (nothing on screen and no power when off the adaptor).

Needless to say, I didn't give up on it as I'd put in extra ram and a 9 cell battery before I gave it to him.

So hooked it upto an external monitor and changed the adaptor to another Dell one. Got a picture and it works beautifully...

Problem is, the screen was black but you could just about make out the logo on boot-up. Did my research and bought an inverter from ebay for around ?ú2...

Now boots up and shows the Dell logo clearly but then goes black again (or dim). Still works on the external monitor.

When I switch between monitors using the Fn keys the picture comes up but then disappears - so not a bulb or inverter issue anymore I believe.

I have a feeling there is something in the setting or motherboard that switches it to external monitor constantly (I've unplugged the connector that puts it on standby when the laptop screen/lid is shut so that's not the issue).

Anything else I need to look into or to try to fix this problem?

It's a Dell Inspiron 6400 or E1505 if that helps.

Cheers!

Hey mate. Sounds like the new inverter may have burned out. Possibly wrong inverter, or more likely the actual backlight has gone on the blink or the wiring has gone bad. You can go online and get instructions on doing it yourself (it's a bit of a job, you have to completely open the screen and unstick the old backlight. Should be about ?ú80 - ?ú100 to have one fitted by a repair shop I would have thought and save you hassle and time of self diagnosis

Cheers mate.

Not sure it is the screen anymore - it does come on briefly and looks perfect (when I'm switching between monitors) that said, what do I know.

I use it briefly and with the monitor so won't invest too much into it but thought having a 9 cell it could be useful on occasions when I don't want to be connected to a power line (My primary laptop's battery truely sucks so always plugged in). Had an ipad when I wanted to be more mobile but given that ages ago to my 2 year old (it sits on her desk :D).

Take it apart, remove cmos battery and leave it out overnight which should clear the bios out totally - put it all back together and see if it helps.

Had this once with a Sammy where a 2K Svr install scrabbled the bios, after leaving without battery for about 8 hours it cleared all to default and I could get it working again.

*if your thinking hardware is ok that is, otherwise as mentioned new screen which inc's a new backlight.

Last edited:
Mate, if you can faintly see the screen once it goes off I'll guarentee it's the backlight

Last edited:
It's the backlight Southstand, I'd guarantee it. The screen initially comes on at first boot but immediately goes out as the inverter fails. If the CCFL wiring has gone faulty, it's probably frying the inverter, which is why it worked for a bit when he changed it then failed again. It's not an expensive job, just take it to a decent repair shop.

Back