• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just been scammed

Superted

Jonathan Woodgate
Wife got a call from the bank to confirm some purchase over $1,000. Had no idea what it was so they went through all these transactions and about half a dozen visa transactions ranging from $50 to $200 coming out of our account. Total damage was about $550 which apparantly the bank is good for.

Still sucks though. You hear about these things and take it for granted but lesson learnt about checking our statements and providing cc details.

as long as the bank get you money mate, i wouldnt fret too much - i've had this once with a credit card (a few hundred quid - i think they were testing the water) and then ?ú1.5k from my account.

it does suck, but you'll get it back.
and at least it wasn't cash!
chin up

Had it happen to me just after christmas a couple of years a go. It wasn't that it happened that bothered me the most but not knowing how it happened. My card very rarely left the house and I only used it on reputable websites. Got all the money back but it was still a pain in the neck.

I had this happen with a credit card, I eventually recovered all the lost payments, was around ?ú300. I always check my debit card details online and have since cancelled my credit card.

I used to work in a bank, and one of the things that I would encourage people to do, is to take a credit card to use for on-line/shopping as a security reason. Keep the credit limit low (a lot of people will just increase the limit to what the maximum is allowed) and manageable, and you can then clear it immediately, avoiding any interest charges. This then lets you make purchases with the piece of mind that if someone were to get hold of your details they can only use the credit limit, which although a pain dealing with its much more re-assuring to know its credit that's been stolen rather than your own hard earned cash.

I don't know about people who continually increase the credit limit themselves... BUT... my bank encouraged me to be further and further in debt with my credit card, continually raising the credit limit. I am brick with money, I'll admit it, but that raised ceiling kept giving me the false feeling that I had some allocated funds available to spend. I knew differently, of course, but didn't stop me spending more than I ought to and then each month facing up to the interest charges which, I then struggled to pay, and so became more and more in debt until such a point as I decided enough was enough and got some help to clear the whole balance.

I agree that banks and credit card companies will increase limits and generally they won't discourage people from spending. However, if you do have cards or an overdraft I would suggest lowering the limits while you're able to. If you have maxed out the limits then when you make a payment/salary hits the account reduce the amount by whatever you can afford, whether it be ?ú10 or ?ú100 each month.

I know that its not always easy to resist and I myself have been as guilty as many others when it comes to overspending, and also part of the reason that I left the banking industry about 6 years ago was that I didn't enjoy the way that they worked.

Back