• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fred Goodwin

I worked for NatWest for 29 years and was made redundant not long after RBS took natwest over so i have no sympathy for fred goodwin. however, the decisions that brought the bank to ruin were made by the board of the bank, yet he seems to be made a spacegoat or hate figure for the ills of the entire world economy. many of those board members have secured roles in other banks or elsewhere and have escaped scot free. removing fred goodwins knighthood seems strange to me, others have had knighthoods removed for committing crimes (jeffery archer, lester piggott) but, to my knowledge fred goodwin has not broken any laws.

I suppose he was IC when it all went tits up, but it's a token gesture to make Dave look good.

TBH, if some old clam gets to be called Sir Old clam instead of Mr Old clam makes no difference to me, I don't care, I'll never have to talk to the old clam anyway. There was only one knighthood I had any real interest in seeing, and it's too late for that now.

I worked for NatWest for 29 years and was made redundant not long after RBS took natwest over so i have no sympathy for fred goodwin. however, the decisions that brought the bank to ruin were made by the board of the bank, yet he seems to be made a spacegoat or hate figure for the ills of the entire world economy. many of those board members have secured roles in other banks or elsewhere and have escaped scot free. removing fred goodwins knighthood seems strange to me, others have had knighthoods removed for committing crimes (jeffery archer, lester piggott) but, to my knowledge fred goodwin has not broken any laws.

so having taken the helm of one of the most successful banks in the Western world, and promptly driven it in to a debt of ?ú45Billion, so it had to be baled out by the taxpayer - doesn't seem to be an issue to you?

This isn't a token gesture, its recognition of the damage that he did to the global economy through his incompetence and poor leadership.

Hopefully he will be stripped of his ?ú900K a year pension next

I want to know why the dopey fudger isn't in jail

Are you seriously arguing this clam deserves a knighthood?

Losing the country ?ú60 billion should definitely count against you to be sure.

He should never have been knighted in the first place. That said, taking it off him sends out a terrible message to the rest of the world.

It was a kneejerk decision

For the record, it wouldn't upset me to learn that the rest of his life is going to be very uncomfortable for him

This isn't a token gesture, its recognition of the damage that he did to the global economy through his incompetence and poor leadership.
As you say, he's still got his huge pension, if they really wanted to make a gesture why not target that? What difference does it make if he's Sir Fred or Fred? Maybe a slight dent to his ego. I'm sure his 900k'll help soothe that away. I guess it depends how much stock you put in the honours system, but to me they wanted to be seen to do something, and this was all they had.

He should never have been knighted in the first place. That said, taking it off him sends out a terrible message to the rest of the world.

What message? That if you're found out to be subsequently undeserving of a title, we take it back?

If RBS were a normal company they would have been left to go to the wall, what would his pension be worth then? A LOT fudging LESS THAN ?ú400k A YEAR THATS FOR SURE.

City type on the radio laughed off sugestions that this could hurt the city!

I love how the BBC are so keen to slag the government they attack it from the left and the right!

The Tobin Tax that France will unilaterally implement is a HUGE boost to London, they are dancing on the streets of Moorgate!

Back