• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Five a day....please help

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
I think i get the general gist. i.e eat better..

but im wondering the calculations behind it and what you can get away with

can someone for instance help with the following questions

can you get all of your 5 a day in ONE or two sittings?

does 'high juice' count?

if you get your 5 a day but eat fatty foods, does it cancel the good stuff you ate before? or is it that you just add brick on top of it?

in smoothies , if you dilute a 250ml amount , much like you would a high juice, does it affect the mount of good stuff you get that contributes to your 5 a day? does it lessen?

would you say 5 a day can be had from just vegetables or just fruits?

......cant think of any more questions.

please help

cheers

Why would you dilute smoothie?!?!?!!?! It wouldn't have any effect on the health benefits but it would make the smoothie pretty wierd.

5 a days a bit strange.

It's best to have a combination of fruits and vegetables to ensure you're getting a mix of the right vitamins and minerals.

High juice does not count if it's the thing I'm thinking of. There is a notion that in terms of juice, it doesn't actually count towards your five a day unless it's not from concentrate 100% juice. The concentration process can kind of fudge it up. And obviously the "Juice drinks" don't count as they're like 1 or 2% actual juice.

You also can only get one of your five a day from fruit juice. You can get more than that from smoothie though apparantly. Doesn't really make sense when you think about it I know.

You can't get more than 1 of your 5 a day from the same vegatable/fruit. Also different fruits/vegetables require you to eat a different amount to fill the quota, ie Raisins take very little, but you'd have to eat brick loads of mushrooms.

You can get all of your five a day from one sitting but it's probably better to spread it out. In terms of that I was having a rather fancy lunch and had one of those innocent veg pots, and some innocent smoothie. The veg pot is 3/5 and the smoothie was 2/5 so just in my lunch I had all of my five a day. Many healthcare accosiations reccomend something mental like 8 a day though but it's just not feasible money wise imo.

Eating fatty foods wouldn't cancel the benefits if you were eating them in moderation

At the end of the day, just eat a mixture of fruits and vegetables in different forms and you'll be alright, it's not really worth stressing over.

My 5-a-day consists of 4 pints of Cider & a packet of Doritos.

It was just 5 pints of Cider but after seeing Doritos in the salad bar at Pizza Hut i have realised that they must count as a fruit or veg.

I have tried to eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can. The thing is fruit has alot of sugar so you gotta try and balance the good fruit and the 'bad' fruit. Apples are better than grapes for example (although grapes are just amazing).

Its quite easy to eat your five a day. Just eat an apple have some salad and a nectarine or a peach or something. Most probably be your five right there.

What I struggle with is the 8 glasses of water. I have recently learnt that tea and coffee can count but as they contain caffeine its not as pure and as effective as water. So I have herbal tea at night two big massive mugs which has helped but bloody hell i go to the loo twice a night.

I don't think I have ever had 5 portions in a day, but I'm healthy as anyone I know. I'll have an apple or banana with lunch and some veg with dinner, but that's it. As someone above mentioned, there's no science behind it and it's just a figure someone plucked out of their arse to make a general attempt to stop fatties eating burgers all day.

I don't think I have ever had 5 portions in a day, but I'm healthy as anyone I know. I'll have an apple or banana with lunch and some veg with dinner, but that's it. As someone above mentioned, there's no science behind it and it's just a figure someone plucked out of their arse to make a general attempt to stop fatties eating burgers all day.

Nah, it's a figure chosen by a group of fruit and veg companies in America to try and make their products more appealing.

It's been a very effective marketing campaign for them really.

I have tried to eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can. The thing is fruit has alot of sugar so you gotta try and balance the good fruit and the 'bad' fruit. Apples are better than grapes for example (although grapes are just amazing).

Its quite easy to eat your five a day. Just eat an apple have some salad and a nectarine or a peach or something. Most probably be your five right there.

What I struggle with is the 8 glasses of water. I have recently learnt that tea and coffee can count but as they contain caffeine its not as pure and as effective as water. So I have herbal tea at night two big massive mugs which has helped but bloody hell i go to the loo twice a night.

the "8 glasses of water" recommended by the NHS only equates to 2.11 pints or 1.2 ltrs, i was trying to drink 8 pints a day before checking the actual volumes and was tinkling like a racehorse! 2 pints is pretty easy, first thing i do in the morning is down a pint of water so i'm half way there already

if you drink 2 smoothies which are '2 of your 5 a day' a piece and then eat some vegetables at dinner does that cover the 5 - or do you need to take it in, in a more varied way ?

It really is not difficult to eat your five a day. Its so so simple.

I don't think smoothies should count, all the goodness I'm certain is removed ie a smoothie doesn't have the real goodness that a piece of fruit has.

It really is not difficult to eat your five a day. Its so so simple.

I don't think smoothies should count, all the goodness I'm certain is removed ie a smoothie doesn't have the real goodness that a piece of fruit has.

How would liquidizing a fruit/veg take away it's nutritional value?

Cooking things in different ways ie boiling instead of steaming definitely can but what's your logic behind a smoothies?

That was gonna be my logic and rationale arrgggghhhhh

Are we 100 per cent sure they don't add anything to the smoothies? Take Innocent for example - do they not add anything?

Do they just put fruit in a blender and liquidise it? Or do they put fruit in massive machine etc?

I'm gonna google this brick.

I'm fairly certain Innocent are pretty good in terms of not fudging with the fruit at all, but obviously they'd want you to think that and perhaps I've been sucked in to the advertising campaign. Who knows..

I'm gonna pipe up here, no surprise.

My opinion is that it is equally (if not more) important to get most of your fruit n veg 'in season', nature povides foods in each season which are aligned to what people in that region need, so foods from hot regions produce alot of potassium which keeps you cool in heat, while cold regions winter produce contain large amounts of sodium for keeping warm (obviously amongst other functions), it's natures stuff like that which makes me believe in intelligent design.

This is a big problem when you just give a blanket 5 a day statement, why not 'eat lots of, in season, high quality, local produce'.

Soil quality and ripeness can also affect these things massively, most soils now are very low in mineral density, which means they don't release their non-protein nitrogen sufficiently, meaning the produce is low in nutritional density and will suffocate the body as potassium nitrite is released though digestion, picked under ripe (to stay on shelves longer) and you amplify this issue (a cheap effective counter to this element is to have a small amount of magnesium with meals as this neutralises potassium nitrite).

I don't buy into Innocent's stuff at all, when I make a smoothie it has to be drunk in 15minutes, as fresh food when crushed/blendid starts to break down it's cell walls and alot of the good enzymes die off. I'm not having it at all that you can microwave food and maintain any decent amount of nutritional density, don't have one in my house.

I have an enzyme juicer (masticating as it doesn't destroy enzymes like most juicers/blenders do), but it is a real chore to use, if I'm feel run down or in need of a clean up though I have a week of mainly carrot juice (sometimes with orange or ginger), plus a few juices with loads chucked, kale, brocolli, apples, celery, coupled with a really clean diet.

I agee that drip drip drip through the day is best, but again very difficult, when I've read up about this on a nutritional forum I frequent it has been put ''do you take all your oxygen for the day in one breath?''.

We have a green smoothie couple/few times a week, usually half a cucumber or celery, some spinach or kale leaves, half an avocado (lots more, but you get the gist). It is usually lovely and dark green ie high in plant chlorophyll, alkaline, teaming with vital minerals. This is really easy, quick, and doesn't taste to bad, you could make a couple in one go, have one with breakfast, sip the other through the day, couple of weeks of this and minimising/eliminating the pure crap in your diet, bosh, new you.

Also I have masses of Kelp, but I don't think any of you pussies could handle the drink I make with this in it... :lol:

You are a gym freak I thought African, if right you are sweating out masses of minerals and need to know nutition better IMO, your body will slow/stop it's regeneration abilities much quicker if you keep burning through it's mineral reserves (plus vitamins, sulphur etc) and don't keep them topped back up.

It's tough to eat well nowadays, really it is.

Keeping your digestive fauna in good health means being very careful with sugars, making fruits a tricky one, eating more than one type at a time is a big no-no (I've read repeadedly) as it strains digestion, but some fruit salads are lovely ](*,)

Enough waffle for now, hmmmmmmm waffle!

Back