• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chess

MKSpur

Christian Ziege
Anyone play? I’ve been playing a bit online recently and found it a lot of fun, having never really played much before. I even like doing the puzzles now!

I see a few similarities with football, especially when a good defence and patience can then cause a dominant second half of the game.

I seem to have got stuck on an approximate 50% win rate though, some games I just end up in trouble from the off and others it’s the reverse, so any tips welcome, but especially about some standard tricks to look out for in openings would be appreciated!

50% thing is probably because the software matches you up with similar level players.

Seeing the pieces as not just occupying one square but as their whole 'shadow' is useful. Looking at the structure of games too, and seeing where lines will open up is interesting. Learning some Gambits is fun - where you give up pieces to gain initiative - often letting go of a pawn to open up routes to their king.

I like watching Ginger GM on Youtube. A sozzled British Grandmaster he tries to educate and he's entertaining. Watching games can be as, or more, instructive than playing sometimes.

I'm pretty crap but got to a level where I can watch the elite tournaments and understand what is going on. With no football during first lockdown, it was entertaining (watching 2 semi-autistic fellas scratching their heads staring into a computer screen! :cool:) Actually sometimes they are pretty expressive as games intensify. Hikaru had a meltdown tempertamtrum on camera after blundering. Nice to see even the elite fuk up now and again :)

Anyone play? I’ve been playing a bit online recently and found it a lot of fun, having never really played much before. I even like doing the puzzles now!

I see a few similarities with football, especially when a good defence and patience can then cause a dominant second half of the game.

I seem to have got stuck on an approximate 50% win rate though, some games I just end up in trouble from the off and others it’s the reverse, so any tips welcome, but especially about some standard tricks to look out for in openings would be appreciated!
Playing a bit using the chess.com app versus bots (when I should be working). There are good lessons on it re opening moves which I never bothered with before but are very helpful.

Playing a bit using the chess.com app versus bots (when I should be working). There are good lessons on it re opening moves which I never bothered with before but are very helpful.
Thanks yes wfh has increased my participation somewhat! I play on lichess but will check out chess.com

50% thing is probably because the software matches you up with similar level players.

Seeing the pieces as not just occupying one square but as their whole 'shadow' is useful. Looking at the structure of games too, and seeing where lines will open up is interesting. Learning some Gambits is fun - where you give up pieces to gain initiative - often letting go of a pawn to open up routes to their king.

I like watching Ginger GM on Youtube. A sozzled British Grandmaster he tries to educate and he's entertaining. Watching games can be as, or more, instructive than playing sometimes.

I'm pretty crap but got to a level where I can watch the elite tournaments and understand what is going on. With no football during first lockdown, it was entertaining (watching 2 semi-autistic fellas scratching their heads staring into a computer screen! :cool:) Actually sometimes they are pretty expressive as games intensify. Hikaru had a meltdown tempertamtrum on camera after blundering. Nice to see even the elite fuk up now and again :)
I did notice that watching a game today it made me spot things I would perhaps not notice as much in my own game as I tend to focus too much on what I am going to do rather than what the opponent is planning. Maybe the same when you watch a footy match when you don’t mind who wins as it takes off the blinkers!

Back