• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canada - Moving and Working for unfixed period of time. Info needed

Sandman

Dean Austin
Hey All,

Just wondered if any of you knew about obtaining visa's for working in Canada. Im tempted to move abroad to work and Given the industry I am in and my language Australia, the States and Canada stand out. Now I feel Oz is too far away even though i loved it there, and the States is very hard to get a visa. So was wondering if Canada was easier to get to for work.

I know it can be based on Work Experience etc and skills brought, but im just after a general consensous on how hard it is. I fancy Canada as I have visited and enjoyed the lifestyle, and I like to snowboard so i would be near some resorts. I work In high end 3D VFX so i think that I would have a skillset that would get me in, and my wife is a Traditional artist with awards.

Anyway, any and all info gratefully received. Im planning to do it in a years time, so i have time to get my affairs in order and sort everything out before applying etc.

Im just sick of London, lived here all my life and need to get out.

No advice to give on Visa, but I'm seriously beginning to think about it too. My mate has moved out to Nelson and has a house on the lake. The cruel git Skyped me just before Christmas to show me all the snow and it has left me pining for the mountains ever since. Not too bad though, off to Norway in a couple weeks and Austria a couple weeks after that :D

But yeah, I think it seems a good choice. I'd ask my mate for advice, but his wife is Canadian, so he didn't have any problems. From the little I know, getting a US H-1B is the most difficult of the three. I think Canada, like Australia, run on a points system. So it would depend on your vocation, status, education etc.

I'm actually from Australia but live in Toronto now. I have no idea what it's like for Brits, but it was so easy for me to get a Work Visa thanks to the Working Holiday Program - http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

I would assume something similar exists for the UK, as we're all part of the commonwealth.

In terms of life over here...it's good. There's not much to complain about, other than the fact that Canadian's are too polite/easy to offend. I might be biased, but for me Toronto is the best city. It's the biggest city, so there's always opportunities here. It's only 7 hours to London too.

If you come over give me a shout and I'll introduce you to Spurs Canada.

Cananda has a point system for applying for "landed immigrant" (resident) status, pretty much the same no matter where you are coming from. You can apply in your home country and processing takes anywhere from a year to 4 years based on where you apply from.

Obviously you can go get a job and apply for a work visa of some kind, or see if what tommy linked to applies for you.

Re living there, it's a little bland imo, decent economy and work opportunities, but Toronto certainly is not like London/New York/etc.

Ask Danners he moved to Canada a while back, he is in the middle east at mo and may not have rejoined, ill ask him

Thanks for the replies so far.

I would not go over there with no job, so After I had a job offer I would then apply for a working Visa or something like that. Im not sure what my long term intentions are, I just know after 39 years I have had enough of London, the rude people, the commute to work and the crap lifestyle. I need a change. I fancy NY even though i know its busier than London but if I did move to the states I would not live in NY like I do in London.

I have been To canada twice and I like that people are over polite, it seems more the English way, and to be honest with the way Londoners are it makes a nice change. I really liked Melbourne for that reason but Oz is just too far away for seeing family.

If I like it out in Canada i might think about staying, but who knows at this point.

If you have a job before you come, you should have no problems getting a visa at all.

The main thing to prepare for is the weather - it can be brutal. This winter has been warm in Toronto, but still had some days around -15 to -30??C. That is just not pleasant.

Currently snowing and -2?? though, which is really quite spectacular. I love it.

Back