• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buying a new car (advice needed)

ALtottenham_hotspur

Jamie Redknapp
Hi.

Girlfriend has just finished uni, while she was at uni we managed to cope with just one car, shes busy applying jobs and it shouldn't be to long until she gets one (she did sign language number of jobs available) so we need a second car.

Shes going to take over the focus payments and I will get a new car. I have my eye on a golf from motorpoint. I was thinking of getting a bank loan with a lower APR instead of finance through motorpoint. I was also hoping to knock the price down more, with the cars up between £15200-£15999 I thought I could knock them down at least by a £1000 because I will be transferring a large amount of money in one transaction.

So two questions;

anyone bought from Motorpoint before?
if a car is up for 15k do you reckon I could get it down to 13k again because of the lump transaction?

Hate dealing with garages!!

Last edited:
What I have found is that those car giants and motorpoint alike are a rip off. Not sure what reg you will be getting but at those prices im assuming a year or two old which would mean it still has warranty remaining so there would be no risk in that regards. Id suggest if you are going to get a loan then go private even private dealers would sell at cheaper prices.

Thats my take, not much help but from experience.

The mrs bought a 6 month old car last year. Went through a dealer/garage. Motor point we found was full of previous mobility fleet cars. She drives automatics so we went to a dealer that just deals in them in the end. All she got as a sweetener was 4 new tyres even though it was only 6 months old. It also had 30 months warranty still with Vauxhall.

Always get a vehicle check done.. Costs a tenner, but good for piece of mind. Some you can get two searches for 15.99 etc shop around for the best deal. The first car we checked at motor point was registered in fricken Poland. Put us of them, second car we checked we bought, as said from dealer/garage.

good luck

Hi.

Girlfriend has just finished uni, while she was at uni we managed to cope with just one car, shes busy applying jobs and it shouldn't be to long until she gets one (she did sign language number of jobs available) so we need a second car.

Shes going to take over the focus payments and I will get a new car. I have my eye on a golf from motorpoint. I was thinking of getting a bank loan with a lower APR instead of finance through motorpoint. I was also hoping to knock the price down more, with the cars up between £15200-£15999 I thought I could knock them down at least by a £1000 because I will be transferring a large amount of money in one transaction.

So two questions;

anyone bought from Motorpoint before?
if a car is up for 15k do you reckon I could get it down to 13k again because of the lump transaction?

Hate dealing with garages!!

The dealer is more likely to give you a discount if you arrange finance through them ( as they get a commission). However you arrange finance the dealership gets paid in full up front and you pay instalments to the finance company. So your arranging your own finance it is not advantageous to the car dealership, in fact it is the opposite.

Those big showrooms are good to spend an afternoon comparing cars side by side, but you will find better deals elsewhere.

Back