• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - QF1 - The Shining v The Goonies

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
The Shining

shining_ver1.jpg

V

The Goonies

goonies.jpg

I would have to quite strongly disagree old friend. It is a timeless film and one which is actually dated only by the fact that no-one can make film like Kubrick, and sadly Stanley died too long ago.

If it does not make it to the semis I will be appalled.

There's no doubt that it is a classic, it looks great and Nicolson puts in a good turn. I still think that it feels like a 70s film. Hardly surprising, it was written and filmed in the 70s.

Of family films on the list, I think that it should have been Ghostbusters or Gremlins that got to this stage rather than the Goonies.

The Goonies is a bit of fun.
The Shining is a classic, y'all know it is a better film.

It is a shame that The Shining could have been better, the plot is a bit strange at the end... the caretaker comes all the way back from Florida, walks in the door and gets killed... there was no need for that whole massive bit of plot really. Assuming the wife could have found another vehicle in a shed.
Also, when Jack is locked in the freezer... then he isn't... I think they could have tied it up a bit neater.
E.g. the photo at the end indicating Jack has always been there... as a ghost... or something... or...?
There are some good conspiracy theories online about who is really the culprit, e.g. Danny himself is the evil one and everyone else is a pawn in his game.

Back