• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre's Wrap Up

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Andre Villas-Boas offers his thoughts on our squad following the conclusion of the January transfer window.

Germany Under-21 captain Lewis Holtby made the earlier move to White Hart Lane this month after an initial agreement was made for the player to join us in July.

The midfielder made a successful debut in Wednesday's Premier League visit to Carrow Road, coming off the bench to inspire a revival that resulted in Gareth Bale's fine equaliser.

"Lewis is an excellent acquisition and offers additional quality to a strong squad, which is extremely difficult to find in the January market, when clubs are reluctant to sell. Our intention was always to bring in players that could improve us and Lewis certainly falls into this category. We were pleased that we were able to bring his transfer forward.

"He is young, extremely talented and can play a number of different roles across the midfield. We saw a glimpse of the impact he can have against Norwich, finding holes in behind and linking the game well for the team.

"It was always going to be important that we kept the players we have here because we have full confidence in them. We have a great squad and that is demonstrated by our current league position.

"We have strength in depth, goals throughout the team and the belief that we are equipped to achieve our objectives.

"We also have players like Younes Kaboul and Emmanuel Adebayor returning soon and they will provide a tremendous boost for us.

“It is always good to see that so many of our young players have gone out on loan. They will pick up valuable experience, key to their further development.”

Yago Falque, Souleymane Coulibaly, Ryan Mason, Andros Townsend, Simon Dawkins, Tomislav Gomelt and Alex Pritchard will continue their development with strategic loan placements, along with Adam Smith who has had his loan extended.

Harry Kane returns to us following his recall from a loan spell at Norwich City. Young defender Zeki Fryers has also joined from Standard Liege, linking up with the Club’s Development Squad.
Heurelho Gomes has been loaned out to Hoffenheim, while Jermaine Jenas and Carlo Cudicini have made permanent transfers to Queens Park Rangers and LA Galaxy, respectively, and we wish them both well for the future.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/window-wrap-01022013.page

Fulham Football Club @FulhamFC

Jol also confirms that Tom Huddlestone was close to joining, before Spurs pulled out

good to have Kane back, hopefully won't have to use him and Obika that often but at least we have round pegs for round holes

interesting about Huddlestone, I wonder if were in for another CM on the quiet

good to have Kane back, hopefully won't have to use him and Obika that often but at least we have round pegs for round holes

interesting about Huddlestone, I wonder if were in for another CM on the quiet

i reckon we were, but ran out of time and didnt offer enough....just another day in the deadline day office

I think this is relevant in the "Wrap Up" thread:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it is interesting to look at what Martin Jol has done at Fulham

Here are their signings from the last few windows; these are the level of players which Spurs "could" have brought in, and we would have won the signature of many of them if Levy and the manager had really wanted us to.

Do people like the look of this group of players, mostly signed for relatively low fees and wages.

Would Spurs be playing these players in our team much?

Summer - Rodallega from Wigan, Petric from Hamburg, Riether from Cologne, Richardson from Sunderland Berbatov from United, Dejagah from Wolsfburg

January - Frimpong from Arse, Urby from AC Milan, Manolev from PSV, Enoh from Ajax

Also Brian Ruiz and that winger called Frei or something, what happened to him? Injured I guess.

For me this is the approach Spurs could choose to take - lots of "quite good but not brilliant" players in that lot. Not a bad selection really. None of them are Leandro Damiao or Falcao or Cavani etc.

Should we set our sights at this level?

PS - It's quite scary how easy it is to get it wrong. I remember "Jo" being Emirates Marketing Project's record signing at £19m. A Brazilian sensation at 21ish. Scored about 5 in 50 and got loaned out everywhere and went home with his tail between his legs. What happened to Royston Drenthe, another we could have chased?

Fulham Football Club @FulhamFC

Jol also confirms that Tom Huddlestone was close to joining, before Spurs pulled out
That reminds me of a joke.

What are the similarities between sex and your bank account?

Well, when you withdraw you lose interest.

PS - It's quite scary how easy it is to get it wrong. I remember "Jo" being Emirates Marketing Project's record signing at £19m. A Brazilian sensation at 21ish. Scored about 5 in 50 and got loaned out everywhere and went home with his tail between his legs. What happened to Royston Drenthe, another we could have chased?

Drenthe is a headcase. Everton got rid after some disciplinary issues.

I think this is relevant in the "Wrap Up" thread:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it is interesting to look at what Martin Jol has done at Fulham

Here are their signings from the last few windows; these are the level of players which Spurs "could" have brought in, and we would have won the signature of many of them if Levy and the manager had really wanted us to.

Do people like the look of this group of players, mostly signed for relatively low fees and wages.

Would Spurs be playing these players in our team much?

Summer - Rodallega from Wigan, Petric from Hamburg, Riether from Cologne, Richardson from Sunderland Berbatov from United, Dejagah from Wolsfburg

January - Frimpong from Arse, Urby from AC Milan, Manolev from PSV, Enoh from Ajax

Also Brian Ruiz and that winger called Frei or something, what happened to him? Injured I guess.

For me this is the approach Spurs could choose to take - lots of "quite good but not brilliant" players in that lot. Not a bad selection really. None of them are Leandro Damiao or Falcao or Cavani etc.

Should we set our sights at this level?

there is nothing wrong with looking for bargains. Holtby is a bargain, a good player who arrived cheaply. Sandro was a good player who came for 6 mill. Vertonghen was reasonably cheap from a poor right now league. Siggy, a quite good but not brilliant player

id say that Spurs have demonstrated a similar policy to Fulham.

those players at Fulham listed above are not as good as the players we have here already in their respective positions (Berbatov aside) Im glad we are setting our sights higher and not bloating our squad with average players

what an odd post

(not that it isn't a good job well done for Fulham, just not the level we are looking at, unless we're talking back up/squad players)

Frei is pretty decent

He is going to be awesome had a few injuries but would love to get him in if we could, we would be flying under the radar because he is not well know yet but if we waited a year or two it would be like zaha and he would be out of our reach.

We need to take calculated risks with players like frei and benteke and get them before they become too good, of course they might go the other way like someone said like that guy jo who city paid 19m for.

Back