• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

25 man squad rule

Joesh

Tony Parks
Has this rule any real positive impact? People wanted to stop clubs stock piling players but they still do it but just loan out all the extra players. On the other side, you get players like that guy who joined Crystal Palace this summer and didnt make the 25, so effectively will have no chance to play for at least 5 months. Obviously there is many others who will just train and pick up wages, in fact you wonder what they even bother turning up for training at all.

Surely, this cant be right?

Is it a bit of a joke as it stands. I'm not sure if this was just a stepping stone to ease clubs in before they introduce further restrictions but this step hasn't had any real effect.

I wonder of they could reduce drastically the number of loans of over 21s or something? Maybe say, all over 21s count towards your squad, regardless of whether you loan them out or not. Whereas youth loans could be unlimited and not count towards your squad. It might prevent the stockpiling some clubs have started doing.

How can you tell that it hasn't had a positive effect?

The problem of clubs having bloated squads wasn't going to be entirely solved by this one piece of regulation alone. A few clubs loaning out a ton of players was the same before this came into place iirc.

I think questions should be asked of the managers that sign so many players that they can't fit them all into their 25 man squad before the regulations are blamed.

Has this rule any real positive impact? People wanted to stop clubs stock piling players but they still do it but just loan out all the extra players. On the other side, you get players like that guy who joined Crystal Palace this summer and didnt make the 25, so effectively will have no chance to play for at least 5 months. Obviously there is many others who will just train and pick up wages, in fact you wonder what they even bother turning up for training at all.

Surely, this cant be right?

Something has to be done about the loan system. It has to be linked to club produced players.

If it isn't then they can have 15 man squad rules and it would not make a blind bit of difference.

Is it a bit of a joke as it stands. I'm not sure if this was just a stepping stone to ease clubs in before they introduce further restrictions but this step hasn't had any real effect.

I wonder of they could reduce drastically the number of loans of over 21s or something? Maybe say, all over 21s count towards your squad, regardless of whether you loan them out or not. Whereas youth loans could be unlimited and not count towards your squad. It might prevent the stockpiling some clubs have started doing.

A great idea is always a simple one. Well done. That could work.

How can you tell that it hasn't had a positive effect?

The problem of clubs having bloated squads wasn't going to be entirely solved by this one piece of regulation alone. A few clubs loaning out a ton of players was the same before this came into place iirc.

I think questions should be asked of the managers that sign so many players that they can't fit them all into their 25 man squad before the regulations are blamed.

I blame the managers too for allowing this to happen but surely a system that effectively bans a player from doing his job should be questioned. I cant believe these "banned" players havent brought some sort of case against the league or their clubs for breach of contract.

I blame the managers too for allowing this to happen but surely a system that effectively bans a player from doing his job should be questioned. I cant believe these "banned" players havent brought some sort of case against the league or their clubs for breach of contract.

But couldn't this then could be used as an argument against any quota system including the home grown system included in the CL/EL squad sizes, PL squad size and any potential minimum amount of English/British players in the squad?

The restrictions are in place, up to the clubs to follow them.

There could be issues between the player(s) and the clubs in these situations, but I really don't think the players have a leg to stand on up against the associations/league.

Back