• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to put this, but has anyone else noticed Mbappé's Go Go Gadget Arms?

3619.jpg

Should have been a goalkeeper.
He's got really big feet too, so should have been a swimmer.

some tasty games tomorrow

France v uruguay - allez les bleus ! I think the french'll be too strong, is cavani fit ?

Brazil v Belgium - I hope our lads take 'nightmare' out in a sandwich tackle, he limps off and the free kick goes the other way ! Belgique to win

All the numbers were against England going into the penalty shootout against Colombia. England: three defeats from three World Cup shootouts; six defeats in seven shootouts in major tournaments. And with a 14% win percentage, the worst of any national team with more than five shootouts to its name.

England also conceded a late equaliser in normal time. Statistically, teams that score the final goal take momentum into the shootout and are more likely to win it. Oh, and Colombia took the first penalty, which increases their chance of success.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/england-gareth-southgate-penalties-overcome-hoodoo

Credit due to Southgate.

We are a very very strange nation at times. I do see political parrellels to how people view England and our success, for England to do well is seen as to nationalistic. Had a few say "the last thing we need is England to win and turn the country into a national flag waving frenzy", few lefties on Twitter supporting the opposition every game which I really struggle to understand, it a game of football and we are doing well and there people politicise the game.

Portugal went home in th elast round and had crowds at the airport to welcome them, we have people trying to pour scorn on our run

We are a very very strange nation at times. I do see political parrellels to how people view England and our success, for England to do well is seen as to nationalistic. Had a few say "the last thing we need is England to win and turn the country into a national flag waving frenzy", few lefties on Twitter supporting the opposition every game which I really struggle to understand, it a game of football and we are doing well and there people politicise the game.

Portugal went home in th elast round and had crowds at the airport to welcome them, we have people trying to pour scorn on our run
You're in trouble if your perception of opinion is based on Twitter.

As someone from the outside looking in, it's not England, it's not England fans or English people, it's the English media.
Try and look at the coverage or listen to the game as a neutral, it's painful.
It's like the Liverpool cult magnified 1000.
Because I'm a scot it's easy to say I'm bitter blh blah blah, but England have struggled here against low level opponents. Yet the media have it that its almost a forgone conclusion that Eng will get to the final.

I do think the two have some connection.

I think the 2012 Olympics success in some ways created momentum for the leave vote. The country had long been crestfallen by war exhaustion and the loss of empire. Pulling off both the spectacle and the sporting performances felt like a watershed moment in the sense it installed widely a confidence that we could do things on a global stage again.

Another good thing about nationalism through the lens of sport is that it's so firmly non-racial. Accents are all that count

As someone from the outside looking in, it's not England, it's not England fans or English people, it's the English media.
Because I'm a scot it's easy to say I'm bitter blh blah blah, but England have struggled here against low level opponents. Yet the media have it that its almost a forgone conclusion that Eng will get to the final.

I think you are right, the media are terribly partizan, I don't think its anywhere near the level of Liverpool though, the UK media treated the group stage of the world cup like it was the salah testimonial tournament, he was in every narrative

Ok but on the flip side every other nation enjoys the ride whilst they are in it, most more fanatically than England in many cases, I have seen loads of examples where lesser nations, respectfully, have been more optimistic than we are or are allowed to be without being shouted down for being arrogant.

South american nations get all wrapped up in the competition is "romantic" we do the same its arrogant?

I live in Switzerland and I can vouch for the one sided media coverage, but I don’t see much wrong with that, it’s not an English thing. The commentators and studio were ecstatic when they beat Serbia and distraught when they lost to Sweden, as they thought they could go far due to the draw. It’s all perfectly normal.

The papers are full of Swiss flags, the street side bin bags are made out in red with the small white cross, the homes and apartments are full of Swiss flags (and Portuguese, Spanish, French, etc.).

I haven’t heard any English media saying we’re gonna win it have they(?), the “it’s coming home” stuff is tongue in cheek as far as I can make out. There’s a réalisation that the draw is now extremely favorable, but that’s it isn’t it?

A penalty of that height is always a risk, a guessing keeper might get lucky, that’s why it was a bad pen, a good pen puts the ball where the keeper can’t get to.
Agree... Very low or very high (but on target) is a good penalty. Left, right or centre... I feel that's down to chance... Including poor refereeing when the keeper is allowed to move before the kick is taken

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I live in Switzerland and I can vouch for the one sided media coverage, but I don’t see much wrong with that, it’s not an English thing. The commentators and studio were ecstatic when they beat Serbia and distraught when they lost to Sweden, as they thought they could go far due to the draw. It’s all perfectly normal.

The papers are full of Swiss flags, the street side bin bags are made out in red with the small white cross, the homes and apartments are full of Swiss flags (and Portuguese, Spanish, French, etc.).

I haven’t heard any English media saying we’re gonna win it have they(?), the “it’s coming home” stuff is tongue in cheek as far as I can make out. There’s a réalisation that the draw is now extremely favorable, but that’s it isn’t it?

I think some fans are enjoying it and saying its coming home. Me personally I am in this for us to win it, I think we will, we might not but thats not arrogance, lets do it and enjoy it. Why go all the way and invest 4 years into a tournament and not go there to win or the very least get exicted.

Billic said the same abotu the English and the media, all about history and historyonics, show images all the time of penalty misses and sorrow from the past rather than live int he moment and the bloke was spot on.

So Fudge what anyone says, lets go out there and win on Saturday and lets get closer to the biggest prize in football, if people cant handle that than suck my bulging rocky dennis head sizes nutt bag

Ok but on the flip side every other nation enjoys the ride whilst they are in it, most more fanatically than England in many cases, I have seen loads of examples where lesser nations, respectfully, have been more optimistic than we are or are allowed to be without being shouted down for being arrogant.

South american nations get all wrapped up in the competition is "romantic" we do the same its arrogant?

No problem with the fans doing it, that's what being a fan is all about, good luck to them.
Most England fans I know are good blokes and realists just along for a ride.
I can't comment on other nations as I haven't seen it, but I'm sure you're right.
It would be staggering if other countries didn't do it, and if there's a time to get carried away its now and I don't blame the English press for doing just now.
But the TV press in particular do it during EVERY England game.
I compare watching an England game or a tourney they are playing in with watching a golf tournament Tiger woods is playing, I want to watch the game I watching without commentary about England.
I have no horse in this race, England winning the world cup could be epic for spurs and our players, but some of the smug tacos in the TV studio would seriously melt my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back