• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

'World class' players in each position over past 10 years

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
Following on from the discussion in the Lloris thread about world class players. Can you put together a first 11 of what you consider to be players at 'world class' level from the past 10 years?

To me world class should be someone that could walk into any clubs starting 11.

Buffon
Dani Alves
Lahm
Canavarro
Tiago silva
Zidane
Xavi
Iniesta
Ronaldo
Messi
Ibrahimovic

Honourable mentions to/subs bench
Neuer
Maldini
Nesta
Pirlo
Scholes
Ronaldinho
Henry

Last edited:
Giggs and Bale as well

giggs not really genuinely world class for me. what makes him special is his longevity at the top, moreso than his peak level. during the period that shouldve been his peak (mid-20's), i distinctly remember that the likes of pires and overmars were superior to him.

and during the early/mid 2000's there were numerous rumours that man utd were considering selling giggs. this wasnt the case for any of the other players mentioned in this thread.

and i remember roy keane making this point regarding ryan giggs a couple years back whilst he was an itv pundit.

giggs not really genuinely world class for me. what makes him special is his longevity at the top, moreso than his peak level. during the period that shouldve been his peak (mid-20's), i distinctly remember that the likes of pires and overmars were superior to him.

and during the early/mid 2000's there were numerous rumours that man utd were considering selling giggs. this wasnt the case for any of the other players mentioned in this thread.

and i remember roy keane making this point regarding ryan giggs a couple years back whilst he was an itv pundit.
Keane himself should be in the list somewhere I would think.

Neymar not sure if serious? Giggs over Pires and Overmars all day long for me but it's clear where your goner tag comes from.

I'll add Paul Scholes to the discussion.

Neymar not sure if serious? Giggs over Pires and Overmars all day long for me but it's clear where your goner tag comes from.

I'll add Paul Scholes to the discussion.
I had scholesy on my bench. If Zidane said he's the best midfielder he's played against that's good enough for me

For me:

GK: Buffon
RB: Dani Alves
LB: Lahm
CB: Nesta
CB: Puyol
CM: Pirlo
CM: Zidane
CM: Iniesta
FWR: Messi
FWL: Ronaldo
CF: Zlatan

Buffon

Dani Alves
Puyol
Cannavaro
Lahm

Pirlo
Zidane
Xavi

Messi
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho

Genuinely don't think Zlatan has done enough in the CL to be considered world class, especially in the latter stages.

The answer is the Invincibles starting XI, right?! ;)

The answer is the Invincibles starting XI, right?! ;)

here's my team:

lahm - sol campbell - koscielny (people just dont know it yet) - ash cole

zidane - xavi - iniesta

messi - henry - c.ronaldo - ronaldinho

yes, my team plays without a gk; attack is the best form of defense. also i dont think theres been a gk over the past 10 years that deserves to be in such a team. maybe buffon.

------------buffon
cafu-----puyol------nesta----maldini
--------------y.toure
--------xavi----------iniesta
--messi*-----henry-------ronaldo

*he can play where he likes.

here's my team:

lahm - sol campbell - koscielny (people just dont know it yet) - ash cole

zidane - xavi - iniesta

messi - henry - c.ronaldo - ronaldinho

yes, my team plays without a gk; attack is the best form of defense. also i dont think theres been a gk over the past 10 years that deserves to be in such a team. maybe buffon.

I'm amazed you haven't picked Eboue.

Back