• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why do you support Spurs?

Fellas @Nutter-Naylor and @parklane1 what do think of the new stadium? It is such a different experience to the 70s.

For me I’ll always miss old WHL. The new place is awesome. Change waits for no man and all that, but old WHL will live long in the memory.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

W.H.L will always be in my heart and was sorry to see us go, i will never forget the first time as a kid stepping out of the stairs and seeing it for the first time it was magic. But as you say times moves on and the ground was too small to really put us up with the big boys.

I am getting on a bit now but i really home to see many great times at our new home as i saw at the Lane.

Fellas @Nutter-Naylor and @parklane1 what do think of the new stadium? It is such a different experience to the 70s.

For me I’ll always miss old WHL. The new place is awesome. Change waits for no man and all that, but old WHL will live long in the memory.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The new place is a magnificent building and had to be built if the club wanted to 'keep up with the joneses'. I have a great view from the SE corner but then for £1200 I wouldn't expect anything else.

That said, I would swap all that for what we had in the 70s and 80s in a heartbeat.

Hard to put into words but it really did feel like a 'family' compared to now when it is more like s tourist destination.

Grew up in Australia but my best mate's father was a Scot who lived in London in his teens. He fell in love with Spurs and as teenagers ourselves he would regale us with tales of matches at The Lane and tell us how fantastic the atmosphere was.

From there I started watching on the telly at all hours of the evening/morning and fell in love with the strip, the stadium, the fans, the club's history, Martin Jol, Freddie Kanoute and of course Ledley King. The rest is history.

I've been lucky enough to see Spurs play at old WHL and also been to a few away games. Now living in England I can't wait to get to the new stadium as often as possible, once this darned lockdown fudges off.

COYS.

6 or 7 years old, my mate brings in a folder with Spurs players pictures and autographs in them. Gary Lineker was the only player I knew at the time that wasn't Liverpool (most of the kids supported them back then but I couldn't get on board), therefore I decided in that moment to support Spurs. The added bonus was that they were my local big club too.

I sometimes reflect on what would have been if Lineker had still been playing for Leicester City at that time. I'd have witnessed my club win the league. Really this is his fault. Jug-eared prick.

i will never forget the first time as a kid stepping out of the stairs and seeing it for the first time it was magic.

So true!!!

Coming up the stairs into WHL was something. Especially if you arrived a minute or two before kick-off. You still get that 'entering the colosseum' feel at the new Lane. In some ways the spectacle of the building, crowd, and steep stands is even more awe-inspiring. But the closeness and intimacy won't be there again in that same way. Two different realities.

The first game I went which must have been in the 80s I didn't get actually that WOW moment when you emerged into the stands. Was too young. I think we beat Forst 1-0 that day. Its faint memory. The memories of games in the nineties, naughties and the final season when we made more noise with a reduced capacity than we often do now, will always remain.

I've enjoyed sitting in different parts of the new stadium. The 1882 corner bar where you can look out over the stadium is awesome. The view looking directly at the south stand is truly unique. I think the new stadium will age well. Certain areas will become more 'traditional'. A family of Spurs nutters singing all game in one area is what we need.

Moving from London to Shropshire at the age of 10, 1989. I had a choice of Man U, Liverspuds, or Everton. Gaza scored a goal and I was spurs. Turned out over a few years there where quite a few yids kicking around but had to keep their heads down.

I did most of the home and aways that season. Might have missed a couple of aways but memory is hazy.

Most people our age would love to relive that season.

I never saw a game that season or the previous one as I was working 7 days a week on a big project, but the money came in handy as I bought my first house and a season ticket for the next season.

In 1952 (when I was 8) I switched from a boarding convent in Sussex to one in Mill Hill, North London.

There, at tea-time every Saturday a reverential hush would descend as the wireless was tuned in to Sports Report with the now iconic signature music 'Out of the Blue' (see below) arresting our attention. The whole refectory would become charged with nervous tension ahead of the impending reading of the results.

Roars of glee mixed in with groans of dismay would simultaneously go up as each score was read out, muted for some, louder for others, louder still for Arsenal's but loudest of all for Tottenham's. The convent was roughly equidistant from both Highbury and WHL but it was Tottenham's generosity in providing free admission for certain games that clinched it for me and most of the boys.

So it was that I too soon chimed in with the cheers / groans for the Spurs result, the more so of course by the time I eventually got the chance to make my first trip to WHL - a year or so later in 1953.

I no longer remember which game was my first at WHL, but that hardly matters because in truth we never got to see that much of what was going on. Our carer Mr Twentyman was indifferent to football and would steer us to the back of Shelf where, surrounded by six-footers, we stood little chance.

One game that does stick in the memory however was a year later, when following a long run of defeats our misery was compounded by a 1-4 home defeat to Charlton. By then I'd worked out how to get a better view and recall watching with utter dismay the lob back by our RB, none other than the great Alf Ramsey, to our goalie Ted Ditchburn who had come off his line. The ball sailed straight over the keeper's head for an og and (I think it was) Charlton's third.

You must be one of the very few on here that have experienced us winning the league, then. Damn. Hopefully we'll all get to experience it some day.

If anyone remembers my post about how my dad made me a spurs supporter just a little update.
Was checking up on my parents by phone a couple of weeks ago and my dad said that my older brother had called him to say the spurs v cov f a cup final was on tv.
My dad told not watching that, we got beat.
So anyway, that starts my dad and I talking about cup finals. I tell him best sporting moment ever for me was '84 eufa Cup final 2 nd leg. A night I will never forget.
Unbeknownst to me my good lady was listening in and on Saturday presented me with a match programme she had tracked down on ebay.
Really rather touched, wife has no interest in football at all.

If anyone remembers my post about how my dad made me a spurs supporter just a little update.
Was checking up on my parents by phone a couple of weeks ago and my dad said that my older brother had called him to say the spurs v cov f a cup final was on tv.
My dad told not watching that, we got beat.
So anyway, that starts my dad and I talking about cup finals. I tell him best sporting moment ever for me was '84 eufa Cup final 2 nd leg. A night I will never forget.
Unbeknownst to me my good lady was listening in and on Saturday presented me with a match programme she had tracked down on ebay.
Really rather touched, wife has no interest in football at all.

You have a "good un" there mate.

You must be one of the very few on here that have experienced us winning the league, then. Damn. Hopefully we'll all get to experience it some day.
By then I was holed up in Reading but still managed to get to a few games that extraordinary season. Inevitably, most memories have faded but some remain indelible, such as our hard-fought opening 2-0 win against Everton at WHL, our away 3-2 victory against the Gooners at Highbury and, most thrillingly and unforgettably of all, cheering the Double-winning team atop their double-decker bus all the way along Tottenham High Road from the ground to Tottenham Town Hall.

Last edited:
Great Thread.

My grandfather escaped the Nazi's, bought a house in Edmonton, saw us win the league in 1951, he got my dad hooked and my old man said he found his way over to rotterdam as a teenager in 1963 to watch us thrash Atletico Madrid. I was taken to my first game in 1979, Eddie Gray and John Lukic were playing for leeds, we were full season ticket holders in the shelf in the 80's, then just me in the 90's before I left for the US.

This article is about Ange, but I thought this section deserves to go in here:
The destiny of Tottenham Hotspur remains shrouded in uncertainty. As we look ahead, the path they tread may be long and arduous, fraught with challenges that could either forge greatness or spell their downfall. Yet, amid this tumultuous journey, one undeniable truth emerges – Tottenham Hotspur has etched its name in the hearts of football enthusiasts worldwide.

This club, with its rich history and passionate fanbase, has a remarkable ability to captivate, inspire, and evoke emotion. They’ve left indelible marks on the beautiful game’s canvas, and with each stride they take, they continue to craft their unique narrative. In the grand theater of football, Spurs are both the protagonists and antagonists, drawing admiration from their supporters and invoking the ire of their rivals.

But let us not forget the neutral spectators, those who find themselves enchanted by the magic of Tottenham’s play. This is a team that, in moments of brilliance, can leave even the most impartial observers in awe. They are the architects of dreams and the purveyors of drama, making the beautiful game all the more beautiful.

We cannot predict the twists and turns that lie ahead for Tottenham Hotspur. Yet, we can be certain of one thing – their journey will continue to excite, amaze, and inspire. Spurs may be enigmatic, but they are also a testament to the enduring allure of football. So, let us watch with bated breath, for the saga of Tottenham Hotspur is far from over, and the next chapter promises to be as captivating as any that came before.

Does the intensity of the acoustics in the current stadium effect the team? Against chelsea the team were pumped up anyway, then with the atmosphere from the pumped up crowd too, there was a period of game where there wasn't control. It was wild, more like a boxing match, with both sides swining wildely. The ref didn't have control either. And the players were pulled further into that boiling atmosphere. It definitaly affected Romero, and in hindsight Ange needed to focus the side to maintain control. No doubt our stadium can be a highly intense place to play. How players react to it is interesting. Some feed off it.

You train every day in the green leafy countryside. But you have to perform infront of 60,000 baying fans. Must be an amazing feeling when its going well, and the inverse when it doesn't. If you have considence already, the atmophere feeds you, but any insecurity it can undermine too. The benifit of having a settled team with players used to the setup can't be overstated.

Excellent thread this - have somehow missed it, not sure why. Loved reading all these stories... as for me:

Born in 85, started supporting Spurs in 94. Dad is Scottish and a Hearts fan. Mum at the time didn't follow football (does now - she's a proper Spurs fan!!)

I myself can't remember why I started supporting Spurs... but my Mum has told me it revolves entirely around Klinsmann signing for Spurs. Just after WC 94 which he starred at, and that's the first footballing tournament I can (vaguely) remember following.

We then signed him! And apparently I just demanded of my parents that we get a top with his name on ASAP. At the time I was living in NW London - Harrow. Went to a sports shop there and shockingly no Spurs shirts - QPR the closest.

Not sure what happened after that - well apart from the fact that I didn't get a Spurs shirt at that exact moment 😂 - but I ended up following QPR for a short while. A fair few people at school followed them as well IIRC - their ground wasn't far from Harrow. Must have been a few Watford fans too along with obligatory Utd/Liverpool fans. don't really remember many Chelsea fans at school - perhaps unsurprisingly, they only gained their support since 2003 😂

fudging luckily for me -and not long after this all went down - I followed my original gut feeling. Switched to Spurs, to the right side, and it's all been downhill since there haha. I'm not religious whatsoever but feel this was the product of some kind of divine intevention called Jurgen :cool:.

We've obviously had a ton of downs as well as some great ups through the following 29 years... but I wouldn't swap supporting Spurs with anyone else. It will mean so much, WHEN we inevitably get there, and strong feelings that Ange could be the man. COYS

Back