• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which Positions Should We Buy For?

My ideal transfer window. Assuming that we will primarily plan 4-2-3-1 as Bale is best as a "No 10."

In

2 "No 9" center forward
1 left back
1 defensive mid with game making capability (e.g, Cabeye)
1 "No 10" understudy to Bale (since Dempsey, Sig and Holtby are no good there and we need backup for Bale)
1 winger (lowest priority)

Out

BAE, Gallas, Livermore, Parker, Defoe, Ade, Bentley,

Team next year

GK: Lloris, Friedel, Archer
RB: Walker, Naughton, Kaboul
CB: Dawson, Vertonghen, Caulker, Kaboul, Thudd
LB: [New LB], Rose, Vertonghen
CM: Sandro, Dembele, [New CM], Thudd, Holtby
Wingers: Lennon, Dempsey, Townsend, Sig, [New Winger], Bale
No 10: Bale, [New No 10], Dempsey, Holtby
No 9: [New No 9], [New No 9], Dempsey

I like the look of Bolasie (sp) the Palace RW

Very raw, but he looks like their new Zaha. Hell of a shot on him. Another Lennon back-up, if we don't use Andros?

my Palace mates reckon Bolaise has been playing better than Zaha for them all the while.

I like the look of Bolaise - he has out performed Zaha whenever I have watched them.. But then Zaha was meant to have been something special tonight

Considering we have Defoe, Ade, Dempsey, Bale. Are we short on strikers?

# 1 Quality Midfielder.

Attributes: quality passing, good movement, leadership, dribbling, scores from midfield.

Not much to ask.

# 2 A speedy winger

Attributes: pace, dribbling, tricks, a good shot, can use both feet.

Someone who can stretch play and get in behind a defense. We've looked narrow in a lot of games. When teams sit back, we rarely get around the back of them - which we need to to open them up.

# 3 A defensive coach.

Don't know about Rose, have not seen him play much. By most accounts he's not bad going forward, questionable defending. A bit like Walker then. They're the same age incidentally.

# 4 One in one out. Sell one striker and bring in a better one.

But who would you / AVB sell?

Ade - on his day, when settled, he's a world beater. I think AVB rates him over Defoe.

But Defoe scores! Goals from all over. A natural goal scorer. Probably the most likely to be sold though - he's 30 - and although we'll miss him, will he get games over Ade or another?

Dempsey As last game showed, he's a lucky player. And he makes his own luck. Never going to play for a top top team, but he just pulls it out the bag. We only bought him last year, so bar a sizable offer, he's a good squad player.

Bale - we better fudging not :)

2 players to finish in the top 2 IMO and in with a real chance of the title

Moutinho or similar and Benteke or very similar.

We have an advantage for once in stability and I'd rather add quality than quantity for the sake of it.

I'd love a young goalie as back up and maybe that's Archer

Yeah Benny is frustrating but he has been injured in and off for most of the season

We need wing cover and that's Townsend for me

Our most Important problems are a goalscoring lone striker and a passing midfielder and we could tackle that with 2 players who IMO are get table and early but let's see...

keep an eye on these this summer. At least 2 will end up at Spurs imo

Shaw...left back
McCarthy.....centre mid
Ince.....attacking mid/winger
Mcmanaman...winger
Rhodes....striker

2 players to finish in the top 2 IMO and in with a real chance of the title

Moutinho or similar and Benteke or very similar.

We have an advantage for once in stability and I'd rather add quality than quantity for the sake of it.

I'd love a young goalie as back up and maybe that's Archer

Yeah Benny is frustrating but he has been injured in and off for most of the season

We need wing cover and that's Townsend for me

Our most Important problems are a goalscoring lone striker and a passing midfielder and we could tackle that with 2 players who IMO are get table and early but let's see...

I just don't see it. It's not like United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal are all going to sit still.

It's also not like buying two players will suddenly improve our squad depth either.

A one season wonder and a player who hasn't set foot in the premier league won't make us instant contenders.

Last edited:
keep an eye on these this summer. At least 2 will end up at Spurs imo

Shaw...left back
McCarthy.....centre mid
Ince.....attacking mid/winger
Mcmanaman...winger
Rhodes....striker

I thought Southampton were safe but Gareth’s goal has put them in the last day mix.
If relegated we could maybe nick 17 yo LB prospect Luke Shaw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Shaw

The others don't turn me on-but Rhodes scores goals. Harry had a look and blanked him

I thought Southampton were safe but Gareth’s goal has put them in the last day mix.
If relegated we could maybe nick 17 yo LB prospect Luke Shaw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Shaw

The others don't turn me on-but Rhodes scores goals. Harry had a look and blanked him

Southampton would have to lose more than 11-0 to be relegated (more than due to Wigan needing to beat Villa for it to occur).

Realistically they are safe.

I just don't see it. It's not like United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal are all going to sit still.

It's also not like buying two players will suddenly improve our squad depth either.

A one season wonder and a player who hasn't set foot in the premier league won't make us instant contenders.

Really, a one season wonder with almost more goals than our 3 strikers combined and a midfielder recognised as world class by most people

Yeah there not gonna stand still I agree and I'm not saying we will win the league but we showed this year that we can beat anyone including the league winners and the team that have come 2nd . Yep they will strengthen but United will be in a period on instability as too will city. Both with potentially expensive but possibly new to the EPL players

Arsenal will do what they always do which is talk about how much there gonna spend but not spend it.

Chelsea think there almost there but for me they lack defensive cover massively and will again loan ou some really good players rather than give them a chance. I also think there first choice players will end up elsewhere

Squad depth gets addressed by not loaning out players who will actually get games with us eg Townsend and Rose.

Really, a one season wonder with almost more goals than our 3 strikers combined and a midfielder recognised as world class by most people

Yeah there not gonna stand still I agree and I'm not saying we will win the league but we showed this year that we can beat anyone including the league winners and the team that have come 2nd . Yep they will strengthen but United will be in a period on instability as too will city. Both with potentially expensive but possibly new to the EPL players

Arsenal will do what they always do which is talk about how much there gonna spend but not spend it.

Chelsea think there almost there but for me they lack defensive cover massively and will again loan ou some really good players rather than give them a chance. I also think there first choice players will end up elsewhere

Squad depth gets addressed by not loaning out players who will actually get games with us eg Townsend and Rose.

I'm not sure it matter how many he has scored, within reason, he has only done it over one season and thus is by definition a one season wonder at the moment. Using our strikers as comparison is a bad idea, as our strikers have been brick and we could probably make quite a large number of strikers look good in the world who also would not be good enough for us. As with Moutinho, it's hit and miss bringing players over to the Premier league, it's hit and miss bringing players to any league, Better players than him have flopped.

We can beat anyone, which is good and fine. However challenging is far more about consistency than it is about being able to beat the top teams.

Squad depth gets sorted by buying or promoting young talented players. However the initial stages of building a squad will require more purchasing than promoting as the manager will need players who fit into his play style.

Would it have made us more successful not to loan Rose and Townsend out? Maybe, we'll never know really. Has it proven valuable that we did loan them out? Most certainly. At their age experience and regular play time is important.

Carroll has gotten what, 14 apps this season? I would wager the vast majority of which are sub apps.

Townsend got 10 apps in the half season he was here, mostly in the cups, league apps likely as a sub.

Rose has gotten 28 at Sunderland, 26 in the Premier League, the majority of them i would wager have been starts.

It's pretty obvious which player has benefited most this season, and obvious what has benefited spurs more imo.

Last edited:
In fact by loaning out Townsend and Rose we assured ourselves squad depth for next season. They weren't ready for first team action when they left, as was shown by their very inconsistent performances for us when they got their chances. They were unlikely to step up without getting games consistently and they were not going to get games consistently for us until they stepped up. Now it seems that they will be ready to do a job, in part thanks to those loan deals.

I'm not sure it matter how many he has scored, within reason, he has only done it over one season and thus is by definition a one season wonder at the moment. Using our strikers as comparison is a bad idea, as our strikers have been brick and we could probably make quite a large number of strikers look good in the world who also would not be good enough for us. As with Moutinho, it's hit and miss bringing players over to the Premier league, it's hit and miss bringing players to any league, Better players than him have flopped.

We can beat anyone, which is good and fine. However challenging is far more about consistency than it is about being able to beat the top teams.

Squad depth gets sorted by buying or promoting young talented players. However the initial stages of building a squad will require more purchasing than promoting as the manager will need players who fit into his play style.

Would it have made us more successful not to loan Rose and Townsend out? Maybe, we'll never know really. Has it proven valuable that we did loan them out? Most certainly. At their age experience and regular play time is important.

Carroll has gotten what, 14 apps this season? I would wager the vast majority of which are sub apps.

Townsend got 10 apps in the half season he was here, mostly in the cups, league apps likely as a sub.

Rose has gotten 28 at Sunderland, 26 in the Premier League, the majority of them i would wager have been starts.

It's pretty obvious which player has benefited most this season, and obvious what has benefited spurs more imo.

Dont disagree but I'd rather see Townsend get his chance with us next season rather than playing a player who doesn't suit that role e.g Benny as a left wing. And I see Carroll if he gets a chance stepping up again replacing one of the departing centre mids. I think he has been really underused but again it's useful experience

Likewise I don't disagree that Benteke is a one season performer but anyone would be at his age pretty much and in their first season. Bu he is scoring at international level too. For me he is a possible gamble but much less than dameio and looks twice the player but the it may no work for him at WHL if we got him. Any player from outside the premier league is gamble in my book and you only need to look at Torres to see what can happen

I think our squad up is significantly better than what we think it is. Hence why we will finish top 4/5 and really if we hadn't fannied about about early season could and should have been a comfortable third.

Dont disagree but I'd rather see Townsend get his chance with us next season rather than playing a player who doesn't suit that role e.g Benny as a left wing. And I see Carroll if he gets a chance stepping up again replacing one of the departing centre mids. I think he has been really underused but again it's useful experience

Likewise I don't disagree that Benteke is a one season performer but anyone would be at his age pretty much and in their first season. Bu he is scoring at international level too. For me he is a possible gamble but much less than dameio and looks twice the player but the it may no work for him at WHL if we got him. Any player from outside the premier league is gamble in my book and you only need to look at Torres to see what can happen

I think our squad up is significantly better than what we think it is. Hence why we will finish top 4/5 and really if we hadn't fannied about about early season could and should have been a comfortable third.

I agree, Braineclipse has also said it pretty bang on in that regard in my view. I am not sure about Carroll though. If we buy another creative mid, and keep the ones we have, i think he'll be sixth maybe even seventh choice? A loan may be the best option for spurs, it depends on the business we do though.

It's no secret that i am not a fan of Benteke, I don't rate him as highly as some on here, yet those that do rate him confuse me. Those that do must understand that Villa would have to be either mental to sell or receive a ludicrous offer. I don't think we do ludicrous offers, so i don't think he'll be here next season.

We could have done better in the windows thats true, however so could every team in the league.

Last edited:
I agree, Braineclipse has also said it pretty bang on in that regard in my view. I am not sure about Carroll though. If we buy another creative mid, and keep the ones we have, i think he'll be sixth maybe even seventh choice? A loan may be the best option for spurs, it depends on the business we do though.

It's no secret that i am not a fan of Benteke at the moment, I don't rate him as highly as some on here, yet those that do rate him confuse me. Those that do must understand that Villa would have to be either mental to sell or receive a ludicrous offer. I don't think we do ludicrous offers, so i don't think he'll be here next season.

We could have done better in the windows thats true, however so could every team in the league.

Regarding ludicrous offers.... bent and Bentley!!! I think we will be out gunned by someone with a hell of a lot of cash and a FFP fiddle going on but I see a lot in him that reminds me if Drogba and that for me is a player we need. I know others who really don't see I too but that's opinions and why these forums exist

My mate who I sit with things Holtby is awful whereas I the optimist see him as being a really player in Parkers position just not a number 10

I'd like Osvaldo from what I've seen of him on YouTube but I ain't gonna claim to have seen an real footage of him. Benteke I've seen live and in TV about 12 times now

I just don't wanna major wholesale changes again when we need slight tweaks. We also have 2 top draw players comings back in Kaboul and Sandro and that's a massive boost IMO

Out of curiosity does anyone thing we would have given Townsend any real game time this season?

I personally don't!

Out of curiosity does anyone thing we would have given Townsend any real game time this season?

I personally don't!

Wasn't there a UEFA game when we ended up with Naughton at RM? Maybe then.

But no - I don't think he would ever have been selected if any two of Bale, Lennon, Dempsey, Siggy and Holtby had been fit.

I personally don't!

yeah, in place of Lennon when he wasnt fit or even when he wasnt performing. The little runt needs a kick up his ass

Back