• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

If you think it's Parker's decision to be the futhest forward central midfielder, game after game, then that's your prerogative. I personally feel he's being asked to play a box to box role by our manager.

I get what your saying id be amazed if he was though, he doesnt have the legs for it anymore, surely that role should be done by Dembele

If you think it's Parker's decision to be the futhest forward central midfielder, game after game, then that's your prerogative. I personally feel he's being asked to play a box to box role by our manager.

me too

under redknapp last season he was much more disciplined i feel

eh? verts and holtby has contract issues

why didnt you use siggy, dembele and dempsey? would not work in your example i take it? i.e shopping in our own league

He also mentions Vertonghen who was a well documented Arry target and Lloris who AVB himself stated we didn't need a new goalie :lol:

I get what your saying id be amazed if he was though, he doesnt have the legs for it anymore, surely that role should be done by Dembele

mate, it's clear as day to me that AVB has instructed him to do this.

Parker can quite easily play the dicsiplined role (as showcased last season and when he plays/played for England). He debuted as a box to box mid for us (against Wolves away when Luka was out) but after that game he played the disciplined DM role. Of course there is going to be instances in games where he drove forward but this season he does it all the time, rarely sits, just bombs forward like a headless chicken. He didn't just suddenly decide to do this and he didn't just suddenly lose his great tactical discipline.

He also mentions Vertonghen who was a well documented Arry target and Lloris who AVB himself stated we didn't need a new goalie :lol:

a target during Harrys time does not mean it's a Harry target per se. same as with Leandro who is clearly a club target as opposed to any one manager despite who was in charge during the initial interest

AVB is the same as any other manager - playful with the truth when it comes to transfer deals, saying we don't need a GK doesn't mean he wasn't thinking that we do

a target during Harrys time does not mean it's a Harry target per se same as with Leandro who is clearly a club target as opposed to any one manager

AVB is the same as any other manager - playful with the truth when it comes to transfer deals, saying we don't need a GK doesn't mean he wasn't thinking that we do

True, suppose that could have been the case with Sandro for example.

a target during Harrys time does not mean it's a Harry target per se same as with Leandro who is clearly a club target as opposed to any one manager

That's exactly my point. Vertonghen was a target well before AVB took over yet Gutter Boy has mentioned him as the type of targets we will be going for with AVB in charge.

Personally speaking, i don't think AVB signed any of our summer targets. I think they were all planned well before he got here (with the exception of Dempsey who was a last minute panic buy imo). There's no way to prove it either way anyway but do i think AVB pinpointed our signings? no.

eh? verts and holtby has contract issues

why didnt you use siggy, dembele and dempsey? would not work in your example i take it? i.e shopping in our own league

Verts and Lloris were cheap - consider they were full internationals, club captains, coming into their prime. Holtby was very cheap, but obviously that was to do with his contract (I don't think this was as big an issue re Verts, as we signed him early in the window and there was plenty of competition Ajax could have milked to force a bidding war).

The players from the EPL were overpriced. £25m for Dembele and Siggy is ridiculous really. They are both decent players, but that's poor value. Dempsey again was overpriced considering his age.

For me there's just a lot more value buying straight from Europe, South America or wherever, rather than letting players trial for a year or so at Fulham/Swansea/Villa and then paying 2 or 3 times the price. I also think we have coaches now who are more capable of making these less conservative calls.

That's exactly my point. Vertonghen was a target well before AVB took over yet Gutter Boy has mentioned him as the type of targets we will be going for with AVB in charge.

yeah we're pretty much operating in an unofficial DoF type set up - im sure AVB has his input but id say there's already a well established list of players available to him to choose from or something like that. same as with Redknapp, i think he was given full charge when he first came in, to get us out of the relegation trouble (first two windows) but from then on it was a clash of ideals - no doubt helping o sway the decision to replace him in the end. (and also the reason why AVB has been given the Head Coach job as opposed to manager)

Having seen his system, do you seriously think AVB would have gone into the season without someone able to 'sweeper keep'? I was saying all last summer long (to much opposition) that there was no chance we wouldn't sign a new keeper.

Personally speaking, i don't think AVB signed any of our summer targets. I think they were all planned well before he got here (with the exception of Dempsey who was a last minute panic buy imo). There's no way to prove it either way anyway but do i think AVB pinpointed our signings? no.

I do think Verts and Siggy were pre-planned Pleat/Sherwood/Rosenthal-inspired signings.

Dempsey, Dembele and Ade were IMO panic buys when we realised we didn't have better options to replace Rafa, Modric and an alternative to Ade.

Lloris and Holtby for me are the two genuine AVB/Freund signings we've seen so far.

yeah we're pretty much operating in an unofficial DoF type set up - im sure AVB has his input but id say there's already a well established list of players available to him to choose from or something like that. same as with Redknapp, i think he was given full charge when he first came in, to get us out of the relegation trouble (first two windows) but from then on it was a clash of ideals - no doubt helping o sway the decision to replace him in the end. (and also the reason why AVB has been given the Head Coach job as opposed to manager)

AVB was the one last summer who was publicly lobbying for a DoF. That's how he seemingly prefers to work.

But I think he wants one he can trust/is in tune with, which I'm not sure is the case with the Sherwood-led transfer committee.

I think AVB may use his success this summer in a power battle to force Levy to clear out the old guard behind the scenes and get a DoF brought in that he feels he can better work with.

I agree, but it is only my viewpoint, which is funny because a Manager if he is going to be judged fairly should be identifying the majority of the targets and transfers. It is also funny as I think in the past some have said that in future Levy will back the Manager. Im not really talking about transfer funds but more to do with buying the players the Manager identifies.

I think Managers should be given free reign to buy whoever they want - by free reign I dont mean spend 100m on one player but by working within a transfer strategy (which would have been discussed and agreed in interviews etc) but getting in his own players. Like I mentioned, it appears unfair that a Manager can be judged based on his performances but is unable to bring in who he wants to succeed.

What do you mean by planned? That we had identified the players we signed in the summer ahead of agreeing with AVB and just went ahead with those signings?

I think we had most of the players we signed on some kind of shortlist already, along with a lot of other players. Probably there were meetings between AVB, Levy and the rest of the transfer team where AVB would have added some names, removed some names and changed some of the priorities along with the rest of the team.

We then tried to move on those targets in a somewhat prioritized order, going for those the transfer team as a whole agreed on as our primary targets first and then moving down the lists of players for the various positions.

I agree, but it is only my viewpoint, which is funny because a Manager if he is going to be judged fairly should be identifying the majority of the targets and transfers. It is also funny as I think in the past some have said that in future Levy will back the Manager. Im not really talking about transfer funds but more to do with buying the players the Manager identifies.

I think Managers should be given free reign to buy whoever they want - by free reign I dont mean spend 100m on one player but by working within a transfer strategy (which would have been discussed and agreed in interviews etc) but getting in his own players. Like I mentioned, it appears unfair that a Manager can be judged based on his performances but is unable to bring in who he wants to succeed.

it's a balancing act which is for a club in our position needs to be done well in order for us to succeed - we need to maximize our potential in order to break the top 4 - which means buying players with more than the next year or two in mind, with the modern day turnaround in managers being 2/3 years someone needs to be looking at the bigger picture when it comes to transfers.

giving one man full control has the potential to set us back years if it goes wrong, personally im glad we don't do this

it's a balancing act which is for a club in our position needs to be done well in order for us to succeed - we need to maximize our potential in order to break the top 4 - which means buying players with more than the next year or two in mind, which with the modern day turnaround in managers being 2/3 years needs someone looking at the bigger picture when it comes to transfers.

giving one man full control of transfers has the potential to set us back years if it goes wrong, personally im glad we don't do this

I agree fully. Anything done "by committee" seems to get flak, but I like that there's more than one man making those decisions. Not least you need someone with the long term financial interests of the club at the table, and in my opinion for a club like us to succeed at the level we want to be you need a transfer policy that targets younger players over more experienced in general (not to say that there can't be any exceptions).

I agree fully. Anything done "by committee" seems to get flak, but I like that there's more than one man making those decisions. Not least you need someone with the long term financial interests of the club at the table, and in my opinion for a club like us to succeed at the level we want to be you need a transfer policy that targets younger players over more experienced in general (not to say that there can't be any exceptions).

I deal with Committees on a daily basis and half of them who sit on those things dont have a clue and it becomes a tea, coffee and biscuit session.

I agree, also with Billy, that the longer term future needs to be borne in mind when buying players but as I said that would have been the strategy which im sure would have been discussed and agreed with AVB.

So if AVB wants a Mark Schwarzer for 100k a week on a 5 yr contract, Levy rightly so would reject it. However if AVB says there is x player and fits within my budget then Levy should go out get him. The Committee, which im sure AVB would sit on, shouldnt be deciding that as they would have agreed the strategy and AVB chose a player who fits that strategy.

Those players we brought in the summer, in my view werent AVB signings and to have players who the Manager never chose actually costs more money than had it been AVB bringing in HIS players. Its counter productive.

Billy - im not talking about giving AVB control, as he has a policy to work within, but you gotta give him control over who he brings in providing its within the policy.

(Its obvious that I dont think many, if any of them, were AVB signings so it shapes the way im thinking things in here)

it's all guess work really how much control AVB actually has - he could be happy with working purely with what he's given, he may have the chance to approve any first team transfers - we just don't know, all we do know is that he accepted the job and was no doubt made aware of the transfer policy (hence his title)

id imagine it's not far from what you want - i think Levy will go for players that AVB wants, i think we would have got in Mouthino, for example, had the transfer not been so complicated by outside ownership issues. i don't think it's as easy to say "well we never got him so we are not backing the manager" (not that that's what you're saying) but i think summer just gone Villa Boas was happy with the shortlist the club had prepared (Lloris, Vertongen Dembele, Sigurdsson etc etc) plus the possibility of Mouthino as a bonus or whatever if we could make it work. i'll be interested to see how things develop this transfer window for sure

Back