1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading the Team

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by SpurMeUp, 15 May 2018.

1. elyid

elyid Kasey Keller

Wouldn't mind giving Jansen another try if he's up for it and happy to only get a few games.

Reckon he could do well just being a target man for our AM's to play off.

spurrrr, harr1984, parklane1 and 2 others like this.
  2. DeleHarry

DeleHarry Jose Dominguez

The club might cash in on Son now because of the national service thing

3. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Chris Jones

I think full backs and CM are the positions we need to upgrade on. Not so much Trippier as he's impressed me at the WC.

Whilst Davies is a fine player, I don't think he's quite good enough for the level we aspire to be at i.e. champions.

4. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Davies was our second best player last season after Verts.

5. billyiddo

billyiddo Gary Stevens Staff Member

Davies is one of the last players we should be worrying about upgrading

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  6. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Neil Ruddock

Think I'd have Eriksen a touch in front of Davies!

7. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Neil Ruddock

Not sure where to put this but how many of last seasons preferred starting 11 do we think we will see in the first few games? 30 days until our first game and they've all (bar Davies for Rose) been at the world cup....most going deep.

These men might get more game time in the first few games than some might expect.

Aurier
    Foyth
    Sissoko
    Wanyama
    Winks
    Moura
    Lamela

I haven't factored signings in (they will take time to settle anyway) but I imagine someone like Sissoko will be thrown in a lot early on.

8. billyiddo

Lloris
    Aurier Dier Sanchez Davies
    Wanyama Winks
    Lamela Eriksen Moura
    Son
    something like that id presume

9. Jordinho

Jordinho Tony Marchi Staff Member

Son probably won't be back until the Liverpool match at the earliest as the Asian Games start mid August.

10. rosenthal

rosenthal Sebastien Bassong

Son will be away with South Korea at our season start

11. billyiddo

ok i hear ya...

Lloris
    Aurier Dier Sanchez Davies
    Wanyama Winks
    Lamela Eriksen Moura
    Sissoko

sorted

12. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Neil Ruddock

I'm definitely concerned about the first 4-6 games (especially with the Son situ). Could be an advantage for any settled squad that didn't have a lot of WC commitments.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  13. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Ian Walker

It mandates signing a new Forward, Janssen coming back into the fold or possibly getting Moura ready. He's small, but he could be Agueroesque up front if Poch gets him honed.

14. SpurSF

SpurSF Stephen Clemence

The longer this window goes without us making any real signings, the more I've started to wonder if maybe Poch might be looking for replacements for the outgoing Dembele, Alderweireld, Sissoko, Janssen, GKN, and Llorente from within. And maybe, some of the frustration that a lot of people are having with a lack of big-name signings, actually is good news about how some of our young players are looking and how well stocked our squad ALREADY is.

It looks like Grealish is the only player who is really imminent and that he is seen mostly as an 8. If that's the case, I wonder if we could go in with the 25-man squad looking like...

SOLD: Sissoko, Dembele, Alderweireld, Janssen, GKN, LLorente
    BOUGHT: Grealish
    —————
    23 Senior Players
    "()" players are doubles and youth players are in italics

GK: Lloris, Vorm, Gazza

RB: Trippier, Aurier, KWP
    LB: Davies, Rose, (KWP)
    CB1: Sanchez, Foyth
    CB2: JVT, (Dier), CCV

DM: Dier, Wanyama, TOB
    CM: Winks, Grealish, Onomah

AM: Eriksen, Lamela
    Wide Forward: Son, Lucas
    Second ST: Dele, (Lamela), Edwards
    ST: Kane, (Son), Sterling
    ———————

If Winks is fit, I think he's more than ready to replace Dembele as our first choice CM. And if Grealish is being signed for 20 mil, we have to think he's ready to be a solid back-up in that role. The idea of a big-money replacement like N'Dombele or Kovavic is exciting, but it also looks super unlikely at this stage. I also think Onomah is ready to take the utility Sissoko minutes. And if he isn't, then I struggle to see how he has a future at the club at 21. Sissoko played nearly 1,800 minutes last year at a pretty average level. That's easily enough for Onomah to stake his claim and impress Poch.

Up front, you basically have six senior pros (Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Kane, Dele, Moura) for four spots. Four of those players (aka not Eriksen or Kane) can play in multiple positions, and all would be expecting to play a ton. Plus, moving GKN would open up the door for Cup/rotation/Son-on-International-duty minutes for one of our young players (pleassse sort it out Marcus), so I think we're probably fine there.

The place I think we're most light at is CB. And the truth is, nobody knows how good Foyth or CCV are at this point. I theoretically love the idea of both getting extended minutes this season, but only Poch and the staff can say for sure. It looks like Poch is giving them the chance to prove themselves in pre-season, but I still think we could probably add one more like Pavard or Maguire or De Ligt or whoever. Also, another CB would obv allow us to play 3AB more easily as well.

I don't know, but I'm starting to feel like our lack of business might actually be a GOOD sign for the way the squad is shaping up. But then again, I could be dead wrong.

15. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Pedro Mendes

You are having a laugh, he may not be world class but he has done enough to merit a place in our squad

Kandi1977 likes this.
  16. billyiddo

Im not sure that would tie in with Pochs comments regarding a new approach in order to move forward/taking us as far as he can - though that would depend on whether he thinks we have been putting faith in the academy players or not. Would certainly be brave/crazy (as per his quotes) i guess

17. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Johnny Morrison

Why does everyone keep selling Sissoko? Not sure he's going anywhere.

18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Erik Thorstvedt

Was chatting to a mate earlier (Leeds fan) and football came up

He made a very valid simple comment...

Your gonna struggle to improve a team that had 9 players in the World Cup semis!!!!!!

Jon, Kandi1977 and SpurSF like this.
  19. SpurSF

SpurSF Stephen Clemence

Like you, I first read those "Brave" quotes as we'd need to spend big, but I read a thing by Alasdair Gold (really one of the most credible Spurs journalists out there). And he was saying that it might be more to do w/ selling certain senior pros who we've relied on (Dembele, Alderweireld) in the past. And maybe it's about trusting young players or our current squad players to take our club to the next level.

Maybe it's a rose-tinted way to look at it, but I'd think that Levy would be backing Poch if he really thought we needed to bring a bunch of expensive guys in.

glasgowspur likes this.
  20. SpurSF

SpurSF Stephen Clemence

He'll be hard to shift without taking a huge loss on, but the reason I'd like to see him sold is I think he's extremely limited and is blocking the development of Onomah. Obviously it only matters what Poch and his staff think, but that's why I hope we sell him.