1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Trump and American politics

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Danishfurniturelover, 26 Jan 2016.

1. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

It's like a scene from the walking dead. Ironic.

MKSpur, Mikey10, Robbo and 3 others like this.
  2. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Dean Austin

That Trump, I know he says some ridiculous things, i know he's a vicious bully and I know that he is morally bankrupt and totally corrupt...but he has done some good things you know. This is the Kool Aid drinker meteorology, Just complete denial of any reality.

3. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

4. P.D.

P.D. Mitchell Thomas

I've never heard this, do you have any links?

I think Obama was obviously a far better president but it shows the power of persona here, Obama had a slick team which enables you to get away with things without the same level of scrutiny whilst Trump being the idiot he is gets criticism from all angles (90% of it more than justified) but because it's Trump even when he does anything remotely sensible/good he's seized upon.

If you look at Obama for instance he deported far more people than Trump but its not really discussed, he didn't shut down the NSA, kept the drone programme going even whilst giving speeches about how he'd end it and never followed through on shutting down Guantanomo Bay.

SpurMeUp likes this.
  5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Les Ferdinand

And this is the finest American that Trump could find to appoint as Counselor to the President!

Baleforce likes this.
  6. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

This is one of the main themes in Jane Meyer's famous Dark Money book.

7. Trixster

Trixster Nico Claesen

I'll grant them one thing they have gotten right in the whole debacle, at least their keeping us entertained with explanations like this :D

8. P.D.

P.D. Mitchell Thomas

I shall add it to my list along with the one you mentioned the other day (I think it was you - the uninhabitable earth), infact those 2 books along with doughnut economics are my next 3 planned reads now.

9. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

That's a good list. I've seen Kate Raworth talk a few times but not read her book yet.

P.D. likes this.
  10. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 John Lacy

Alot of it is PR, I always believe that, thats why I don't go in on Trump or Boris like others because the same people kept quiet when Obama was terrible in equal areas.

11. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

There's much to dislike about the Chinese government. Standing up to them seems like a good cause. I think the way it was done was the wrong approach. I doubt there will be long term positive results. Would be interested to hear which experts outside the Trump administration and the obvious media supporters who think that's going well.

Iran... Why should the rest of the the world control which countries can have nuclear weapons with no financial incentives for the countries cooperating? We obviously don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons... The deal seemed to ensure that, at some cost, but with the benefits of long terms trade and cooperation. The cost and consequences of Iran getting nuclear weapons would be much greater imo. Trump has helped the hardliners in Iran imo. And his claims that he could get a better deal (wasn't that the claim?) are so far completely unsupported.

Robbo, DTA and AuroRaman like this.
  12. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

He got plenty of criticism at the time. He's getting plenty of criticism still. Well deserved.

He kept minimising the virus for a very long time. He kept doing nothing. Now at the height of the outbreak he's cutting WHO funding.

13. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Milija Aleksic

Cutting WHO funding in the middle of a pandemic doesn't warrant applause, praise or show any sign of strategical leadership. It's fudging moronic.

14. wiziwig

wiziwig Steed Malbranque

And in Jayne Meyer's book, she also criticises Obama for his Drone attacks but then, it's all a little 4chan to criticise that particular president..

Grays_1890 likes this.
  15. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 John Lacy

They are not above criticism though and they messed up hugely. Also if Trump feels the money can be used to meet their and his objectives locally in the US.

WHO states its main objective as ensuring "the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health", they were terrible in Jan for that

They have been involved in 12 controversies in recent years, they are not above everyone.

wiziwig likes this.
  16. wiziwig

wiziwig Steed Malbranque

He could've done better but that's simply not true ...

Mid January..

Late February..

It could be argued that Trump should've stopped all incoming flights from Asia but then his critics would have accused him of going KKK...

The Democrats would've fared no better in the situation had they been in power as just like Trump and all the other western leaders, they're bound by the four pillars of globalism...

17. wiziwig

wiziwig Steed Malbranque

A new $200bn Chinese/USA trade deal happened in mid January that were viewed as favourable to the USA . Just days after the deal were completed, the WHO were changing their tune regarding the seriousness of the virus.

Apparently, much of that $200bn deal is now null and void due to the pandemic. Trump rightly IMO, feels let down by the WHO, due to their incompetence or something much worse.

18. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

I don't remember drone attacks being mentioned in Dark Money (is that what you are referring to? Jane Mayer?) but it might be. Obama drone wars were a travesty, especially the extrajudicial killings and civilian deaths. It was blurring of the lines with regards to the war on terror and misuse of the blanket retaliation powers granted in the wake of 9/11. He was widely criticised for this at the time and rightly so. Equally, Trump should be criticised for increasing the frequency of drone attacks relative to time in office and revoking the rule requiring reporting on the number of civilians deaths, so he's no better and maybe worse.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2020
    thfcsteff, AuroRaman and DTA like this.
  19. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

Stopping of flights from China might have bought some time, or maybe none, but any time was squandered through inaction. The virus had already caught hold before the flight ban as some 400k people had already come from China after the virus surfaced and before the ban. And even after the ban another 40k came in!!! And even if they went full KKK as you say (not mostly famous for their anti-Asian stance) it was probably European travelers that imported more of the virus. The horse had bolted.

Who knows how a democratic administration would have fared with Corona but they did pretty well with the Ebola outbreak. We can do a comparison if you want but there really is none. Their handling of it was exemplary and they literally wrote the book about it, which needless to say was ignored by this administration. Trump's handling of this virus has been textbook incompetence.

20. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Milija Aleksic

I agree with you and at no point did I state they were 'above criticism' in my post. This move by Trump/his administration has nothing to do with feeling the money can be used elsewhere and purely a self-serving and deflection move. His and his administration's previous can attest to that throughout their tenure in the White House thus far.

thfcsteff and ricky2tricky4city like this.