• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

TBF for those clubs that are signing them that’s good value
If it keeps them up it’s job done
Playing devil's advocate, would it not also be good value if those were the signings that got us Champions League football again?

That said, £33M is A LOT of money for a kid without top-division experience. I don't know much about Brentford, but they strike me as a well-run club and a well-managed team -- how will he do away from that environment?

I do think £20M is well worth it for a someone who could play CF and give Kane a rest. Or provide an alternative from the bench. I'm not sure Wilson's that player, but there aren't many options out there.

Playing devil's advocate, would it not also be good value if those were the signings that got us Champions League football again?

That said, £33M is A LOT of money for a kid without top-division experience. I don't know much about Brentford, but they strike me as a well-run club and a well-managed team -- how will he do away from that environment?

I do think £20M is well worth it for a someone who could play CF and give Kane a rest. Or provide an alternative from the bench. I'm not sure Wilson's that player, but there aren't many options out there.
Yeah all fair views
I like Watkins and he may well score a few there depending on the supply line
They also have McGinn back now and he was sorely missed for villa
I’d still wager that son as our second striker will score more goals than either Wilson or Watkins do next season as he is better. And yeah I don’t want him as cover but he can cover until we get that striker that I’m convinced we want

The devil will need better representation than that...

I'm rather convinced we want a backup striker btw, I think we need one.

If a player gets us CL football that's easily worth more than those fees. It's not that simple though. The question should (imo) be how much more likely is it that we get CL football with that signing than without. Og course that would have to be an estimate, we can never know for sure.

Similarly for teams expected to fight against relegation.

The devil will need better representation than that...

I'm rather convinced we want a backup striker btw, I think we need one.

If a player gets us CL football that's easily worth more than those fees. It's not that simple though. The question should (imo) be how much more likely is it that we get CL football with that signing than without. Og course that would have to be an estimate, we can never know for sure.

Similarly for teams expected to fight against relegation.

It's pretty clear we are targeting a backup striker, I think Jose believes in the out and out striker more than Poch.

I'd say at this point we simply believe there are better options out there for the money (33M in the Covid world is an outrageous fee for a championship striker)

I think it might be Jimenez still. There were links way back and that new Wolves wonderkid will be expecting to start. Besides all the other options seem to be disappearing pretty quick

I think it might be Jimenez still. There were links way back and that new Wolves wonderkid will be expecting to start. Besides all the other options seem to be disappearing pretty quick

I can’t see it.

it’s going to be Deeney on deadline day.

we desperately needed someone in for this first run of games

Yes, I have a feeling it could be this too, albeit not based on much hard evidence.

I can’t see it.

Ah bargain basement last minute shopping. Saha all over again.

Can’t see it , We would be mad to sign him. Would say a lot about our ambition he’s a championship footballer at best.

I can’t see it.

There was talk of a one year loan earlier in the window. We'd want to see how he is recovering from his injury first.

Yeah all fair views
I like Watkins and he may well score a few there depending on the supply line
They also have McGinn back now and he was sorely missed for villa
I’d still wager that son as our second striker will score more goals than either Wilson or Watkins do next season as he is better. And yeah I don’t want him as cover but he can cover until we get that striker that I’m convinced we want
Problem is when Son replaces Kane it weakens two positions.

I think the key to the above posts is that it is cover, not better or equal players to Son.
Moura doesn’t score at the same rate and is even less effective on the left, Bergwijn has shown a little promise but a way to go to equal Son. Sessegnon is a way off and Lamela shouldn’t be a consideration.
Whoever we get in won’t be as good as Kane, so I’d prefer Sonny to be in the same team supporting them rather than reducing the goal threat from another area. We accept cover and lower quality backup across the rest of the team, not sure why we would want to continue to not do it in attack. Would also be nice to give Kane a rest whist still having a physical presence, as at today I cannot see how we’d ever rest Kane and Son at the same time.
I got the impression from the amazon doc that Mourinho had been very specific about a striker, whether that be a target man or a player who can also play wide, so a panic buy in Jan would have been to the detriment of the longer term, but I sincerely hope we don’t go into this season exposing ourselves to exactly the same risks again.

Back